DanG2015

Default Audio/Video Splitting

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I couldn't find anything
relevent with a quick google search, so if you could put up with one more
splitting question ;-)

On a video device with RCA S-Video and R/L audio outputs, I need to
feed the signal to a few devices. In this particular case, I have an HDTV
receiver with one S-Video output, one R/L audio, and a set of component
video outputs.

The component video goes to the TV (good). The audio goes to the
TV (good).

But I'd like the audio and S-video to go to a modulator for whole-house
distribution [yes, I do know that it would be regular old NTSC, not HD],
to a recorder, and the audio one more time to the home theatre amp
[see note below].

So that's a couple splits for the S-video and even more for the audio.
I was looking at a neat splitter cable from ChannelPlus
(http://www.multiplextechnology.com/c...usic/2743.html)
but I don't know how many times you can split S-video and audio without
hurting it. I'm not after 100% performance here, but I don't want 75% either.

I *assume* that the source S-video and audio drivers are decent and that
all the receiver inputs are high impedance, so as far as sucking signal levels
down, I'm guessing I'm OK, but I'm not sure about termination, ringing, etc.
Am I kidding myself? If I cannot Y-cable split these, any suggestions?

If I get a distribution S-video/audio splitter, won't these add noise into
the system as much as splitting would hurt? I'd surely appreciate anyone
who knows their stuff to comment briefly on this.

I tried connecting the home theatre amplifier to the MONITOR OUT on the
TV (fairly recent & decent HDTV) but I have to crank the TV volume and
the amp volume to get good levels out of it. So I'm thinking that I should
feel the amp with direct feeds from each video/audio source... offhand,
(generally), is feeding from the TV MONITOR OUT audio line an "OK" thing,
or is it generally thought be a crappy thing to do?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Jerry G.

If you look in the places that sell HiFi A/V type equipment, I am sure that
they will have an AV splitter for S-Video systems. This would have to be an
active device to do this type of task. You cannot directly bridge the output
of your units, because there would be impedance matching issues.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"DanG2015" wrote in message
[...]

Tomi Holger Engdahl

(
http://www.multiplextechnology.com/c...usic/2743.html)
but I don't know how many times you can split S-video and audio without
hurting it. I'm not after 100% performance here, but I don't want 75% either.

I *assume* that the source S-video and audio drivers are decent and that
all the receiver inputs are high impedance, so as far as sucking signal levels
down, I'm guessing I'm OK, but I'm not sure about termination, ringing, etc.
Am I kidding myself?

For audio applications Y-splitting the signal to 2-4 devices is OK.
The outputs is quite low impedance and the inputs are high impedance.

For baseband video signal interfaces (this includes composite video,
S-video, component video, RGB) things are different. All the outputs
and inputs are designed to have 75 ohm impedance.
If you connect one output to more then one input, you create
an impedance mismatch that cause sigla level dropping
and possibly signal reflection problems (visible on long cables).
It depends on the devices used, but sometimes with short cables
splitting one video output to two input works quite OK,
usually makes the picture slightly darker. Sometimes thing
get more messed up (some devices might not sync to weak signal
at all etc.O)

If I cannot Y-cable split these, any suggestions?

For video signals you need a video splitter / distribution amplifier.

If I get a distribution S-video/audio splitter, won't these add noise into
the system as much as splitting would hurt?

A well designed S-video splitter does not add any noise to the
picture you would notice. Using a proper amplifier for video
is always better than direct splitting and hurts signal less.

I'd surely appreciate anyone
who knows their stuff to comment briefly on this.

I tried connecting the home theatre amplifier to the MONITOR OUT on the
TV (fairly recent & decent HDTV) but I have to crank the TV volume and
the amp volume to get good levels out of it. So I'm thinking that I should
feel the amp with direct feeds from each video/audio source... offhand,
(generally), is feeding from the TV MONITOR OUT audio line an "OK" thing,
or is it generally thought be a crappy thing to do?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

Richard Crowley

"DanG2015" wrote ...
I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I couldn't find anything
relevent with a quick google search, so if you could put up with one more
splitting question ;-)

On a video device with RCA S-Video and R/L audio outputs, I need to
feed the signal to a few devices. In this particular case, I have an HDTV
receiver with one S-Video output, one R/L audio, and a set of component
video outputs.

