Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
[email protected] SFTVratings_troy@yahoo.com is offline

Default HOW OLD are you?

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Ken Ken is offline

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:42:46 -0700, wrote:

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?
I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

I'm 53. Engineer.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

) writes:
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

ANd this is a nonsense post.

You've cross-posted it to
rec.audio.tech
rec.audio.car
rec.radio.shortwave
ba.broadcast

Realistically they have nothing in common. Even the last two
are a stretch.

The question has no relevance in the first place, because
there's no context to the point of the question, and once
you cross-post there is nothing at all in common.

You might as well have asked "What did you have for breakfast"
because it would have been just as off-topic to all four
newsgroups, and be just been as nonsensical to the groups
as your actual question.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Sanjaya Sanjaya is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

55. Teacher

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
John Slade John Slade is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

To a head of lettuce I am very old. However compared to a mountain, I
have not yet begun in years.

You're as young as you feel and as old as you act. Age is nothing but a
number...

John

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
The Shadow The Shadow is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

76 years old, retired Hewlett-Packard Technical Writer, AA Degree
Electronics, Amateur Extra since 1977, US Navy Korean War - Aviation
Electronics Tech AT1

SWL frequently

The Old Shadow do

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Mariachi Mariachi is offline

On Sep 30, 3:40 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

76 years old, retired Hewlett-Packard Technical Writer, AA Degree
Electronics, Amateur Extra since 1977, US Navy Korean War - Aviation
Electronics Tech AT1

SWL frequently

The Old Shadow do

I'm 20. Candidate for a Bachelors degree in Electro-Optics in applied
Physics with a minor in Computer Science..

I created most of the infrared focal plane array test program for anti-
missile defense and worked on other various electro-optic projects
throughout my work experience, and before that I was a physics tutor
for numerous college students. I've been playing piano for more than
14 years and still continue to play. I wrote a research paper on
LED's in an RC circuit.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
msg msg is offline

Michael Black wrote:

snip

You might as well have asked "What did you have for breakfast"
because it would have been just as off-topic to all four
newsgroups, and be just been as nonsensical to the groups
as your actual question.

Well discussing breakfast would IMHO be far more on-topic
than the vast majority of posts to rec.radio.shortwave.

I would support a campaign to improve the S/N ratio
on r.r.s.

Regards,

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Don Pearce"
wrote:

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm 57, and I'd like to say I'm an engineer, but the word is debased
currency these days. People like me, who have done the studying, can
design systems and circuits, write international standards, climb a
transmitter tower in a gale, get you a telecomms license and shmooze
middle eastern potentates etc etc are engineers.

Designing circuits and writing standards will get you "engineer." The
other
things you mention are too nebulous to qualify for a title, but they're
good
things to be good at.

Yes. I believe the word you're looking for is "technician" - somebody
who knows how to fix various things and assemble them, but doesn't
know how to design, because they typically have only 2 years of
college or trade school.

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

Is "he" refering to me? Well sorry to disappoint you, but a lot of
that stuff is passe', and no longer taught in college. I studied
digital circuit design and digital signal processing at Penn State.
No analog stuff other than the basics (op-amps).

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

On Sep 30, 3:03 pm, "Karl Uppiano" wrote:
wrote in message
Soundhaspriority wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

Is "he" refering to me? Well sorry to disappoint you, but a lot of
that stuff is passe', and no longer taught in college. I studied
digital circuit design and digital signal processing at Penn State.
No analog stuff other than the basics (op-amps).

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".

I didn't say it was. I said ANALOG theory was. Digital of course
still has relevance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Brian[_8_] Brian[_8_] is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

Accounting Student/Forklift Driver

-Brian

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:35:59 GMT, (Don Pearce)
wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand three-phase
power generation and transmission as well. Learning all that was
necessary before we could learn electronics in every major engineering
school.

Is "he" refering to me? Well sorry to disappoint you, but a lot of
that stuff is passe', and no longer taught in college. I studied
digital circuit design and digital signal processing at Penn State.
No analog stuff other than the basics (op-amps).

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".

And as I stated above, neither is power generation and distribution.
Where does he think the power comes from? The wall? And how does it
get there? God puts it there? And how does it get from the wall into
the digital gizmos?

I didn't say it was. I said ANALOG theory was. Digital of course
still has relevance.

But every digital device is full of analogue devices. Not only that,
but they run so quickly that you need to be highly competent in
distributed circuit theory and microwave design techniques.

Digital is only of use if you do your engineering at the LEGO level.

Perhaps after he has 40-50 years of experience -- if he lasts that
long -- he will realize that basics are still basic.
--
Philip M. Kane P E / Esq.
VP - Regulatory Counsel & Engineering Manager

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Eric F. Richards Eric F. Richards is offline

"Karl Uppiano" wrote:

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".

