Drew M

Default Voice-over recording setup

We often need to record voice-overs for a range of projects from TV ads
to multimedia CD-ROMs. At the moment we use a local studio, but we do so
much of this it would make sense to bring simple jobs in-house.

So I'm looking for some recommendations for a suitable setup for
recording direct to PC/Mac (we have both).

I've been looking at the Rode NT2000, the Neumann TLM103 and the Blue
Baby Bottle. Does anyone have an opinion on these mics for this kind of
work?

On the pre-amp/processing side of things, I was considering the
Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro and then going direct from that to the digital
input on a soundcard. (Recommendations?)

Does this sound like a useful setup for simple voice-over recording?

Budget is a factor, but not the main one. I'm more concerned with
getting a useful setup, so any/all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

drew.
Scott Dorsey

Drew M wrote:
So I'm looking for some recommendations for a suitable setup for
recording direct to PC/Mac (we have both).

I've been looking at the Rode NT2000, the Neumann TLM103 and the Blue
Baby Bottle. Does anyone have an opinion on these mics for this kind of
work?

They are all good mikes, but if you are going to be working with a wide
variety of artists, I'd pick the RE-20 before any of them. The RE-20 is
often not the best mike on a given talent, but it's always usable. So if
you have a budget for one mike, it's the one I would grab.

On the pre-amp/processing side of things, I was considering the
Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro and then going direct from that to the digital
input on a soundcard. (Recommendations?)

How much processing do you need? And have you budgeted for editing software
and possibly processing software? And monitoring, of course.

Drew M

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Drew M wrote:

So I'm looking for some recommendations for a suitable setup for
recording direct to PC/Mac (we have both).

I've been looking at the Rode NT2000, the Neumann TLM103 and the Blue
Baby Bottle. Does anyone have an opinion on these mics for this kind of
work?

They are all good mikes, but if you are going to be working with a wide
variety of artists, I'd pick the RE-20 before any of them. The RE-20 is
often not the best mike on a given talent, but it's always usable. So if
you have a budget for one mike, it's the one I would grab.

The RE-20 from EV? I'll take a look, thanks.

On the pre-amp/processing side of things, I was considering the
Focusrite VoiceMaster Pro and then going direct from that to the digital
input on a soundcard. (Recommendations?)

How much processing do you need? And have you budgeted for editing software
and possibly processing software? And monitoring, of course.

We already have the latest version of Cubase (whatever version that is)
and also a processing program whose name escapes me at the moment (new
version out the other day - UI looks like a physical outboard rack).

So at the moment my concern is primarily at the input stage.

Thanks for your reply

drew.
Steve King

"Drew M" wrote in message
.. .
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Drew M wrote:

[...]

I'm with Scott. The RE-20 is as likely to sound good a variety of voices as
anything else you might choose, most much more expensive. Since you have
'processing' capabilities in software (EQ, compression, limiting, etc.), I'd
recommend an RNP preamp from FMR audio: http://www.fmraudio.com/rnp/

Your other consideration, unmentioned, is a room for the narrator(s) that is
realtively free from outside noise including your monitor speakers. (You
can use earphones if you have to be in the same room, which is not a deal
killer for recording voice; however, I wouldn't want to mix the final
program on headphones.) You will almost certainly have to treat the room to
get rid of sound reflections from walls, ceilings, and floors. Obviously,
you'll have to decide how much to spend on that based on how often you use
the room for recording purposes. Although it isn't the best solution, many
narrations have been done in offices using moving blankets hung on walls to
kill the natural reverb.

Steve King

Ricky W. Hunt

"Steve King" wrote in message

I'm with Scott. The RE-20 is as likely to sound good a variety of voices
as anything else you might choose, most much more expensive.

Me too. I've never gotten a bad recording with a RE20.

Drew M

Steve King wrote:
"Drew M" wrote in message
.. .

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Drew M wrote:

[...]

So on the principal that we can do any processing we like once the
source audio has been captured, going for a simple, high quality preamp
is a better bet. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Your other consideration, unmentioned, is a room for the narrator(s) that is
realtively free from outside noise including your monitor speakers. (You
can use earphones if you have to be in the same room, which is not a deal
killer for recording voice; however, I wouldn't want to mix the final
program on headphones.) You will almost certainly have to treat the room to
get rid of sound reflections from walls, ceilings, and floors. Obviously,
you'll have to decide how much to spend on that based on how often you use
the room for recording purposes. Although it isn't the best solution, many
narrations have been done in offices using moving blankets hung on walls to
kill the natural reverb.

Yes, that's an important point. We were considering a couple of options.
One of which being one of those self-contained vocal booths, the other
option being constructing something a little more make-shift, but
treating it with proper acoustic tiles. I think in both cases we're
looking at boxing out a section of an existing video edit suite.

Thanks for your reply

drew.
Drew M

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:
"Steve King" wrote in message

I'm with Scott. The RE-20 is as likely to sound good a variety of voices
as anything else you might choose, most much more expensive.

Me too. I've never gotten a bad recording with a RE20.

Sounds like I should give it some serious attention then.
Thanks!

drew.
Particle Salad

In the same league as the RE-20 is the Shure SM-7... same type of mic. VERY
forgiving of the room, sounds good on just about everybody.