Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Steven[_3_] Steven[_3_] is offline

Default Home Theater Advice - Receivers and Speakers

Sometime next year I am going to dive into the world of home theater
and upgrade my 10 year old 32" Sony Trinitron.

I'm looking at all the HDTV's now and narrowing down my choices. My
question relates more to the audio component of my home theater. I
have just read an excellent book on putting together high end audio
systems, "Introductory Guide to High-Performance Audio Systems" by
Robert Harley. The book explains all the aspects of putting together
the best sounding system for any budget. I would highly recommend it.
As a matter of fact, I think I will be buying a copy soon (read my
copy from the library).

Back to my question. Since I am on a budget (which I suspect most of
us are), are their any resources online to find quality reviews of
pairings of 5.1 speaker systems and receivers? Most of the articles I
come across seem to be reviewing either the receiver or the speaker
system, almost never both. I don't have the time to listen to all the
different combinations of speakers and receivers and was wondering
where I could find this information. My budget will be about $1,200
for receiver and $2-3,000 for complete 5.1 speaker system.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

PS. For this money, I am looking for a system that will truly blow me
away. Clean, crisp sound, Dolby TrueHD compatible, mostly for watching
movies but also for listening to CD's. My current setup is an
inexpensive 10 year old Yamaha receiver with 2 B&W bookshelf speakers,
so I am not used to very high quality audio.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 13 Dec, 10:34, Steven wrote:
[...]

PSB has three 5.1 systems in the $1,800 to $3,000 range.
But, I ended up getting a pair of Vandersteen 1's for the front,
another pair of Vandersteen1.s for the rear, the Vandersteen center
channel, and a
Definitive subwoofer (D1000? i think)
the package was $3,300

The Definitive sub was $500 of that $3,300
i didn't get the Vandersteen sub, it was $1,300
anyway, its great home theater sound

I got a Sony discrete 5.1 receiver, now last\years model.
i forgot the model number
it was $499 and does the job,
it has preamp outs, if i want to upgrade the amps later.
does 5.1, also 7.1
i don't see where you need to
spend $1,200 for a receiver, put the
difference in your pocket, or in better speakers,
or best yet, in a better tv.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Steven[_3_] Steven[_3_] is offline

On Dec 13, 11:36 am, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,

Steven wrote:
[...]

A competent review of speakers should mention the amp/receiver used, and
vice versa, but a glance at hometheatermag.com shows this isn't always
the case.

PS. For this money, I am looking for a system that will truly blow me
away. Clean, crisp sound, Dolby TrueHD compatible, mostly for watching
movies but also for listening to CD's. My current setup is an
inexpensive 10 year old Yamaha receiver with 2 B&W bookshelf speakers,
so I am not used to very high quality audio.

Be sure to look at the room set-up sections of the "Introductory Guide."

You should have plenty of good choices at those price points. Don't miss
Arcam on the receiver list.

Stephen

Stephen, I had never heard of Arcam. I checked out their website and
the nearest dealer is over 1500 miles away. Thanks for the
recommendation.

Steven
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Steven[_3_] Steven[_3_] is offline

On Dec 13, 1:31 pm, ScottW wrote:
On Dec 13, 8:45 am, Clyde Slick wrote:

On 13 Dec, 10:34, Steven wrote:

[...]

Pay attention to the speakers input impedance
and your chosen receivers ratings. Not all support
4 ohm speakers for example.
The "high current" label some apply to their receivers
isn't always supported by their performance and can
be just marketing hype.
That said, I think a lot of $1200 receivers are in that price
range more for features like video converters or audio
self setup with a mic than better sound.

Scott

Thanks Scott, I will.

Steven