Default Pioneer AV Receiver problem

Hi,

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-43 AV Receiver, which I had bought less than
2 years ago. Here is the history followed by the problem:

It was working excellent, until I took out all the connections, cleaned
up the rack in which the receiver was sitting (not with any solution of
course), cleaned up my room, and put all the connections back in place.
No problem with that. But I did not turn on the receiver yet, which I
probably should have then. I went out of the country. Came back after a
couple of months. Now, I turn the receiver on (I have Atlantic
Technology home theater speakers connected to it), only to find it
switches itself off once the sound starts to come in from tv/dvd/tape.
So I left it on for a couple of hours, then come back, and tried
playing my dvd. Now, it plays for 30-40 seconds, and turns itself off.
Now, if I switch to stereo mode, then there's no problem: It keeps the
power on, I can hear music etc. Once I start to set the music/movie
modes to ROCK, 5ChannelMode, THX etc etc, the receiver turns itslef
off.

I checked all the connections and they are perfect. I don't understand
why the receiver turns itself off once the sound signal from the
dvd/tv/tape starts coming in.

FYI: I have tried both analog and digital connections.

Please, I would really appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks,

-Vijay
chung

[...]

What I would do is to disconnect all the speakers, and see if the
receiver turns itself off when you are in these multi-channel modes. It
if still does, then you probably need to take it to a shop to repair.

Assuming that the receiver does not switch itself off when all the
speakers are disconnected, reconnect the L/R speakers. And then connect
up the rest of the speakers one at a time. The idea is to find out if
any one of the speakers is causing the receiver to turn itself off
(which is likely a safety feature to protect the receiver from running
too hot and damaging itself).
Dr Hfuhruhurr

Sound like an issue when it's in multi-speaker mode then. Have you
tried disconnecting any surround speakers, leaving just the main stereo
pair attached, and letting it switch to any of the surround settings?
If so does it exhibit the same problem?

Doc

Oh yes... now it works like a charm. I removed all the speakers, and
one by one, started to connect them. It turned out that my left
surround speaker had it's +ve and -ve wires touching each other. I
adjusted it, and the receiver is doing great now. Thanks to everyone
for your timely help. I just got married and returned, and I did not
want to look like a slump in front of my wife!!!! Thanks once again...