Default Very frustrated with Mbox/Windows XP

Hey there,

Am I the only one with a non-functioning Mbox? I've had this thing for
a year and every time I try to get it to work, I spend a day and a half
trying everything, pulling my hair out and not doing the project I
wanted to, and then leave it for another 6 months.

I get constant 9129 and 9093 errors, despite having shut off every
extension, disconnecting my wireless, etc. I can't record reliably for
longer than one minute. I've looked all over the DUC and answer base.

I have a nice T41 laptop that I think is one of DIGI's recomended
computers.

Is it wrong to think that DIGI should provide a list of things to do to
absolutely make this thing work? I feel like I paid $350 something for
a kit.

The worst part is that all I need to do is record one or two tracks for
NPR type radio things. I'm wondering if I should put this thing on
EBay and get a USB soundcard that I can use with some stable audio
editor? I tried using Audacity, but the latency is annoying.

Any suggestions? I'm pulling my hair out right now.

Thanks
Paul

Paul,
I am using Mbox with Windows XP. It has worked flawlessly. One day I
installed AIM (Aol instant messenger) and Mbox/protools crashed on
every use. I removed the software, and I'm back to flawless operation.

My laptop is a Compaq v2140US with Pentium M centrino and all stock
parts.
I also a P4 desktop that seemed to not like the Mbox. After
reinstalling the Windows XP system and pro tools, flawless.

A couple things I noticed. My Mbox needs to be installed on 1 USB port
and I need to use it on that port. If I started messing around with
plugging it into different USB ports and trying to reinstall on
multiple ports, inconsistent results occured.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Mike

Citizen Ted

On 13 Jun 2005 10:13:47 -0400, (Mike Rivers)
wrote:

I've found that to be the case with many (maybe all) USB devices. I
have a scanner, flash card reader, Jukebox 3 and portable disk drive
that I plug in as needed. The scanner (the oldest one of the devices)
seems to be happy plugged into either port, but if I plug the other
devices into the "wrong" port, sometimes Windows tries to re-install
the device. This doesn't seem to do any harm, but life shouldn't be
like that.

It's enough to make a Unix user out of me (but I'm not sure I have
that long to live).

WIN XP will automagically load and install a USB device that is
supported natively in the OS (such as flash drives, common printers,
card readers, etc). Thus, when you start playing musical USB ports
with the device, Windows happily re-loads the device for you. The
downside? Each time you re-load these native devices, Windows keeps
the previous "install" as a "Nonpresent Device". You cannot see these
Nonpresent Devices in Device Manager; you need to reboot in Safe Mode
and go to ViewShow Hidden Devices in Device Manager. You can now
laboriously uninstall each redundant instance of these Nonpresent
Devices (they appear as transluscent icons). This a Good Thing To Do,
as Windows will reach a limit (usually ten devices on any one port)
and then no longer let you add any more devices!

Most vendor-driver USB devices (such as your fancy-shmancy USB and
Firewire audio interfaces/controllers) are not supported natively in
Windows. Thus, when you plug the device into a different USB port,
Windows queries you to install the drivers all over again. Don't do
it. Just plug the device back into its original USB port. The device
will be recognized and loaded. If you continue to play musical USB
ports with your audio interface, you will eventually get chock full of
Nonpresent Devices. Windows will load the device again, but won't make
it available in software. Now you have to do the Safe ModeDevice
ManagerViewShow Hidden Devices and delete all those ghosted-out
Nonpresent Devices. After rebooting normally, you can re-install your
vendor drivers and get your ass back to work.

The bottom line: when you install a vendor USB audio interface, select
a USB port on your computer that you will always dedicate to this
interface. No more musical USB ports! On my rig, I actually labelled
my USB ports: printer, MIDI controller, audio interface, scanner,
flash drive, etc. I highly recommend this practice.

