Peter

Default Pioneer vs Kenwood vs Clarion

I'm wondering how Pioneer compares to Kenwood & Clarion units in terms of
sound quality? Looking at ~200$ CD/MP3 players range... considering all
three brands right now and am somewhat lost.

TIA,
Peter

M Latoski

Doesn't Clarion have a 2-year warranty and most other manufacturers have
one?
Or does that only apply here in Canada?

Mike

"Peter" wrote in message
I'm wondering how Pioneer compares to Kenwood & Clarion units in terms

of
sound quality? Looking at ~200$ CD/MP3 players range... considering all
three brands right now and am somewhat lost.

TIA,
Peter

EFFENDI

"Peter" wrote in message

I'm wondering how Pioneer compares to Kenwood & Clarion units in terms of
sound quality? Looking at ~200$ CD/MP3 players range... considering all
three brands right now and am somewhat lost.

TIA,
Peter

I reccomend Pioneer over Clarion. I liked older Kenwood hu's but the
Excelon line is worth looking at. Both Kenwood and Pioneer share similar
features. Im not sure about warrantys on the Clarions but both Kenwoods
Excelon and Pioneer Premier lines have longer warrantys if that is
something important to you.

EFFENDI

Paul Vina

Clarion has a 2-yr on the ProAudio units, Pioneer has a 2-yr on the Premier
units and Kenwood has a 2-yr on the Excelon units. I like the Pioneer for
ease of use and sound shaping ability. I doubt you'd be able to hear an
audible difference between any of them with the sound shaping circuits
turned off.

Paul Vina

"Peter" wrote in message
I'm wondering how Pioneer compares to Kenwood & Clarion units in terms

of
sound quality? Looking at ~200$ CD/MP3 players range... considering

all
three brands right now and am somewhat lost.

TIA,
Peter

s7oned

i have a kenwood HU and i think it sounds much better and cleaner than
pioneer HUs. Its got DSP which you can play with.. and you can model
the sound for a large/medium/small car cabin ...pioneers tend to be
heavy in the bass department... but kenwoods cleaner througout the
range.. but less bassy IMO. i also like the non fader on/off switch..
so you can turn the subs off when you dont feel like booming around..
since i got it from a friend who switched to carrozzeria(pioneer
japanese versions) i didnt have any documentation with it.. so had to
figure out everything the hard way... but now that ive got the hang of
it.. its pretty easy to use.. oh and i like the bigger remote more
friendly and dont have to look when using it..unlike the card type
remote most pioneers come up with....
about clarion.. i havent had the pleasure of lissening to one in quite
a while.. the last i heard was when tape decks were the thing and EMS
or EPS (the stuff where you could rewind and forward one song at a time
were the tech breakthrough.) but it sounded awesome back then...
DO check out the kenwood excelon line...
i like mine double DIN..hehe
--
s7oned
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...hreadid=163988

Peter

i have a kenwood HU and i think it sounds much better and cleaner than
pioneer HUs. Its got DSP which you can play with.. and you can model

about clarion.. i havent had the pleasure of lissening to one in quite
a while.. the last i heard was when tape decks were the thing and EMS

I have to confess I'm no wiser than before... Pioneer is good... so is
Kenwood & Clarion. I've heard people ranting about Clarion sound quality,
but all those "reviews" are somewhat outdated. Anyway, I guess I can't go
wrong with either Pioneer or Kenwood. Clarion doesn't have all that good
selection in my price range, and I'm somewhat put off by their HU design
anyway.

Thanks for all responses!
Peter

Steve Grauman

I'd take the Pioneer. They've got the most user-friendly interface, good looks,
great features for the price, and a great track record. I've heard about severe
problems with Clarion and Kenwood products, and don't particularly like them
anyway. It's much easier to reccomend decks when there's a price point to work
with, but Blaupunkt makes a great deck also, and perhaps the only decks as user
friendly as the Pioneer product. You can't neglect Eclipse or Alpine either.
Peter

anyway. It's much easier to reccomend decks when there's a price point to
work

Hey, I mentioned my price point of ~200$!
I like Pioneers, too, but another issue that has cropped up is European FM
tuning - I'll be moving the car to Europe, and need FM to work there.
Pioneer has separate product line for US/Europe while Kenwood's units all
seem to be re-tuneable. So I have currently set up my mind for Kenwood, X569
being the most likely candidate.

Thanks for all the info!