Don't confuse Eduardo, er, "SFTV," he has all the answers.

Oh, "SFTV," 44, computer science and mathematics, and an engineer.
And I use the term with pride and defend against those who misuse it.

Those would include YOU. You are the most childlike 35 year old I've
run across. I know 21 year olds with more maturity.

Posted to rec.audio.tech rec.audio.car rec.radio.shortwave ba.broadcast
Peter Peter is offline

On 2007-09-30 11:42:46 -0700, said:

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

EE, mainframe computer hardware and software development engineer
(retired). Over 60.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 30, 11:42 am, wrote:
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

SFTV - Neither of Which Matter.

Do You Listen to Over-the-Air AM/MW and Shortwave Radio
is the "Only" Qualification To Be Here and Post Here [.]

AGE - I am Old Enough To Listen To The Radio An Enjoy It.

OCCUPATION / ADVOCATION - Radio Listener.

~ RHF

I Ask Myself : What IBOC ?
All I See Is The Blinking Blue Light ! ~ RHF
In That Distant Land* Where IBOC Fears To Go :
Life Exists and Radio Listeners Live Beyond the 10mv/m Contour.
* Twain Harte, CA -USA-
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 30, 11:55 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:42:46 -0700, wrote:
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

I'm 57, and I'd like to say I'm an engineer, but the word is debased
currency these days. People like me, who have done the studying, can
design systems and circuits, write international standards, climb a
transmitter tower in a gale, get you a telecomms license and shmooze
middle eastern potentates etc etc are engineers.

The chap who comes to look at my busted washing machine and announce
it is beyond repair - he is an engineer too, as is the bloke who sits
at a mixing desk with not the slightest clue as to what he is doing,
and moves a fader while trying to look cool.

I don't feel that inclined to call myself an engineer these days.

Pearce Consulting http://www.pearce.uk.com

The Ubiquitous "Sanitation Engineer" ! -a la- Dilbert ;-}
http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilber...haracter3.html
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 30, 12:46 pm, wrote:
Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Don Pearce"
wrote:

[...]

SFTV,

All That Does Not Matter - Do You Listen to Free Over-the-Air
AM/MW and Shortwave Radio ?

Are You An Avid AM/MW and Shortwave Radio Listener.

I Ask Myself : What IBOC ?
All I See Is The Blinking Blue Light ! ~ RHF
In That Distant Land* Where IBOC Fears To Go :
Life Exists and Radio Listeners Live Beyond the 10mv/m Contour.
* Twain Harte, CA -USA-

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

"Michael Black" wrote in message
) writes:
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

ANd this is a nonsense post.

You've cross-posted it to
rec.audio.tech
rec.audio.car
rec.radio.shortwave
ba.broadcast

Realistically they have nothing in common. Even the last two
are a stretch.

The question has no relevance in the first place, because
there's no context to the point of the question, and once
you cross-post there is nothing at all in common.

You might as well have asked "What did you have for breakfast"
because it would have been just as off-topic to all four
newsgroups, and be just been as nonsensical to the groups
as your actual question.

Michael

And I agree, that's why I have a nonsense answer. Age has nothing to do
with it. I've met young folk who act really mature and older people who act
like little kids.

John

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 30, 2:32 pm, Eric F. Richards wrote:
"Karl Uppiano" wrote:

Modulation and information theory are not "passé".

Don't confuse Eduardo, er, "SFTV," he has all the answers.

Oh, "SFTV," 44, computer science and mathematics, and an engineer.
And I use the term with pride and defend against those who misuse it.

Those would include YOU. You are the most childlike 35 year old I've
run across. I know 21 year olds with more maturity.

EFR - I still think SFTV is "Radium". ~ RHF
.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

wrote:
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

54
http://www.neopax.com/

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:02:17 -0700, SFTV_troy
wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand three-phase
power generation and transmission as well. Learning all that was
necessary before we could learn electronics in every major engineering
school.

That was optional at Penn State. I never took it.

When I went to engineering school at one of the Big Three there were
no "optional" engineering courses. We had to take, understand, and
pass all courses which were thrown at us or go spend out time
elsewhere. Some of them, such as Atomic Physics, were very obscure. I
knew electronics, but for the power courses I had to bust my hump.
That's why I still remember them and retain some competence after all
the years of doing communications engineering.

Doubtful. Engineering is boring; you sit in a damn cube all day long,
staring at a computer. I've been saving every penny, such that I will
be able to retire at 40-45. Or semi-retire (only take jobs I like).

