Don Joe

Default blew my sub

I guess I was feeding my IDQ10 sub too many watts because it now can't
produce even moderate levels of bass without distorting. I've tested it
with a home amplifier just to make sure and it sounds equally as bad. It
puts out like a whizzing/tweeting noise constantly and can't get loud at
all.

I think my amp was giving it 360W which is 110W over its recommended RMS
level and I didn't turn the gain down enough to compensate. It sounded
great when it worked. From inspecting, there doesn't seem to be any
visible damage to the coils or the cone.

I'm now considering getting a different sub, one that can handle a bit
more power. I was thinking of the Infinity Perfect 10.1 which I've heard
in a friend's car. It's rated for 350W RMS so I think I'd be okay with
that. At least that way I can still use my ten inch box.

:\

Don
Mark Zarella

I guess I was feeding my IDQ10 sub too many watts because it now can't
produce even moderate levels of bass without distorting. I've tested it
with a home amplifier just to make sure and it sounds equally as bad. It
puts out like a whizzing/tweeting noise constantly and can't get loud at
all.

I think my amp was giving it 360W which is 110W over its recommended RMS
level and I didn't turn the gain down enough to compensate. It sounded
great when it worked. From inspecting, there doesn't seem to be any
visible damage to the coils or the cone.

I'm now considering getting a different sub, one that can handle a bit
more power. I was thinking of the Infinity Perfect 10.1 which I've heard
in a friend's car. It's rated for 350W RMS so I think I'd be okay with
that. At least that way I can still use my ten inch box.

Tough luck. What amp is it anyway?

Oh yeah, I wouldn't expect the Infinity to handle any more power than the
IDQ10. Is the IDQ10 still under warranty, or did you buy it online?

Don Joe

The amp was an MTX404 which I thought would be providing 200W bridged but
it was underrated by quite a bit and put out 360W. I bought the sub from
infinitecaraudio.com and they claim they warranty the sub for 2 years,
so I'll see what they say my options are. Can you recommend another 10
inch sub that would do better than the Infinity Perfect 10.1 for under
$200? I'd like to not have to worry about overpowering it with 360W.

Thanks,
Don J.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:27:35 -0500, Mark Zarella wrote:

Tough luck. What amp is it anyway?

Oh yeah, I wouldn't expect the Infinity to handle any more power than the
IDQ10. Is the IDQ10 still under warranty, or did you buy it online?

Mark Zarella

The amp was an MTX404 which I thought would be providing 200W bridged but
it was underrated by quite a bit and put out 360W. I bought the sub from
infinitecaraudio.com and they claim they warranty the sub for 2 years,
so I'll see what they say my options are. Can you recommend another 10
inch sub that would do better than the Infinity Perfect 10.1 for under
$200? I'd like to not have to worry about overpowering it with 360W.

Well, first of all, ignore power ratings. You can't compare between brands.
Second of all, even if your amp truly can deliver 360wrms, you may have been
delivering more than that to the speaker if you were driving the amp into
clipping.

A high-powered 10 shouldn't be too difficult to find. I'd just take a
replacement IDQ10 if it's truly covered under warranty. Otherwise, just
grab anything. There are a zillion out there.

Captain Howdy

In article , "Don Joe" wrote:
I guess I was feeding my IDQ10 sub too many watts because it now can't
produce even moderate levels of bass without distorting. I've tested it
with a home amplifier just to make sure and it sounds equally as bad. It
puts out like a whizzing/tweeting noise constantly and can't get loud at
all.

How does your amplifier feel about all of this, Is it still working ? Hooking
up a blown sub to yet another amplifier could of resulted in one hell of a bad
day.

I think my amp was giving it 360W which is 110W over its recommended RMS
level and I didn't turn the gain down enough to compensate. It sounded
great when it worked. From inspecting, there doesn't seem to be any
visible damage to the coils or the cone.

I'm now considering getting a different sub, one that can handle a bit
more power. I was thinking of the Infinity Perfect 10.1 which I've heard
in a friend's car. It's rated for 350W RMS so I think I'd be okay with
that. At least that way I can still use my ten inch box.

:\

Don

Don Joe

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:16:54 +0000, Captain Howdy wrote:

How does your amplifier feel about all of this, Is it still working ? Hooking
up a blown sub to yet another amplifier could of resulted in one hell of a bad
day.

My amp seems okay. At least the front channels seem to be fine.

Don
Don Joe

The reason I was looking at the Infinity Perfect 10.1 is because it is
rated higher (350W/1400W) and a few reviewers at Sounddomain say it can
actually take 350-400W RMS. I know you said powr ratings are useless but
there were also reviews for the IDQ10 where people said to be careful with
the gains when feeding it 300W RMS. The Perfect 10.1 is supposedly more
sensitive (94 dB compared to 89 dB for the IDQ10) so I assume I wouldn't
have to feed it as much power to get the level of output I'm after.
I was also looking at the Elemental Designs e1OO.44/14 or the e10K.44/14.
I'll see what infinitecaraudio says about the warranty for my IDQ.

