Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

Default ADVICE AND HELP NEEDED WITH ENCLOSERS

Lets just say though i did want to build my own boxes. What should i do

and take into account. How should i angle the speakers. 6"x9" (remember
they
are facing the back of the car behind the rear seat. What should i do
and take into account? I Know they make boxes to buy, but i would realy
enjoy building my own and most of all fit them to exactly the space i
want to. So i'm sounding
really redundant-but how should i angle them and is there any space
dimensions i know should about. Need advice about that and anythign
else you can think of.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

are these 6x9 subs or just coaxials? you say they are going behind the
rear seats, is this in a hatchback or a trunk?

but I'd just make them like .4-.5 cube each

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Vivek

This is the second post of your for the same topic. Previously you have
mentioned that you are not using any external amplifier for the system. If
this is the case, then someone there did mentioned to you that using the
boxes will not improve the sound quality.

If I had a system consisting of a HU and 4 speakers, then I would use a
parcel shelf instead of the boxes. This makes the bass boomy since the
enclosure size is large. Or if you still want to go with the boxes then I
suggest to have at least .75 to 1 cubic feet.

Secondly, since the amplification power is not so high of HU I would like to
point the speakers to my ears. Thus you can point to the direction that the
sound gets to your ear after reflecting from the rear window glass. But
depends on where you are building the box, kick panels, behind rear row
seats.

I still do not understand why you do not want to use an external amplifier.
You can get it even close to 40 bucks on ebay and sound is priceless.

"Dev" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Lets just say though i did want to build my own boxes. What should i do
|
| and take into account. How should i angle the speakers. 6"x9" (remember
| they
| are facing the back of the car behind the rear seat. What should i do
| and take into account? I Know they make boxes to buy, but i would realy
| enjoy building my own and most of all fit them to exactly the space i
| want to. So i'm sounding
| really redundant-but how should i angle them and is there any space
| dimensions i know should about. Need advice about that and anythign
| else you can think of.

Posted to rec.audio.car
John

Either, if you could get the specs for the sub/mid part your could
adjust it/guess it a little better.

However, I in no way condone the use of 6x9's

Bob wald is a dumbass...

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

"Vivek" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I would second this. I believe that perhaps the reason you are not
getting more help is that most people here feel that a pair of 6x9's driven
by ONLY a HU is not worth a great deal of effort. No matter what kind of
enclosure you construct or how you point it, your sound just won't be that
hot. I STRONLY advise you to buy an amplifier, even a cheap amplifier will
make a VERY DRAMATIC difference in your sound quality.

But, as Vivek said, if it were me I would mount them in the rear-shelf and
have the sound bounce off the rear-window. The reason is that almost all
coaxial speakers (and separates for that matter) are DESIGNED (meaning they
are engeneered to sound best) in what's called an infinate-baffle enclosure.
An infinate baffle enclosure is like a car door or a trunk, it has no set
air-space volume, but it is assumed to be very large. Your 6x9's NO DOUBT
were also designed to be placed in an infinate baffle enclosure. This will
give you the very best bass response. If you do put them in a small (.4
cubic feet for instance) enclosure, you will likely be limiting the main
woofer's excursion (linear travel) and therefore limiting your bass. If you
do mount them on the rear-shelf, the KEY thing is to make sure the trunk is
as sealed from the cab as possible (you want to make your trunk like a
sealed box). All cone speakers produce sound forward AND behind, the sound
produced behind the speaker is 180 degrees out of phase. If this sound is
allowed to enter the cabin it will cancel out the sound produced by the
front of the cone. Bass is ESPECIALLY susceptible to these cancellation
effects because bass travels in all directions. This is why if you have
ever had a speaker producing sound OUT of a box and then you slowly put into
a box while it is producing music, the bass will suddenly seem to get much
louder. This is because the bass is no longer being cancelled by the sound
waves coming from behind the speaker.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

MOSFET

"Dev" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Lets just say though i did want to build my own boxes. What should i do
|
| and take into account. How should i angle the speakers. 6"x9" (remember
| they
| are facing the back of the car behind the rear seat. What should i do
| and take into account? I Know they make boxes to buy, but i would realy
| enjoy building my own and most of all fit them to exactly the space i
| want to. So i'm sounding
| really redundant-but how should i angle them and is there any space
| dimensions i know should about. Need advice about that and anythign
| else you can think of.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

Ok, Since all of you guys are so strongly recommeding an amplifier, I'm
considering it. I guess it just hooks up to the deck and from the
amplifier via fuses to speakers? Complicated? What is a cheap, good
amplifier (with enough outputs to supply four speakers)?

dev

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull

Dev wrote:
Ok, Since all of you guys are so strongly recommeding an amplifier, I'm
considering it. I guess it just hooks up to the deck and from the
amplifier via fuses to speakers? Complicated? What is a cheap, good
amplifier (with enough outputs to supply four speakers)?

dev

Hooking it up will go like this:

Power wire, fused and directly from the car battery.
Ground wire from the amp, anchored about 12 inches (or less = better)
from amp.
Inputs to amp from deck.
Outputs to speakers from amp.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

But what is a cheap, good amplifier (with enough outputs to supply four
speakers)?
Do the speakers attached to the amp via fuses? and deck to amplifier
via rca audio cables?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull

Dev wrote:
But what is a cheap, good amplifier (with enough outputs to supply four
speakers)?
Do the speakers attached to the amp via fuses? and deck to amplifier
via rca audio cables?