The component video goes to the TV (good). The audio goes to the
TV (good).

But I'd like the audio and S-video to go to a modulator for whole-house
distribution [yes, I do know that it would be regular old NTSC, not HD],
to a recorder, and the audio one more time to the home theatre amp
[see note below].

So that's a couple splits for the S-video

You described only routing the S-video output to your modulator.
Please identify the other destination for S-video. What you described
seems like no splits at all to me. It is single conventional Y/C cable
from the HDTV receiver output to the modulator input.

and even more for the audio.

You described the audio going to only two destinations: your TV,
and your modulator. If there are additional destinations, I missed
them from your description.

I was looking at a neat splitter cable from ChannelPlus
(http://www.multiplextechnology.com/c...usic/2743.html)
but I don't know how many times you can split S-video and audio without
hurting it. I'm not after 100% performance here, but I don't want 75%

either.

That cable is intended for use with ChannelPlus modulators
which have "75 ohm termination jumpers on all channels to loop-
through the video and audio signals" Unless you are using it with
equipment that has the option to remove the video termination, it
will provide poor to useless performance for video.

Audio can be "split" (or more correctly "bridged") several (3~5)
times assuming conventional low-impedance (~1K) source and
conventional high-impedance (~10K) loads.

RF can be "split" many times depending on the source level. But
you are not dealing with RF here.

Video CANNOT be "split". Some video equipment has "bridging"
inputs which can be daisy-chained to several high-impedance
destinations, with the last being terminated in 75-ohms. For example
the modulators shown on the ChannelPlus website have exactly
this sort of switchable termination.

I *assume* that the source S-video and audio drivers are decent

That is a safe assumption, IMHO.

and that all the receiver inputs are high impedance, so as far as
sucking signal levels down,

Yes, audio inputs are likely to be high impedance.

NO, S-video (or composite video) inputs are practically guaranteed
to be low-impedance, 75 ohms unless there is a switch to remove the
termination.

I'm guessing I'm OK, but I'm not sure about termination, ringing, etc.

I'm with you on audio. I think you are fundamentally confused about
video.

Am I kidding myself? If I cannot Y-cable split these, any suggestions?

Audio, generally yes.

Video, never unless you can de-select termination on all inputs except
the last one (as with the ChannelPlus modulators).

If I get a distribution S-video/audio splitter, won't these add noise into
the system as much as splitting would hurt? I'd surely appreciate anyone
who knows their stuff to comment briefly on this.

You likely don't need a DA for the audio in the configuration you
describe here (one output to two inputs).

Not using a DA for video will result in sub-standard video levels
which have an excelent potential for looking far worse than any
distortion/noise from the cheapest DA.

OTOH, you don't appear to need a DA or a splitter for your
single path of Y/C video from your HDTV receiver to your
modulator.

DanG2015

On a video device with RCA S-Video and R/L audio outputs, I need to
feed the signal to a few devices

Man, I was up way too late. I said "S-Video" all over the place
and meant composite. Sorry.

DanG2015

You described only routing the S-video output to your modulator.
Please identify the other destination for S-video. What you described
seems like no splits at all to me. It is single conventional Y/C cable
from the HDTV receiver output to the modulator input.

[pardon the text drawing; the following is what's desired; And where
I said S-Video, I meant composite... I was typing and not thinking and
those are best done at or near the same time ;-) ]

HDTV receiver component out ------- HDTV component in

HDTV receiver composite out

+------------ VCR composite in
+------------ HardDisk recorder composite in
+------------ RF Modulator composite in

HDTV receiver audio out

+------------ HDTV audio in
+------------ VCR audio in
+------------ HardDisk recorder audio in
+------------ RF Modulator audio in

I might be able to toss one of those... for example, the
VCR could pick up the remodulated signal from the
RF Modulator over coax... but the above is the original
goal.

