Posted to rec.audio.car
WebLord

Default Sub Box Questions

I just recently purchased a pair of JL Audio 13.5 inch Subs, but they
were installed in a box without a divider to seperate the two speakers
airspace? Does this even matter?

Should these also be completley sealed air tight?

Thank you!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

It doesn't matter unless one gets blown, as at that point the paramaters
of the box change for the remaining good speaker, and will be more
likely to cause damage to it.

Brandonb

WebLord wrote:
I just recently purchased a pair of JL Audio 13.5 inch Subs, but they
were installed in a box without a divider to seperate the two speakers
airspace? Does this even matter?

Should these also be completley sealed air tight?

Thank you!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

A divider is not needed for subs. If your box is a sealed type then yes it
should be air tight, if it's a ported type it should have an opening/s.

In article .com, "WebLord"
wrote:
I just recently purchased a pair of JL Audio 13.5 inch Subs, but they
were installed in a box without a divider to seperate the two speakers
airspace? Does this even matter?

Should these also be completley sealed air tight?

Thank you!

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

It doesn't matter unless one gets blown, as at that point the paramaters
of the box change for the remaining good speaker, and will be more likely
to cause damage to it.

Brandonb

Heed Brandonb's warning. This can, and does happen in the real world,
especially with high-power subs and amplifiers. In a sealed enclosure, the
airspace behind a sub acts as a spring and helps control the motion of the
cone. If one of the subs suddenly stops working, the air-space for the
working subwoofer will suddenly be doubled and thereby creating a much
looser spring. This will cause greater motion of the cone and a decrease in
control that might lead to damage at high volume levels. For this reason
ALONE, I always go with multi-chamber enclosures when building sealed boxes.

MOSFET