Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Default Gen. William Odom, RIP

Gen. William Odom, RIP

"Evan Thomas of Newsweek writes about General William Odom, who recently

died at age 75:

Washington has its share of retired generals who go on TV and blather
the administration line fed them, we have recently learned, at private
Pentagon briefings. And then there was Bill Odom.

A retired three-star general who was once a senior officer on
President Carter's national-security staff and later chief of the
supersecret National Security Agency during the Reagan administration,
Odom was one of the first Washington insiders to publicly predict disaster
in Iraq. In February 2003, on the eve of the invasion of Iraq, when most of
the Washington military establishment and much of the mainstream media
(including me) were in a hawkish mode, Odom had this to say in The
Washington Post: "The issue is not whether the Iraqi people will greet
U.S. soldiers as their liberators, but what will they do six months after
that. I find it naive and disingenuous to claim that you can create
democracy in Iraq any time soon. The administration has already assured us
that the U.S. will not stay there for very long, and, if that is the case,
then the goal of establishing a constitutional system in Iraq is a joke."

I had dinner with General Odom a couple of times. After one meal, Margaret
Thatcher gave a speech. During the question and answer period that
followed, General Odom stood up from our table and grilled her on her
skepticism about German reunification in 1989, a decade before. (Odom was
very pro-German.) Afterwards, the Baroness came over to our table and
resumed the argument with Gen. Odom. They went at it hard for ten minutes,
like a baseball umpire and manager arguing over a play at the plate. I sat
there wide-eyed. Finally, Odom said something like, "My ancestors hid
behind trees and shot your ancestors wearing those stupid redcoats during
the Revolutionary War!" Mrs. Thatcher laughed, and they went off to the
bar together and shot the breeze amiably for two hours.

Most people who are successful in Washington don't have that kind of
character.

Also, a few recollections of a presentation I heard him give at this 1999
Hudson Institute event:

- He forcefully quantified America's overwhelming post-Cold War military
dominance against any conceivable alliance of challengers, which is
something I hadn't realized before. (Sure, I was pretty dumb back then,
but how many people don't realize that today?)

- Odom's worldview was that there were only two places in the world that
really mattered in terms of the industrial might to support a Really Big
War -- Northwest Europe and Northeast Asia. And, sure, the Persian Gulf
was kind of important, but the countries that could really cause trouble
were just about the same ones as in 1914-1953: Germany, France, and
Britain and Japan, South Korea, and China.

- Most radically, Odom believed that America's garrison troops in Britain
and Germany, and in Japan and South Korea prevented major wars from
breaking out. His logic was that with America garrisoning two of the three
Great Powers in each of the two Major Regions, any theoretical war among
the three powers in each region would logically have to involve at least
one country with an American garrison, and, hence, was inconceivable. But
if America pulled out of Germany and Britain, say, then war between one of
them and France or between each other would eventually ensue. (And the same
for Japan, South Korea, and/or China.) This sounds nuts, but it's
impossible to disprove. (By the way, as of late 2007, we still had 44,000
troops in Europe, 17 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. I
haven't been able to find more recent numbers -- the number of American
troops in Europe is not a topic that comes up much in the news. Nobody
seems very interested in the subject.)"

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2008/06/g...-odom-rip.html

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jun 6, 6:13*pm, "BretLudwig" wrote:

- He forcefully quantified America's overwhelming post-Cold War military
dominance against any conceivable alliance of challengers, which is
something I hadn't realized before. (Sure, I was pretty dumb back then,
but how many people don't realize that today?)

I don't know. Ask 2pid. He's the one that 'thinks' we need the F-22.
LOL!