Peter

Steve Grauman

Hey, I mentioned my price point of ~200$!

Sorry, I didn't see that. =)

another issue that has cropped up is European FM
tuning - I'll be moving the car to Europe, and need FM to work there.
Pioneer has separate product line for US/Europe while Kenwood's units all
seem to be re-tuneable. So I have currently set up my mind for Kenwood, X569
being the most likely candidate.

Most if not all of Blaupunkt's decks can do European tuning, and even include
the practically useless RDS! =) Buy a Blaupunkt, they're the best bang for the
buck next to Pioneer decks IMHO, and a definite step up from Kenwood, also
IMHO.
Peter

another issue that has cropped up is European FM
tuning - I'll be moving the car to Europe, and need FM to work there.
Pioneer has separate product line for US/Europe while Kenwood's units all
seem to be re-tuneable. So I have currently set up my mind for Kenwood,

X569
being the most likely candidate.

Most if not all of Blaupunkt's decks can do European tuning, and even

include
the practically useless RDS! =) Buy a Blaupunkt, they're the best bang for

the
buck next to Pioneer decks IMHO, and a definite step up from Kenwood, also
IMHO.

I checked out Blaupunkts, their Phoenix and Los Angeles models have European
tuning and "useless" RDS... the prob is that Phonix looks awful, and LA
is out of my price range. San Jose would be OK, but no European tuning on
that one, no RDS either. Actually they only have 3 MP3 players in their
whole product lineup (at least according to blaupunktusa.com).

I'm still set for Kenwood X569. Other thing I like about Kenwoods is
availability of fancy accessories like steering wheel remote (well, this is
not fancy - gonna need one), heads-up display, compass unit etc. RDS would
be nice, it's a big thing in Europe... oh well...

Thanks for all the advice!
Peter

Steve Grauman

I'm still set for Kenwood X569. Other thing I like about Kenwoods is
availability of fancy accessories like steering wheel remote (well, this is
not fancy - gonna need one), heads-up display, compass unit etc. RDS would
be nice, it's a big thing in Europe... oh well...

You ever thought of just waiting to buy a deck till' after you're in Europe?

Peter

I'm still set for Kenwood X569. Other thing I like about Kenwoods is
availability of fancy accessories like steering wheel remote (well, this

is
not fancy - gonna need one), heads-up display, compass unit etc. RDS would
be nice, it's a big thing in Europe... oh well...

You ever thought of just waiting to buy a deck till' after you're in

Europe?

Yes, I have. Somehow the thought of paying twice as much for the same deck
does not appeal to me...

Peter

factory81

The funny thing about Pioneer HU's is the fact they use the sam
proccessor in all of there HU's, you can tell this by the fact tha
there cheapest HU as well as there most expansive HU has the same SNR
So even there $100 deck theoretically would sound as nice as there $60
deck. The part that makes you think it sounds better is the fact tha
you have 48 worthless options for sound configuration and built in EQ
I think Pioneer bundles the same brain, differant MOSFET power suppl
per HU (more expansive ones get a higher rated one), and then the
unlock more options on the brain as you pay more, and then obviousll
if they have a differant display, differant display
-
factory8
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over one million posts online
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...threadid=16398

Daniel Stocker

Is this true? Where did you hear this from? A mate? A magazine? Do you have
a link/reference to more info on this topic? If this is true I would be very
intrigued. I understand how it works, the way they "unlock" options is to
merely "disconnect" (by cutting/scratching across the copper circuits on the
PCBs/components) the connections of the processing/features that they wish
to suppress. It is easier to have everything connected, and then to
"disconnect" the paths they want to suppress, than to "connect" the paths
they want to include. That's a very brief and broad overview of things. At
least that's how they do it with computer PCBs and the like. Someone please
correct me and put me straight if I'm off here.

Cheers,
Daniel

"factory81" wrote in message
s.com...
The funny thing about Pioneer HU's is the fact they use the same
proccessor in all of there HU's, you can tell this by the fact that
there cheapest HU as well as there most expansive HU has the same SNR.
So even there $100 deck theoretically would sound as nice as there $600
deck. The part that makes you think it sounds better is the fact that
you have 48 worthless options for sound configuration and built in EQ.
I think Pioneer bundles the same brain, differant MOSFET power supply
per HU (more expansive ones get a higher rated one), and then they
unlock more options on the brain as you pay more, and then obviouslly