- TR
BTW: I'm new to this NG. I like it! You guys are the shizzle.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

WIN XP will automagically load and install a USB device that is
supported natively in the OS (such as flash drives, common printers,
card readers, etc). Thus, when you start playing musical USB ports
with the device, Windows happily re-loads the device for you. The
downside? Each time you re-load these native devices, Windows keeps
the previous "install" as a "Nonpresent Device". You cannot see these
Nonpresent Devices in Device Manager; you need to reboot in Safe Mode
and go to ViewShow Hidden Devices in Device Manager. You can now
laboriously uninstall each redundant instance of these Nonpresent
Devices (they appear as transluscent icons).

That's interesting. I'm sure this adds to the "gook load" of the
computer, eventually slowing something down.

I avoid using safe mode as much as possible because it runs at a lower
resolution than what I nomrmally use (640 x 480?) and all the desktop
icons get re-arranged. When I go back to normal operation, I have to
arrange the desktop all over again so that I can aim the mouse to
where I'm used to aiming it. Is there any way to either make that not
happen? Maybe an option to run safe mode in my normal resolution, or
some way to save the desktop arrangement someplace where it will be
safe from re-arrangement (like maybe to a floppy)? I see desktop.ini
in many places, but given Windows' strange ways, it may have nothing
to do with the desktop.

I took a peek (in normal Windows mode) at the Device Manager and
saw the "Show hidden devices" option that I had never noticed before.
I didn't see anything change, even when expanding the USB and disk
drive devices. Will this be different in Safe mode?

Most vendor-driver USB devices (such as your fancy-shmancy USB and
Firewire audio interfaces/controllers) are not supported natively in
Windows. Thus, when you plug the device into a different USB port,
Windows queries you to install the drivers all over again. Don't do
it. Just plug the device back into its original USB port.

That's usually what I do, and it usually works.

The bottom line: when you install a vendor USB audio interface, select
a USB port on your computer that you will always dedicate to this
interface.

It's only on the laptop that I have this problem since I use it both
as a desktop and portable. With two USB ports and 4 USB devices, I
occasionally do swap things around without thinking about it. On the
studio computer, I regularly use only one USB device, a MIDI
interface, so that stays plugged in all the time. And on the regular
working under-the-desktop computer, I don't use the USB ports (though
I do have a hub that I've stuck to the top of the computer so that I
can bring in a visitor now and then.

An, by the way, for anyone remembering my frustrations over the past
couple of weeks trying to use Norton Ghost with my laptop computer.
The final disposition (which I was beginning to suspect but it took a
long time to get a difinitive answer from either Symantec or Adaptec)
is that Ghost doesn't work through a PCMCIA card, which is my Firewire
adapter on this computer. However, thorough the process I did learn
which Firewire drive cases work with the Adaptec PCMCIA-Firewire
adapter and which ones don't. Seems that the traditional Oxford 911
chipset is the key. Good to know should I find another need for an
external drive under Windows on this computer. But for the moment,
there's no need to keep the $65 case that's the only one I found that
works.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Edward Bridge

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey there,

Paul

I down loadednot thinking ( that's me) the 2nd service patch for XP,
digi002/protools 6.3 went in a tail spin. Make sure you don't have _that_
2 nd service patch on your lap top.

--
Peace,
Ed Bridge

Ed,
Did you uninstall and reinstall pro tools after upgrading to Service
Pack 2?

Mike

Edward Bridge

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ed,
Did you uninstall and reinstall pro tools after upgrading to Service
Pack 2?

Mike

No, (this was last summer) I belived I just uninstall service pack 2, I
can't be 100 precent, I am 100 precent that after upgrading to service pack
2 , protools did not work.

--
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to

It does work with SP2. But as many of us learned the hard way... you
can't expect your current software to function properly after changing
your system. Some software may have to be completely reinstalled,
meaning, not only using the uninstall software, but manually finding
and removing all files related to the software.

Mike

Lorin David Schultz

"Edward Bridge" wrote:

I down loadednot thinking ( that's me) the 2nd service patch for
XP,digi002/protools 6.3 went in a tail spin. Make sure you don't
have _that_ 2 nd service patch on your lap top.

I've got SP2 on my Xp laptop and it works fine. I never tried it with
Pro Tools 6.3, but it worked with 6.4 and is now working with 6.7.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Edward Bridge

"Lorin David Schultz" wrote in message
I've got SP2 on my Xp laptop and it works fine. I never tried it with
Pro Tools 6.3, but it worked with 6.4 and is now working with 6.7.

