Timothy Ball

Default Suggestions for a surround setup

I am in the process of finishing my home thearter system (5.1 setup),
the last bit is the surrounds. I am looking for advice about what amp
and speaker combo I should go with. My current equipment is:
- B&K Ref 50
- Mackie HR-824 (R/L)
- Mackie HR-626 (C)
- HSU VTF-3
- phillips 963sa dvd/sacd player
- tivo2

I'm a big fan of active speakers but have yet to find a suitable set of
surround speakers. (To me part of the word "suitable" is that they are
cheaper than my car.) Obviously the "right" choice would be to buy
another pair of Mackie speakers, but there are several reasons I don't
want to do that: they're expensive; hard to mount in a surround
application; sorta "huge" for surround speakers.

So I'm left thinking about going the passive speaker route, but I don't
know what sort of amp/speakers I should shoot for. Currently I own a
pair of Polk Ms that I will probably use as interm surround speakers,
but I do not yet own a 2 channel amp.

So I ask you RAHE readers... what should I get?

--timball