Posted to rec.audio.tubes
radioman390 radioman390 is offline

Default Ravenswood amplifiers sought

After high school (1969), I worked for Chesapeake Instrument's consumer
product manufacturing facility in Annapolis, MD. We made audio products
for the Liberty Music Shop chain (NY), and the E.H. Scott audio
company, apparently the successor to the E.H. Scott Radio Company which
was was on Ravenswood Avenue in Chicago. They made great radios, some
with over 30 tubes. H.H. Scott sued them for trademark infringement
and they changed their name to Ravenswood.

I started working on the production line, and at some point was head of
QC because I was an audiophile, having worked in an audio shop while in
school. So I knew how to use test instruments. Ravenswood's FM tuner
and stereo decoder were designed under contract with Dave Hafler
(Dynaco) and were pretty good. I'd align a hundred units a day
sometimes. Products were made in batches, amps one day, tuners, the
next. We even had a reflecting speaker system that reflected sound off
the wall (predating Bose by twentyyears). As far as I know, only two
ads appeared in High Fidelity magazine for our product line, then
nothing.
I should have known, as our checks would bounce occasionally.

We had two basic amps, and I'd like to add or both to my system. Got
one hidden away?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"radioman390" wrote in message
ups.com...

** Groper Alzheimer's Alert

[...]

** Got news for you - Mr Nostalgia.

The Bose 901 audio horror was released om an unsuspecting planet in 1968.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...standing_index

Shuddddddeeeeerrrrrrrr.................

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Phil Allison wrote:
[...]

You're right of course. So it would be 10 years, not 20, that
Ravenswood anticipated Bose's design. That does make it more likely
that Bose got the idea from the Liberty Music Shop, eh?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"radioman390"

** Groper Alzheimer's Alert

** Got news for you - Mr Nostalgia.

The Bose 901 audio horror was released om an unsuspecting planet in 1968.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...standing_index

Shuddddddeeeeerrrrrrrr.................

You're right of course. So it would be 10 years, not 20, that
Ravenswood anticipated Bose's design.

** We've only got your word for that.

The 901 was out before you commenced at Ravenswood.

That does make it more likely
that Bose got the idea from the Liberty Music Shop, eh?

** No.

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Phil Allison wrote:
"radioman390"

** Groper Alzheimer's Alert

** Got news for you - Mr Nostalgia.

The Bose 901 audio horror was released om an unsuspecting planet in 1968.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...standing_index

Shuddddddeeeeerrrrrrrr.................

You're right of course. So it would be 10 years, not 20, that
Ravenswood anticipated Bose's design.

** We've only got your word for that.

The 901 was out before you commenced at Ravenswood.

That does make it more likely
that Bose got the idea from the Liberty Music Shop, eh?

** No.

......... Phil

The entire line of Ravenswood "Reflection Coupled" speakers system was
advertised in AUDIO magazine November 1961 issue. I quote:
"Exclusive with Ravenswood, "Reflection Coupler" speaker systems have
brought a radically new, exciting, method of music reproduction to the
music lover. All of the speaker systems are "reflection Coupler"
systems."

Listed are the M-50, M-500, M-5000, M2-22, M2-32.

The amps I'm looking for are the Ravenswood PA-2000 and PA-3000,

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
radioman390 radioman390 is offline

Default Ravenswood amplifiers sought DATE CORRECTION

Oops, I see the dating problem I graduated from high school in 1959
not 1969,
Sorry I didn't catch that sooner. I worked at
Ravenswood/EHScott/Chesapeake Instruments that summer and for another
year after that before college.

You guys are right on for calling me on that, but now look at the
timeline again.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
thomas thomas is offline

radioman390 wrote:
Oops, I see the dating problem I graduated from high school in 1959
not 1969,
Sorry I didn't catch that sooner. I worked at
Ravenswood/EHScott/Chesapeake Instruments that summer and for another
year after that before college.

You guys are right on for calling me on that, but now look at the
timeline again.

An understandable misunderstanding. Kudos to Phil for expressing his
concern in such a gentlemanly fashion. He has been a model of civility
for other Usenet posters.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] BobFlSt@noreadspam.com is offline

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:39:05 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

** Got news for you - Mr Nostalgia.

The Bose 901 audio horror was released om an unsuspecting planet in 1968.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...standing_index

Shuddddddeeeeerrrrrrrr.................

