Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.sci.physics.acoustics
bobopi bobopi is offline

Default frequency response of headphones

Hi,

in the context of physiological recordings with small animals (guinea
pig) in a small anechoic chamber, I would like to use headphones as
speakers between, say, 100 Hz and 35 kHz. I'm interested in the
flattest response possible. I've selected a bunch of headphones, but
the shape of their frequency response is never given on their
constructors websites. Has someone performed tests ? I wonder, do they
have a flat response (more or less) or has their response been adapted
to the human ear ? Do you have some advice on some of these models ?
Here are the selected models:

*Beyer*

dt 770 pro
closed
5-35000Hz
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/en/broadc...eo-production/
products/headphonesheadsets/headphones.html?
tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid]
[showUID]=44&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid]
[backPID]=93&cHash=cd6f9075a1

dt 880 pro
semi-open
5-35000
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/en/broadc...eo-production/
products/headphonesheadsets/headphones.html?
tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid]
[showUID]=1851&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid]
[backPID]=93&cHash=cef9b324c4

dt 990 pro
open
5-35000 Hz
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/en/broadc...ctdatabase_pi1[showUid][showUID]=45&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=93&cHash=cb51219012

*Fostex*

T50RP
semi-open
15-35000Hz
http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/music_products/
rp_series_spec.shtml

*AKG*

K 702
open
10-39800Hz
http://www.akg.com/site/products/pow...id,1082,nodeid,
2,_language,EN.html
available in august

*Sony*

MDR 7509HD
closed
5-80000Hz
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-MDR7509HD/

*Sennheiser*

HD 595/600/650
open
10-39000 Hz
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/09969

*Ultrasone*

Pro 750/2500
closed/open
8-35000Hz
http://www.ultrasone.com/index_en.php?
level=1&CatID=13.37&inhalt_id=45&shop_level=2&shop _CatID=1&shop_inhalt_id=0&do=showDetails&artikel_t yp=allgemein&artikel_id=17

I like this last one because it is magnetic shielded, which is
especially interesting when we perform intracerebral recordings which
are perturbated by magnetic fields but their S-logic system is not
that nice for my use I guess.

Thanks
Boris
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken[_8_] Ken[_8_] is offline

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 04:19:08 -0700 (PDT), bobopi wrote:

Hi,

in the context of physiological recordings with small animals (guinea
pig) in a small anechoic chamber, I would like to use headphones as
speakers between, say, 100 Hz and 35 kHz. I'm interested in the
flattest response possible. I've selected a bunch of headphones, but
the shape of their frequency response is never given on their
constructors websites. Has someone performed tests ? I wonder, do they
have a flat response (more or less) or has their response been adapted
to the human ear ? Do you have some advice on some of these models ?

http://www.headphone.com/technical/p...ld-a-graph.php

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angelo Campanella Angelo Campanella is offline

bobopi wrote:

Hi,

in the context of physiological recordings with small animals (guinea
pig) in a small anechoic chamber, I would like to use headphones as
speakers between, say, 100 Hz and 35 kHz. I'm interested in the
flattest response possible. I've selected a bunch of headphones, but
the shape of their frequency response is never given on their
constructors websites. Has someone performed tests ? I wonder, do they
have a flat response (more or less) or has their response been adapted
to the human ear ? Do you have some advice on some of these models ?
Here are the selected models:

Have you investigated small piezoelctric wafers? These are a slab of
for instance barium titanate or any of the the piezoectric families. The
output level is likely small at low frequencies.

Another posssibility is a condenser microphone driven as a transducer.
This will indeed be flat up to the resonance frequecy of the cavity
behind the diaphragm, about 20 to 30 kHz. A 1/4" microphone will be flat
up to your 40 kHz or higher, but the sound output SPL will be less.

What SPL levels do you need to conduct your work?

"Earphones" imply that you can allow the transducer to be near the ear..

Angelo Campanella

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

bobopi wrote:
in the context of physiological recordings with small animals (guinea
pig) in a small anechoic chamber, I would like to use headphones as
speakers between, say, 100 Hz and 35 kHz. I'm interested in the
flattest response possible. I've selected a bunch of headphones, but
the shape of their frequency response is never given on their
constructors websites. Has someone performed tests ? I wonder, do they
have a flat response (more or less) or has their response been adapted
to the human ear ? Do you have some advice on some of these models ?
Here are the selected models:

The problem is that closed-back headphones use the ear canal as part of
a resonant system, and so the low end response varies depending on the
size and shape of your inner ear.

Note also that if you get above 20 KHz, the beaminess becomes a problem
even with headphones. Very small changes in position result in large
changes in response.

Consequently, your local audiologist can't test above 8 KHz. If you
want a full-range test, they put a pressure transducer in your ear
canal to act as a reference.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 07:19:08 -0400, bobopi wrote
(in article
):

Hi,

in the context of physiological recordings with small animals (guinea pig) in

a small anechoic chamber,

Please elaborate as to why you are doing this.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
bobopi bobopi is offline

On 4 juil, 16:19, Ty Ford wrote:
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 07:19:08 -0400, bobopi wrote
(in article
):

Hi,

in the context of physiological recordings with small animals (guinea pig) in
a small anechoic chamber,

Please elaborate as to why you are doing this.

why or how ?
the idea is to be able to send various sound stimuli to a small animal
which is able to hear between, say 100-150 Hz and 35-40kHz. We use
intracerebral electrodes in order to investigate the properties of its
auditory cortex.