If you sit in a "damn cube all day long staring at a computer" you
are no more than a designer - the bottom rung of engineering. Do you
get out in the field to see and evaluate your projects "in action"? Do
you have X years of experience or one year of experience X times?

Engineering is dull.

I too found design dull. When I started to do real engineering
(project analysis and management) it was far from dull. If you find it
dull, go do something else that will turn you on, and stop wasting
your time and that of your employer(s).
--
Phil Kane
Beaverton, OR

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
RWW RWW is offline

wrote:
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

44. Shower curtain ring salesman.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast

Cubit wrote:
"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in message
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

54
http://www.neopax.com/

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London

Remote Viewing!

It makes me wonder what percentage of the GDP is dedicated to things that do
not exist.

Like qubits?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

On Sep 30, 11:55 am, (Don Pearce) wrote:

he is an engineer too, as is the bloke who sits
at a mixing desk with not the slightest clue as to what he is doing,
and moves a fader while trying to look cool.

I don't call those people engineers, and any self-respecting
broadcaster would not, either. Those are board operators. In TV the
same function is called a TD or technical director, or simply a
switcher. A TD would be laughed out of the control room if he called
himself an engineer.

I'm mystified as to why this topic was crossposted to 4 disparate
newsgroups with little relation to each other. I don't even know who
any of the respondents are, except for Phil Kane.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
oups.com

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm 60 and I'm a degreed engineer. Professionally, I've spent more time
doing IT than anything else.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
[email protected] asswideshut@138mail.com is offline

On Sep 30, 1:42 pm, wrote:
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

I am a 44 year old single gay white male. 5' 7" tall, 313 lbs. I am
unable to work due to my weight and other health problems I would
rather not go into. Thanks to social security disability payments and
other government assistance I am able to enjoy many of my hobbies
which include shortwave radio.

A.W.S.
President
GLT Shortwave Club

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Telamon Telamon is offline

In article .com,
wrote:

I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

I'm old enough to know better. Maybe you will be a grownup some day.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Telamon Telamon is offline

wrote:

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand synchronous
detection, which may predate single side band, pre 1952.

He can't be a competent engineer if he doesn't understand three-phase
power generation and transmission as well. Learning all that was
necessary before we could learn electronics in every major engineering
school.

That was optional at Penn State. I never took it.

I didn't say it was. I said ANALOG theory was. Digital of course
still has relevance.

But every digital device is full of analogue devices. Not only that,
but they run so quickly that you need to be highly competent in
distributed circuit theory and microwave design techniques.

That is true. I was rather surprised on my last project to discover
myself modeling analog signals, instead of digital. Oh well. Times
change.

Perhaps after he has 40-50 years of experience --

Doubtful. Engineering is boring; you sit in a damn cube all day long,
staring at a computer. I've been saving every penny, such that I will
be able to retire at 40-45. Or semi-retire (only take jobs I like).

Engineering is dull.

Well you took a wrong turn didn't you but it's never to late to get into
marketing where you can lie your ass off. It's very exciting, just ask
Eduardo.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Telamon Telamon is offline

In article ,
"The Shadow" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

76 years old, retired Hewlett-Packard Technical Writer, AA Degree
Electronics, Amateur Extra since 1977, US Navy Korean War - Aviation
Electronics Tech AT1

SWL frequently

The Old Shadow do

Now that's cool. I've probably read stuff you have written.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Posted to rec.audio.car
BigBob BigBob is offline

46 yrs old.
Ex-commercial pilot fixed and heli.
9 years IT - MCSE, (CNA A+) NT4 Win2k, maybe do Win2k3 soon. Do IT for
state/prov Gov't.
5 Alpine oldschool amps 2x 3523, 1x 3525, 2x 3533's waiting for a cool new
ride to install in.
1 Sherwood 5.1 AX-6275 plus decoder, still looking for a head unit.
Drive a Ford.
Big rack of NAD home stuff from the 80's.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm 35. Engineer. And you?

I'm curious about the demographic that occupies these groups.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Steven Steven is offline

I was born in the summer of my twenty-seventh year,

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Steven Steven is offline

On Oct 1, 12:54 am, Steven wrote:
I was born in the summer of my twenty-seventh year,

and I left yesterday behind me.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

"Steven" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was born in the summer of my twenty-seventh year,

Going home to a place you've never been before?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Brenda Ann Brenda Ann is offline

"Steven" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 1, 12:54 am, Steven wrote:
I was born in the summer of my twenty-seventh year,

and I left yesterday behind me.

Might say you were born again?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,rec.radio.shortwave,ba.broadcast
Bruce Farley Bruce Farley is offline

I am 59 and am a "service technician" (a fancy name for grease monkey)
that works on Honda motorcycles.