You'll have to search around for a cheap, good amplifier. You'll want
one with four outputs/channels if you want to power four speakers.

The speakers attach via speaker wire. The deck can attach via RCA
jacks/cables as long as the deck has those on it.

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Dev, I would recommend you read this group's FAQ at:

http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

You seem to need answers to many basic (BUT IMPORTANT) questions like how to
connect an amplifier and what kinds of amps to buy and what are good brands,
etc. The FAQ makes an EXCELLENT tutorial and I would MOST STRONGLY
recommend you read it from beginning to end as it will give you a very good
basic/intermediate education about this subject AND perhaps (most
importantly) it may also give you some new ideas and new directions about
how you want to design your car stereo.

Happy reading!

MOSFET
"Dev" wrote in message
oups.com...
But what is a cheap, good amplifier (with enough outputs to supply four
speakers)?
Do the speakers attached to the amp via fuses? and deck to amplifier
via rca audio cables?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

THANKS MAN

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

Dude i checked out the link. I couldn't find anything about amps, or
what types are good.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

SORRY-Found it and studied it.

Only one last question, Would i need a sub. i have four speakers and im
aware that the base might lack but woudl it be noticable enough to buy
one and spend the money
..

Dev wrote:
Dude i checked out the link. I couldn't find anything about amps, or
what types are good.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Vivek

Yes it would make a noticable effect, but I would suggest you go
step-by-step and do not worry about the sub for the time being.

Putting a external amp to the speakers is a straight forward. But putting a
sub is not the same. People who have earlier replied to your post are most
experienced in this area, but even they have taken numeorus evenings in the
garage to put the gear in place. Do not take this as a challenge to your
caliber, but this is tricky most of the time.

I'm suggesting this since I assume you will do it "Do it yourself" way. If
not go ahead and take the car to a install shop. RAC can only help to fit in
the missing piece not the complete gear.

"Dev" wrote in message
oups.com...
| SORRY-Found it and studied it.
|
| Only one last question, Would i need a sub. i have four speakers and im
| aware that the base might lack but woudl it be noticable enough to buy
| one and spend the money
| .
|

| Dev wrote:
| Dude i checked out the link. I couldn't find anything about amps, or
| what types are good.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

well actually putting in a sub is exactly the same as what he's doing
now, just with a sub instead of a 6 x 9, and a low pass filter instead
of high pass. so if you finish this little project and decide you want
to add a sub, it's simply doing the same thing again.

One thing I will tell you, though, is if you think that there may even
be a chance that you will put in a sub later, buy power and ground
wires that are big enough to handle both amps. Depending on what size
amps you get, 4 or 8 guage should be enough since it doesn't sound like
you will use much power. I'd suggest just using 4. Sounds like
overkill now, but if you add another amp it saves you a lot of work in
taking out your old wire and putting in the larger.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

Can i not just get a four channel amp and connect all four speakers and
one sub to it?
I was aware that you could. Do i need two amps?

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

well i suppose you can, yeah. wire two 6 x 9's to each channel on
either the front or back outputs on the amp, then probably bridge the
other two channels to a sub, probably will have to make a 4 ohm SVC.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

I'm thinking of two options:

Option 1: Running two front speakers (4"x4") from the deck (my deck has
50w x 4) and from an amp (just a 4 channel) run a sub and the two
6"x9"s.

Option 2: Run all four speakers and a sub from a 6 channel amp.

But then again since the front speakers can't even probably handle as
much as the others wouldn't it be just simpler and cheaper to go with
option 1? and considering that the front speakers don't even have any
decent amount of base and power-go with option 1?

dev
P.S. By the way thanks for putting up with my beginer stupididy and
helpin

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dev

I'm think of two options:

Option 1: Run the 2 front speakers (4"x4') from the deck (50w x 4) and
then from a 4channel amp run the two 6x9's and the sub.

Option 2: Run all four speakers and a sub from a six channel amp.

But then again considering that option one is cheaper, and simpler
wouldn't it make sense to go that option? And also taking into account
that the front 4x4's dont produce any decent amount of base and cant
even produce the power- then you would also wouldn't want them drowning
out the rear so there is no point to connecting them to an amp?Becuase
the way everyerthing could be idealy positioned would be better too
option 1 way also.

dev
Thank for putting up with my supididy, man. And helping me