........ Phil

Imagine paying $1400 for that ****ing toy garbage!!

HOLY ****!!!

Do you KNOW what speakers you COULD get for that kind of bread????

Man there's one born every minute I guess...

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"radioman390"

That does make it more likely
that Bose got the idea from the Liberty Music Shop, eh?

** No.

The entire line of Ravenswood "Reflection Coupled" speakers system was
advertised in AUDIO magazine November 1961 issue. I quote:
"Exclusive with Ravenswood, "Reflection Coupler" speaker systems have
brought a radically new, exciting, method of music reproduction to the
music lover. All of the speaker systems are "reflection Coupler"
systems."

** The Bose 901 is described as a " direct -reflecting " speaker using 9
woofers in a minimum volume enclosure and a employing a custom electronic
equaliser in the amplifier chain.

The design arose out of an earlier attempt to make an omni-directional
speaker with the multiple divers mounted on the surface of a sphere. An
omni-directial speker inherently bounces sound of any nearby walls.

There were many other omni-directional speakers, like Sonab that had their
day in the sun too.

......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:05:08 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

The design arose out of an earlier attempt to make an omni-directional
speaker with the multiple divers mounted on the surface of a sphere. An
omni-directional speaker inherently bounces sound off any nearby walls.

There were many other omni-directional speakers, like Sonab that had their
day in the sun too.

This was certainly an idea in the Zeitgeist. It was an era
of experimentation and extravagent thought; many solutions
were still likely contenders. Blumlein, much earlier, had
proposed a better model, but it included a closed-system
mirror-image in recording and playback.

Strangely enough, Blumlein's original recording system has
a new importance in the modern video-and-mp3 world, due to
its mono-compatability. It's sometimes the best format for
recording to two channels in a really good room, and for
playback in many modern formats.

And, perhaps even stranger, the 1960's ideal of omni-directional
speakers is just a historical footnote. Go figure.

Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

I remember as a teenager (late 70's), a buddy of mine brought me over
to his house, where his dad had a SS Fischer setup with new Bose 901's.

At the time, my audio experience consisted of 60's albums and tapes
(pop, contemporary, etc music), and two systems. The first one an old
tube tape deck with built in amp and speakers which was comandeered for
my bedroom, the second one was my dads ultra-jap Sansui quad channel
system with four multi-driver speakers (wooden grills). I had not had
a chance to develop any biases or preferences regarding audio in any
possible way.

He played the Bose system, all the while gushing about the
near-godliness of these speakers. I remember standing there,
listening, and thinking "what's the big deal? My dad's sytem sounds
better than this". The imaging was non-existant, and the sound
bouncing thing was noticable and distracting. It seemed an excercise
in sound mediocrity to me at the time. Nothing stood out, except that
they coud get really loud.

Now I do think the Bose stuff offers some improvement over other
mass-produced audio garbage to the public, of only they would cut their
prices by at least a third.

My humble opinion.

Bob H.

wrote:

** Got news for you - Mr Nostalgia.

The Bose 901 audio horror was released om an unsuspecting planet in 1968.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...standing_index

Shuddddddeeeeerrrrrrrr.................

........ Phil

Imagine paying $1400 for that ****ing toy garbage!!

HOLY ****!!!

Do you KNOW what speakers you COULD get for that kind of bread????

Man there's one born every minute I guess...

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 12 Nov 2006 09:15:38 -0800, "Bob H." wrote:

I remember as a teenager (late 70's), a buddy of mine brought me over
to his house, where his dad had a SS Fischer setup with new Bose 901's.

At the time, my audio experience consisted of 60's albums and tapes
(pop, contemporary, etc music), and two systems. The first one an old
tube tape deck with built in amp and speakers which was comandeered for
my bedroom,

Was that a Roberts machine? That's what I had as a young man. model 720 I think,
with mag phono inputs as well... little 5" speakers...

the second one was my dads ultra-jap Sansui quad channel
system with four multi-driver speakers (wooden grills).

I bought this house from a dude with all Sansui equipment - that's all he bought
at the time. And all he listened to was Elvis...

