Dr. Alan J. Lipman

Default What is a Hipass filter and...

What is a Hipass filter, where might I find one, and can it be used
(like an effects box) on a Korg 16 Track digital recorder (a stand
alone digital HD recorder as opposed to a PC based set up)

Thanks!
Walter Harley

"Dr. Alan J. Lipman" wrote in message
om...
What is a Hipass filter, where might I find one, and can it be used
(like an effects box) on a Korg 16 Track digital recorder (a stand
alone digital HD recorder as opposed to a PC based set up)

A high-pass filter is something that lets high-frequency signals through,
and attenuates the lower-frequency signals. The "treble" control on a
stereo is one sort of high-pass filter.

You can use a graphic equalizer, set with the lower bands turned down and
the higher bands turned up. Or you can use a "parametric equalizer", which
lets you pick a particular frequency point and decide how much you want the
frequencies above (or below, if you choose) to be boosted.

These days practically any effect is available both in hardware (a
standalone box that you plug cables into) and in software (for which you
would need to use a PC). On the Korg, if you use a hardware device, you can
probably play back the one channel, sending its output into the filter, and
then go from the filter's output back into another channel input on the Korg
and record onto a new track.

To figure out what words you sang, concentrate on boosting the frequencies
around 2kHz to 5kHz - that's where a lot of the articulation between
different consonants is. Frequencies much higher than that probably aren't
going to help you hear what's going on.

hank alrich

Dr. Alan J. Lipman wrote:

What is a Hipass filter, where might I find one, and can it be used
(like an effects box) on a Korg 16 Track digital recorder (a stand
alone digital HD recorder as opposed to a PC based set up)

Before one attempts to describe the medicine you seek to self-prescribe
here, perhaps you could tell us exactly what you wish to accomplish,
what problem you seek to solve.

I've been sneezing more lately and was thinking some elemental brain
sugery, something I could do myself, might help. A doctor friend advised
against it and suggested since I'd been chainsawing cedar for firewood,
perhaps just blowing my nose more often would alleviate my malady.

What do you need to do, Doc?

--
ha
hank alrich

Walter Harley wrote:

The "treble" control on a stereo is one sort of high-pass filter.

???

--
ha
Chris Hornbeck

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 04:20:40 GMT, (hank alrich)
wrote:

What do you need to do, Doc?

Suture self.
(Is this complements of Firesign Theater? Gotta be.)

Chris Hornbeck
"Shi mian mai fu"

John L Rice

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
Walter Harley wrote:

The "treble" control on a stereo is one sort of high-pass filter.

???

--
ha

When I read this is made since to me, because my first couple stereos were
very inexpensive models that only had a single 'tone' control, which I'm
pretty sure were just some sort of passive low pass ( counter clockwise from
center ) high pass ( clockwise from center ) filters.

John L Rice

Chris Hornbeck

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 21:31:03 -0800, "John L Rice"
wrote:

When I read this is made since to me, because my first couple stereos were
very inexpensive models that only had a single 'tone' control, which I'm
pretty sure were just some sort of passive low pass ( counter clockwise from
center ) high pass ( clockwise from center ) filters.

And of course Hank's right that this isn't what most folks here would
call a "high pass filter" and wouldn't be usable as one.

But your description of a "tone control" rings true to me because
I've been playing with the idea of such in a homebrew Geetar
amplifier. In the hi-fi-world-of-the-future (or maybe the past)
the hallowed all-caps firm of QUAD included a one-knob tone control
with that "tilt" control. Elegant for its intended use.

Any thoughts on the best use of a stray pot in a guitar amplifier
are certainly eagerly welcomed. Somewhere in the middle of a 12AX7
preamp stage, maybe?

Much thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
"Shi mian mai fu"
Arny Krueger

"Dr. Alan J. Lipman" wrote in message
om
What is a Hipass filter, where might I find one, and can it be used
(like an effects box) on a Korg 16 Track digital recorder (a stand
alone digital HD recorder as opposed to a PC based set up)

I high pass filter is exactly what the words say - its a filter that passes
high frequencies, and by implication does not pass low frequencies.

You can find a wide variety of high pass filters in various audio editing
software. Adobe Audition has a ton of different ones that work different
ways, do different things, and are highly adjustable. It's PC software, but
it probably makes the kinds of changes to the tonality of music that you
want.

DeserTBoB

wrote:

When I read this is made since to me, because my first couple stereos were
very inexpensive models that only had a single 'tone' control, which I'm
pretty sure were just some sort of passive low pass ( counter clockwise from
center ) high pass ( clockwise from center ) filters. snip

Not. Cheapie stereos, including most car crap, had "tone" controls
which were simply high cut filters. "Flat" response usually meant
(and still does) cranked full clockwise. The "knee" frequency of such
single element tone controls was usually a bit lower than more
sophisticated Baxandall controls (bass/treble cut/boost), so the user
could, if they wanted "bass boost," cut the control way down and then
just boost the gain.

dB

John O

What is a Hipass filter, where might I find one, and can it be used
(like an effects box) on a Korg 16 Track digital recorder (a stand
alone digital HD recorder as opposed to a PC based set up)

A high-pass filter is something that lets high-frequency signals through,
and attenuates the lower-frequency signals. The "treble" control on a
stereo is one sort of high-pass filter.

The BASS control is more accurately a high-pass filter. It can attenuate the
low frequencies and let the highs 'pass.'

The treble control could be called a low-pass filter for the opposite
reason.

But I'm just being picky. I should lurk more. :-)

-John O

Walter Harley

Walter Harley wrote:

The "treble" control on a stereo is one sort of high-pass filter.

???

Sorry, was thinking about Baxandall controls (where the treble is either
high boost or high cut depending on how it's set).

I was trying to give him a sense of "turn the knob up and the highs go up
compared to the lows." You're right, a cut-only bass control ("turn the
knob down and the bass goes down") is a more clear example. Unless it's in
the context of a system with otherwise inflated bass response, like most
systems these days, so that "all the way up" is actually boosting the bass.
Probably tone controls are a bad example in general.

In lieu of a well-defined unity gain point, anything with an overall rising
response can be called a highpass, and anything with an overall falling
response can be called lowpass.

DeserTBoB wrote:

What is a Hipass filter snip

I'm assuming (big assumption) you mean a HIGH PASS filter, not a "hip
ass" filter. By definition, a high pass filter is one which allows
frequencies higher than the "knee" frequency, the set point for
attentuation, to pass unaltered, while everything below that would be
attenuated at a rate of so many dB/octave.

Yep, ironically a high-pass filter is rarely the hip-ass filter. More
often a low-pass filter with a fair amount of resonance is hipper,
sometimes a band-pass filter as well. The high-pass is more
utilitarian, in my book.

Andrew Leavitt

DeserTBoB

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:15:51 GMT, "John O"
wrote:

The BASS control is more accurately a high-pass filter. It can attenuate the
low frequencies and let the highs 'pass.' snip

True through 49.999% of the operable range, but what happenes when you
get bass boost from a Baxandall arrangement?

The treble control could be called a low-pass filter for the opposite
reason. snip

Again, 49.999% of the time.

But I'm just being picky. I should lurk more. :-) snip

Good point that was 49.999% accurate.

dB