Hot Glass Audio

Default Audio Potentiometers

Hi All,

I'm looking for a source that supplies audio potentiometers, namely a
dual-ganged 500K Ohm log taper pot w/loudness tap.

Does anyone have a good source for reasonably priced audio
potentiometers? They do not need to be premium brands, just good
reliable pots like CTS and Clarostat used to provide.

I'm looking into producing a new line of amplifiers, and the pots have
me stumped (need a source)

Best regards,

Ryan
Dan Nicotera

When you find a source please post also I need some for some Eico HF85
preamps.
I did email TKD and they never responede back. They make a 250k dual pot and
it works great.
Dan
"Hot Glass Audio" wrote in message
m...
Hi All,

I'm looking for a source that supplies audio potentiometers, namely a
dual-ganged 500K Ohm log taper pot w/loudness tap.

Does anyone have a good source for reasonably priced audio
potentiometers? They do not need to be premium brands, just good
reliable pots like CTS and Clarostat used to provide.

I'm looking into producing a new line of amplifiers, and the pots have
me stumped (need a source)

Best regards,

Ryan

kseely

Hot Glass Audio wrote:
Hi All,

I'm looking for a source that supplies audio potentiometers, namely a
dual-ganged 500K Ohm log taper pot w/loudness tap.

Does anyone have a good source for reasonably priced audio
potentiometers? They do not need to be premium brands, just good
reliable pots like CTS and Clarostat used to provide.

I'm looking into producing a new line of amplifiers, and the pots

have
me stumped (need a source)

Best regards,

Ryan

I googled "RV4 potentiometer" and got a website called
potentiometer.com and it looks like you can special order a lot of
different kinds, including reverse audio taper and dual gang with a
switch. I don't know if the switch is what you mean by "loudness tap".
They have a center tap and center detent available, but all these bells
and whistles are extras and you have to call them for a quote. There
aren't any prices listed. Here's the link to the RV4 page:
http://www.potentiometer.com/milpdf.pdf

Karl

Hot Glass Audio

"kseely" wrote in message

I googled "RV4 potentiometer" and got a website called
potentiometer.com and it looks like you can special order a lot of
different kinds, including reverse audio taper and dual gang with a
switch. I don't know if the switch is what you mean by "loudness tap".
They have a center tap and center detent available, but all these bells
and whistles are extras and you have to call them for a quote. There
aren't any prices listed. Here's the link to the RV4 page:
http://www.potentiometer.com/milpdf.pdf

Karl

Thanks for the link, Karl.

By "loudness tap", I was referring to the forth lead on the pot, which
is placed at approx 40% of the pots travel. The tap is used in
conjunction with a loudness circuit to boost treble and bass
frequencies at low volume levels to compensate for defficiencies in
the human hearing. It is what you would find on classic Scott and
Fisher designs.

Dual ganged pots with loudness taps are what I'm after. The model that
features the switch is also of use to me, I could use it as the main
power switch.

These were commonly made by CTS, but they are no longer in business,
and these types of log taper pots are hard to find. What I would like
to find is a source that sells plain-jane pots for reasonable prices.
I am not interested in ALPS or other "audiophile" grade pots, as I'm
trying to keep the cost of my product to a minimum, I want it to be
affordable.

Best regards,

Ryan
kseely

Sander deWaal wrote:

If you buy in larger quantities, an Alps can be had for about $10/pc.

Maybe this entire NG can go in together on some? If we can agree on
which ones, that is.

Sander deWaal

"kseely" said:

If you buy in larger quantities, an Alps can be had for about $10/pc.

Maybe this entire NG can go in together on some? If we can agree on
which ones, that is.

You could make a request here.
I have enough stashed away for my entire life :-)

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
Hot Glass Audio

Jim Strickland wrote in message

I'm assuming that a log taper pot is an audio taper pot, since decibels
are a log scale. Mouser has the pots you're looking for for $2.35
each. Page 434 of the current catalog. The price goes down fairly
sharply as you start buying in quantity, bottoming at $1.62 for 500+.
If you want more than a thousand, they say to contact them. I can't
vouch for the quality or lack therof for any brand of these things.
The part number for the ones I found (Alpha is the company that made
them) is 313-2420-500k

Mouser electronics' webpage is at http://www.mouser.com/, but their
site can be painful to find things on. They will, however, send you a
free catalog the size of a small municipal phonebook, and they haven't
groused that my orders from them amount to only a few dollars worth of
resistors, diodes, and caps, so I'd recommend them.

Hope this helps.

Jim,

Those are the exact pots I was looking for, thank you! Build quality
looks pretty good, and those are the lowest prices I have seen yet.
Hopefully they allow mixing of values for quantity pricing.

I'll call and order their catalog.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Ryan