I had not had
a chance to develop any biases or preferences regarding audio in any
possible way.

He played the Bose system, all the while gushing about the
near-godliness of these speakers. I remember standing there,
listening, and thinking "what's the big deal? My dad's sytem sounds
better than this". The imaging was non-existant, and the sound
bouncing thing was noticable and distracting. It seemed an excercise
in sound mediocrity to me at the time. Nothing stood out, except that
they coud get really loud.

Now I do think the Bose stuff offers some improvement over other
mass-produced audio garbage to the public, of only they would cut their
prices by at least a third.

My humble opinion.

Bob H.

In the late 70s I remember the best sounding system I heard was one with AR9
tower speakers... that's all I knew about it. I had some Altek custom bass bins
with horns, they were louder then loud... in a house... Lots of people had
custom built speakers then, some people had Quad equipment... one guy had Klips
Lescala's or something - they were LOUD outdoors... My favorite speakers to
listen to were some Kefs I built myself... they didn't have a lot of bass but
were very pleasing to the ear... my ex swiped them or I would still have them
now. They reminded me of Tanoy Reveals...

My neighbor lent me some 901's to try out back in the 80s, I think he was trying
to sell them... I wasn't impressed... sounded pretty ****ty to me... something
to stick in your love van!

Isn't it amazing how many people think "out of phase" means surrounded by good
sound?!?!

If you want the sound of the 901's, just run your sound through a phlanger set
to "comb - clock off".

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PhattyMo PhattyMo is offline

thomas wrote:
radioman390 wrote:
Oops, I see the dating problem I graduated from high school in 1959
not 1969,
Sorry I didn't catch that sooner. I worked at
Ravenswood/EHScott/Chesapeake Instruments that summer and for another
year after that before college.

You guys are right on for calling me on that, but now look at the
timeline again.

An understandable misunderstanding. Kudos to Phil for expressing his
concern in such a gentlemanly fashion. He has been a model of civility
for other Usenet posters.

Indeed -for once.
Kinda nice to see a Phil that's making sense,and that you can actually
kinda communicate with.
Plus,I gleaned a tidbit of info about the Bose 901's from him. ;-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PhattyMo PhattyMo is offline

He played the Bose system, all the while gushing about the
near-godliness of these speakers. I remember standing there,
listening, and thinking "what's the big deal? My dad's sytem sounds
better than this". The imaging was non-existant, and the sound
bouncing thing was noticable and distracting. It seemed an excercise
in sound mediocrity to me at the time. Nothing stood out, except that
they coud get really loud.

Pretty much my exact thoughts on anything Bose I've come across..
Sounds okay,not great by any means, a few noticeable
annoying/distracting flaws.
...and WWAAYYY overpriced!
Guess they gotta pay for those fancy marketing slogans somehow.

Now I do think the Bose stuff offers some improvement over other
mass-produced audio garbage to the public, of only they would cut their
prices by at least a third.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ned Carlson Ned Carlson is offline

radioman390 wrote:
E.H. Scott audio
company, apparently the successor to the E.H. Scott Radio Company which
was was on Ravenswood Avenue in Chicago.

The building is still there and I think there's still a stone in
the top of the building with the logo for Scott's "World Record"
radio (Scott was the first person in New Zealand to ever receieve an
US radio broadcast). Nowadays the building's gone condo.

They made great radios, some
with over 30 tubes. H.H. Scott sued them for trademark infringement
and they changed their name to Ravenswood.

Which is a bit odd as EH was around before HH was.

--
Ned Carlson
SW side of Chicago, USA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
radioman390 radioman390 is offline

Which is a bit odd as EH was around before HH was.

--
Ned Carlson

We thought so too, but two factors entered the pictu EH had been
inactive several decades and the trademark law requires continuing use
in interstate commerce, and also, that HH had made a name in a specific
category (hi fi audio), while EH built receivers.
If I remember correctly, we could have continued using the EH Scott
name, but only for shortwave receivers.

If you go to the Department of Commerce website, you are guararnteed
trademark protection only in a defined field of commerce, and must
have used the trademark in interstae commerce for a period of time
before seeking trademark registration.

That;s why you can have Ford Modeling agency, Ford Motors, and Ford
Electronics.