Willie K.Yee, M.D.

Default 2nd request re receiver rehab

Original post appears to have been lost so:

My dbx CD player is still going strong after 15 years with no
maintenance.

HOWEVER, my Proton D940 receiver, just as old, may be on its last
legs. I will be taking it to a shop for repairs, but I am wondering if
it is worth it. It has multiple problems: blows power fuses every hour
now, intermittent cutoff in the Rr CD channel (seems like a dirty
switch, but that is inaccessible), the the LED's on the radio station
readout sometimes do not work.

If it could be done, I would like to have this machine restored,
including re-capping it if that is indicated and if this repair
service can do it (I have the schematics).

Why bother? All the stuff I see in the stores (all our hi-fi specialty
stores have gone belly up in the last decades) looks like junk. Cheap
lightweight construction visible on outside examination. As I go up
the price range I get a ****-load of features that I really don't
want, like 5.1, when I would rather have all the amp power available
for stereo. The Proton has the I/Os, power, and features I need and
has served me as my needs have grown.

Is it time to give up the ghost, or is there stuff available that I am
simply not seeing?

I realize this question might better be answered on an audiophile
group, but I suspect I know their answer: buy something new. And I
respect the opinions of those here who are not busy responding to
political trolls.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org