That cable is intended for use with ChannelPlus modulators
which have "75 ohm termination jumpers on all channels to loop-
through the video and audio signals" Unless you are using it with
equipment that has the option to remove the video termination, it
will provide poor to useless performance for video.

Now I understand; I have a little homework to do in regards to
termination, but I'll guess that it's not going to snap together
without a little more thinking.

RF can be "split" many times depending on the source level. But
you are not dealing with RF here.

Understood - and I've already included an active RF distribution
amp in the project. To ensure a clean split. It's not really germane
to the composite video split discussion, though.

NO, S-video (or composite video) inputs are practically guaranteed
to be low-impedance, 75 ohms unless there is a switch to remove the
termination.

I was aware of 50 ohm/75 ohm issues with coax, etc. I just didn't
realize that the more narrow-band composite signal was like this.
Although I should have... it's obviously not a 10 Hz signal :-(

Video, never unless you can de-select termination on all inputs except
the last one (as with the ChannelPlus modulators).

So, the following would be practical and still achieve a good signal?

Source --------Y---- Sink w/o termination

Y---- Sink w/o termination

Y---- Sink WITH termination

or is this viable only for one unterminated sink then a bridge
over to one terminated sink and call it done?

Thanks for the advice,

Dan

Richard Crowley

"DanG2015" wrote in message
On a video device with RCA S-Video and R/L audio outputs, I need to
feed the signal to a few devices

Man, I was up way too late. I said "S-Video" all over the place
and meant composite. Sorry.

Doesn't change a thing. Consumer composite inputs are only
infinitesimally more likely to have termination lift feature than
Y/C ("S-Video") inputs. (Practically zero in the real world.)

Richard Crowley

"DanG2015" wrote ...
[pardon the text drawing; the following is what's desired; And where
I said S-Video, I meant composite... I was typing and not thinking and
those are best done at or near the same time ;-) ]

My confusion stemed from the fact that you didn't mention the
HDR and VCR destinations in your original question.

HDTV receiver component out ------- HDTV component in

HDTV receiver composite out

+------------ VCR composite in
+------------ HardDisk recorder composite in
+------------ RF Modulator composite in

HDTV receiver audio out

+------------ HDTV audio in
+------------ VCR audio in
+------------ HardDisk recorder audio in
+------------ RF Modulator audio in

I might be able to toss one of those... for example, the
VCR could pick up the remodulated signal from the
RF Modulator over coax... but the above is the original
goal.

Even the cheap ($45) Radio Shack DA (#15-1172) will
likely do a perfectly fine job.

So, the following would be practical and still achieve a good signal?

Source --------Y---- Sink w/o termination

Y---- Sink w/o termination

Y---- Sink WITH termination

or is this viable only for one unterminated sink then a bridge
over to one terminated sink and call it done?

Yes, it would possibly work, but the chances that two (or even one)
of your destinations can have their termination switched off seem
slim and none.

DanG2015

Man, I was up way too late. I said "S-Video" all over the place
and meant composite. Sorry.

Doesn't change a thing. Consumer composite inputs are only
infinitesimally more likely to have termination lift feature than
Y/C ("S-Video") inputs. (Practically zero in the real world.)

Understood. My last "is this how its done" question was more
so that I learn a little something here. Other than the also-nearly-
impossible hope of opening up a box and finding and removing
the termination resistance (probably built into an IC amplifier),
I'd guess that only something ultra-high-end would have settable
input termination. But I learned a little something about baseband
that I thought only applied to broadband, so thanks again!

Dan

Richard Crowley

"DanG2015" wrote in message
Man, I was up way too late. I said "S-Video" all over the place
and meant composite. Sorry.

Doesn't change a thing. Consumer composite inputs are only
infinitesimally more likely to have termination lift feature than
Y/C ("S-Video") inputs. (Practically zero in the real world.)

Understood. My last "is this how its done" question was more
so that I learn a little something here. Other than the also-nearly-
impossible hope of opening up a box and finding and removing
the termination resistance (probably built into an IC amplifier),

More than likely a separate 75-ohm resistor that could be
removed if you really wanted to go to that much trouble.
IMHO, better to use a distribution amplifier and keep all
the equipment stock.