Don

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:30:39 -0500, Mark Zarella wrote:

Well, first of all, ignore power ratings. You can't compare between brands.
Second of all, even if your amp truly can deliver 360wrms, you may have been
delivering more than that to the speaker if you were driving the amp into
clipping.

A high-powered 10 shouldn't be too difficult to find. I'd just take a
replacement IDQ10 if it's truly covered under warranty. Otherwise, just
grab anything. There are a zillion out there.

Mark Zarella

The reason I was looking at the Infinity Perfect 10.1 is because it is
rated higher (350W/1400W) and a few reviewers at Sounddomain say it can
actually take 350-400W RMS.

Don't worry about power ratings. I'd bet the farm that in the real world
the ID can handle more power.

I know you said powr ratings are useless but
there were also reviews for the IDQ10 where people said to be careful with
the gains when feeding it 300W RMS. The Perfect 10.1 is supposedly more
sensitive (94 dB compared to 89 dB for the IDQ10) so I assume I wouldn't
have to feed it as much power to get the level of output I'm after.

That could be an important factor, but guess what? Sensitivity ratings are
useless also. They're almost always measured at 1kHz.

Tony Fernandes

Mark Zarella wrote: "That could be an important factor, but guess what?
Sensitivity ratings are useless also. They're almost always measured at
1kHz."

I would have hoped subwoofer sensitivity ratings might have been measured,
hmmmm, I dunno...maybe somewhere in the subwoofer frequency range? Just a
thought...

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
The reason I was looking at the Infinity Perfect 10.1 is because it is
rated higher (350W/1400W) and a few reviewers at Sounddomain say it can
actually take 350-400W RMS.

Don't worry about power ratings. I'd bet the farm that in the real world
the ID can handle more power.

I know you said powr ratings are useless but
there were also reviews for the IDQ10 where people said to be careful

with
the gains when feeding it 300W RMS. The Perfect 10.1 is supposedly more
sensitive (94 dB compared to 89 dB for the IDQ10) so I assume I wouldn't
have to feed it as much power to get the level of output I'm after.

That could be an important factor, but guess what? Sensitivity ratings

are
useless also. They're almost always measured at 1kHz.

thelizman

Tony Fernandes wrote:
Mark Zarella wrote: "That could be an important factor, but guess what?
Sensitivity ratings are useless also. They're almost always measured at
1kHz."

I would have hoped subwoofer sensitivity ratings might have been measured,
hmmmm, I dunno...maybe somewhere in the subwoofer frequency range? Just a
thought...

Rarely. On reputable woofers, you'll see the sensitivity listed as "87
db @ 200 hz" or some such, but in most cases sensitivity is db of spl
with 1 watt of input power played at 1 kHz measured from 1 meter
directly in front of the woofer. If you think about it, very few "subs"
are actually purpose designed bass drivers. Most are simply loudspeakers
which have been optimized for high power input. What we have for 12"
subs are often used by sound reinforcement guys as a midrange.

--
thelizman

teamROCS Car Audio Forums
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.

Don Joe

Well Infinitecaraudio is letting me send the sub back to get examined and
repaired by ID. On the phone the guy told me I was probably giving it too
much power but I explained I was only using an MTX404 rated for 200W
bridged. I said it was likely giving it closer to 250W but that is its
recommended RMS rating. Hopefully it won't take them too long to get a
working one back to me.

Don

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:16:42 -0500, Mark Zarella wrote:

He may have just gotten a bum sub.

Hopefully they won't give him crap about replacement.

Captain Howdy

Ain't that the truth.

. Most are simply loudspeakers

which have been optimized for high power input. What we have for 12"
subs are often used by sound reinforcement guys as a midrange.

Don Joe

If you're still paying attention to this thread, Paul, I'm curious as to
whether you had to keep the gain turned low with this kind of power. If
I'm pushing 360W RMS to an IDQ10 I'm wondering if the gain turned all the
way up would be bad. Forgive my lack of knowledge--I'm still in the
learning stages.

Don

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:08:56 +0000, Paul Vina wrote:

That's odd about the power handling with the IDQ. I fed an IDQ12 over 800
watts from a bridged Kicker ZR600 for over a year with no problems.

Paul Vina

TheBIessedDead

If you're still paying attention to this thread, Paul, I'm curious as to
whether you had to keep the gain turned low with this kind of power. If
I'm pushing 360W RMS to an IDQ10 I'm wondering if the gain turned all the
way up would be bad. Forgive my lack of knowledge--I'm still in the
learning stages.

Having the gains all the way up would definetely not be good. Keep them at a
safe level and you'd be fine.

Nick
Paul Vina

I never really paid attention to where it was set. It was higher with the
single 12 than with the 3 10 or 2 12 setups but if you keep an ear out you
can hear when you're overdriving your sub.

Paul Vina

news