Hi David and Mike.M

I should go back and check on things. . I remember windows did it's "up
date" thing last year, and bang, no working protools, I went to digidesign
web site and it said, that they were not ready yet for service patch 2. .I
guess they are now. :)

My PC setup is happy with out SP2, knock on wood.. he he

--
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com/
please reply to

Ty,

I've done everything on their website, twice. I can't say that they
are particularly helpful with any of this. More like they are
negligent. I think it would be reasonable to expect a clear listing of
things to do, but for the most part it's a bunch of hints and tips that
might work.

I've already reinstalled Windows, protools and everything else trying
to get this thing to work.

Paul

I'm at work now, so not able to test this out, but from some
conversations on the DUC it seems like my problem might be using a USB
2.0 hard drive. I think (hope) that it might be interfering with the
MBOX. This would explain a lot.

Actually I would really prefer to just use my C drive to record on. I
know it is not ideal, but that would be a lot more portable and I have
minimal plug in and track count needs. If that worked and I could back
up and archive to the external drive I would be fine.

here's to hoping. I wish I hadn't installed SP2 last night in a fit of
desperation, but we shall see what happens.

I still think that support could be a lot better. I've had more
trouble with Digidesign stuff than anything else I've ever used.
Actually, it's the ONLY stuff that ever gives me any trouble, other
than an Epson scanner that I returned.

Thanks
Paul

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

wrote in message...

Actually I would really prefer to just use my C drive to record on.

I recommend not using your system drive to record on. Throw a
partition on there and dedicate the new part to your recording.

here's to hoping. I wish I hadn't installed SP2 last night in a fit of
desperation, but we shall see what happens.

In a fit of desperation? After two people responded that SP 2
had caused them problems? Odd.

I still think that support could be a lot better. I've had more
trouble with Digidesign stuff than anything else I've ever used.

I've heard support is questionable.

Actually, it's the ONLY stuff that ever gives me any trouble, other
than an Epson scanner that I returned.

Then why didn't you return the M-Box a year ago when it didn't work?

DM

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message...

I've been telling some virus-related stories here lately and I just
discovered this morning that I can't run the update to Zone Alarm. It
just won't run at all. I'm beginning to suspect that something is
still messed up in Windows (though I haven't resorted to a re-install)
perhaps related to a temporary directory that can't be found. But the
lack of error messages makes troubleshooting difficult.

Is this your Win98SE box ??

DM

"You do the best you can, and when you decide that you've wasted enough
time on it, you cut your losses and try something else. There's always
a market for your M-Box on eBay. "

You know, I thought I had figured it out tonight, and then I realize
that no, nothing is going to make this thing work. You are right. It
will be on Ebay by the end of the week. Good riddens. I don't want to
think about the amount of time I've wasted on this piece of garbaggio.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

wrote in message...

You know, I thought I had figured it out tonight, and then I realize
that no, nothing is going to make this thing work.

For the life of me, I can't imagine why you've had this box for over
a year with no results and not returned it to your dealer or had the
product's customer support solve your problem long ago.

I don't want to think about the amount of time I've wasted on this
piece of garbaggio.

You should actually be thinking long and hard about why you are
just now posting about this and that you waited so long to do
anything that might actually get you some results.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Lorin David Schultz

Hey there,

Am I the only one with a non-functioning Mbox? [...]

I get constant 9129 and 9093 errors, despite having shut off every
extension, disconnecting my wireless, etc. I can't record reliably
for longer than one minute. I've looked all over the DUC and answer
base.

I have a nice T41 laptop that I think is one of DIGI's recomended
computers.

What's a T41? Have you checked the compatibility documents to *make
sure* it's not on the "disqualified" list? After a year of problems,
I'd want to be more sure than "I think..." Go to the following page to
see how you can find out:

http://digidesign.com/compato/xp/mypc/

I tried using Audacity, but the latency is annoying.

How did you record into Audacity? Through the Mbox?

Any suggestions? I'm pulling my hair out right now.

