anon

Default piano micing

i posted a while back about micing a grand piano. the room is small.
ceilings are about 11 ft high

i was using ribbon mics and an old ampex mixer and it sounded horrible- too
boomy and no definition

the latest incarnation is using a great river mp with neuman km 184's. so
far this is the best sound yet. the gr really tightened up the mid section
and the highs. on my speakers at home it sounds good to me on playback. i
listened on some old large bose speakers and it still sounds too boomy in
the bass register and low mid register. i've heard other recordings on the
bose speakers that sound fine, so i can't blame the speakers. or could i
blame my home monitors for being too mid and high oriented and not bass
oriented enough

i will try close micing next with the mics near the hammers at either end of
the keyboard facing eachother

wondering if a transformer mic will tighten up the low end, or if a
different mic is in order.

i was considering getting some bass traps around the walls of the piano and
maybe a carpet underneath the piano but i was cautioned against this by a
musician i trust.

open to suggestions that dont cost too much. 100 hz rolloff? even though i
dont have a mixer to do this

i have two rode classic mics and two akg61's that i havent tried yet and
also some 57's

come to think of it the rodes have a bass rolloff so maybe this is the next
thing to try, though for some reason i think the small diaphragms are best
for a piano

piano micing anon Pro Audio 33 December 4th 04 03:21 AM
Micing a piano .. please help! Daniel Pro Audio 4 November 27th 03 10:17 AM
1895 Steinway B Grand Piano (New York)--In all fairness please fill out form below!!---sellers unwilling or unable to do so!! [email protected] Pro Audio 0 October 18th 03 08:13 AM
9' concert grand piano for auction in NYC CHEAP Mark107 Pro Audio 4 July 23rd 03 03:44 AM
Who pays for the piano tuning at your studio? David Morgan \(MAMS\) Pro Audio 79 July 13th 03 09:57 PM