Our anechoic chamber is small, less than 1 cube meter. In a previous
post, I asked advice for a speaker with that frequency range. Then,
thanks to the replies, I realized than maybe headphones are better
suited insofar as the speaker has to be put very close to the ear, not
more than 5 centimeters.

Directivity might be a problem but we would try to put the speaker as
close as possible to the animal's ear (the animal is constrained).
Apparently, some professional headphones have the required frequency
range. I would use only one speaker of course and we would try to
shield the speaker given that magnetic fields may increase the noise
on our electrophysiological recordings.

We need a flat response of the speaker. Headphones might have kind of
"colored" sound output and be adapted to the human's ear. That is a
concern. Ultrasone headphones, for instance, are shielded, which
would help a lot, but has not a really flat response (at least the
Ultrasone HD 650) according to http://www.headphone.com/technical/
product-measurements/build-a-graph.php?
graphID[0]=255&graphID[1]=585&graphID[2]=417&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare
+Headphones

regards,

Boris

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jens Rodrigo Jens Rodrigo is offline

bobopi wrote:
in the context of physiological recordings with small animals (guinea
pig) in a small anechoic chamber, I would like to use headphones as
speakers between, say, 100 Hz and 35 kHz. I'm interested in the
flattest response possible. I've selected a bunch of headphones, but
the shape of their frequency response is never given on their
constructors websites. Has someone performed tests ? I wonder, do they
have a flat response (more or less) or has their response been adapted
to the human ear?

No headphone will show a linear frequency response, because their
response has been adapted to loudspeaker listening by average
human ears.

Cheers Jens

Posted to rec.audio.pro
answerman answerman is offline

bobopi wrote in
:

Hi,

in the context of physiological recordings with small animals (guinea
pig) in a small anechoic chamber, I would like to use headphones as
speakers between, say, 100 Hz and 35 kHz. I'm interested in the
flattest response possible. I've selected a bunch of headphones, but
the shape of their frequency response is never given on their
constructors websites. Has someone performed tests ? I wonder, do they
have a flat response (more or less) or has their response been adapted
to the human ear ? Do you have some advice on some of these models ?
Here are the selected models:

snip....snip

Auditory researchers have been performing experiments on guniea pigs and
other small mammals for decades. You should be looking into the auditory
research literature to determine out what sound delivery systems
researchers have used in the past, what systems researchers are presently
using and how successful they have been in achieving the sort of
frequency response that you desire. At the very least, such a literature
review will give you a proper perspective on what is actually achievable
and on how realistic your requirements are.

There is only one system that has ever been developed that comes close to
achieving the frequency response specifications that you require, but it
is not something that you can buy off the shelf.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/425...%2F4251686+OR+
4251686&stemming=on

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...HITOFF&p=1&u=%
2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=14&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=
4251686&OS=4251686&RS=4251686
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Boris Gourevitch Boris Gourevitch is offline

answerman wrote:

snip....snip

Auditory researchers have been performing experiments on guniea pigs and
other small mammals for decades. You should be looking into the auditory
research literature to determine out what sound delivery systems
researchers have used in the past, what systems researchers are presently
using and how successful they have been in achieving the sort of
frequency response that you desire. At the very least, such a literature
review will give you a proper perspective on what is actually achievable
and on how realistic your requirements are.

as I posted before on another thread, I've already looked at that (Syka
et al., Wallace et al., Weinberger et al. etc...). Basically, to my
knowledge, there are mostly three cases:
- use of two way speakers, sometimes very far from the animal. Want to
avoid that given the room size. Moreover, flat frequency response is
almost unavoidable in this case.
- use of a microphone as a speaker (bruel and kjear 4134 in general).
Don't understand how it can work given the small size of the product.
Should likely be put into the ear but ear canal is somewhat small.
- use of headphones took into parts and shielded. We used to use that in
our lab but with a beyer dt 48 which is not very good in high
freauencies. I start to think that this is the best solution though,
using a headphone with a wider frequency range. However, I'm not sure
that we can put the headphone close enough to the animal's ear. The
farther the speaker, the less flat the frequency response.
Boris

Posted to rec.audio.pro
answerman answerman is offline

Boris Gourevitch wrote in
:

answerman wrote:

[...]

None of the solutaions that you are considering are viable. Read the
patent reference I gave you, again. In the system described in that
patent, sound is produced by a push-pull electrostatic trasducer and is
coupled to the ear via a tube of appropriate diameter which can be at
least four inches long before you run into some impedance matching
problems.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
answerman[_2_] answerman[_2_] is offline

Angelo Campanella wrote in
:

bobopi wrote:

[...]

There is no significant difference between using a piezo element
(bimorph) and a back-driven condenser microphone in this application.
Depending on the required SPL,a piezo bimorph might be a bit more linear
than a back-driven condenser microphone. On the other hand, for a given
diameter,the resonant frequency and upper frequency limit of a back-
driven condenser microphone is going to be much higher than that of a
piezo bimorph of the same diameter. In fact, the likelihood of using even
a 1/4" diameter piezo element (which will have very limited volume
displacement) to construct a sound delivery system that can provide a
flat response at the eardrum to 40KHz is zip to none. Additionally,
because both transducers are volume displacement sources, a closed,
sealed sound delivery system is required in order to achieve a flat
response down to 100Hz.