Well, you said you've tried the answerbase, so maybe you've already seen
this bit from the Digi FAQ:

[4833]
How can I avoid -9093 errors on my Pro Tools LE system?

On some Windows systems, the network device/driver can cause -9093
errors while using Pro Tools LE with small (128 or 256) H/W buffer
sizes. One workaround is obviously to raise the H/W buffer size to 512
or 1024, but this results in larger (and undesirable) input-to-output
latencies in Pro Tools. There are a few workarounds that allow H/W
buffers of 128 to work on most systems. (Both involve temporarily
disabling your network device.)

Option 1: Manually Disable the Network Device in your (default) Hardware
Profile. Go to the Windows Control Panel and open the "System" applet.
On the "Device Manager" tab, expand the "Network adapters" item, and
then double click on the icon for your network device. A properties
dialog will open. On the "General" tab you'll see a checkbox for
"Disable in this hardware profile." Check this box and close all the
dialogs. You shouldn't need to reboot -- your network device has now
been disabled and Pro Tools LE should perform better with small H/W
buffer sizes. To re-enable your Network Device, go back to the Device
Manager and uncheck the "Disable in this hardware profile" checkbox.

Option 2: Create a New Hardware Profile with your Network Device
Disabled. An alternative to manually enabling/disabling the Network
Device in the Device Manager (option 1 above) is to create a new
Hardware Profile and disable the Network Device in that profile. This
option is a bit cleaner/simpler, but does require you to reboot Windows
when switching between Profiles. To create a new profile, go to the
Windows Control Panel and open the "System" applet. On the "Hardware
Profiles" tab select the "Original Configuration" profile (or whatever
profile you typically use) and click the "Copy..." button. Name the new
Profile "Pro Tools LE" or something similar and press OK. Click OK to
close the System Control Applet, and then reboot Windows. Each time you
reboot, you'll be given the option to select which Hardware Profile
you'd like to use. Select the "Pro Tools LE" profile you just created,
and when Windows is fully booted follow the steps in Option 1 (above) to
disable the Network Device in your current profile. From now on,
whenever you boot Windows using the "Pro Tools LE" hardware profile the
Network Device will automatically be disabled. If you boot Windows using
the "Original Configuration" Profile, your Network Device will be
enabled.

Note: Some other devices (in addition to Network Devices) can cause
similar problems/conflicts with Pro Tools LE. If these devices are not
necessary while running Pro Tools (e.g., other sound devices, modem
devices, FireWire/1394 Controller devices, etc.) you can disable them as
well as your network card in the "Pro Tools LE" Hardware Profile.
If -9093, -9094, or -9128 errors are happening frequently, the methods
above can be used to identify which device is causing the problem. By
systematically disabling one device at a time (and then running Pro
Tools LE to check performance), you can see if the presence of a certain
device causes Pro Tools LE to throw errors during playback/record.

Systems using hard drives that do not have DMA enabled (see step 7) are
prone to -9093,-9094, and -9129 DAE errors. The procedure below will
update the driver provider for the Intel Hard Disk Controller from Intel
to Microsoft . It should only be attempted if you are having
persistent -9093,-9094 or -9129 errors that have not been remedied by
Option 1 and 2 above. If your motherboard has an Intel Chipset (See the
Dig i001 for Windows compatibility section at www.digidesign.com for
more information) the following steps will usually make the DMA
parameter available for your IDE Drive:

* Shut down your computer and reboot into "Safe" mode by holding down
the "F8" or "Ctrl" key at the Windows splash screen (Some PC's may use a
different key to enter "Safe" mode, consult with your PC manufacturer if
you cannot enter "Safe" mode).

* At the Desktop, choose Start Menu Control Panel Add Remove
Programs. Select the Intel ATA Storage Driver and remove.

* Insert the Windows 98 SE or ME CD Rom in the CD tray and restart your
computer.

* The Hardware Wizard will automatically update the driver. Restart.

* Right-Click on My Computer Choose Properties Device Manager Disk
Drives Generic IDE Drive (usually Type 47) Settings. Enable the DMA
Parameter.

* Enable DMA for other hard drives. Restart.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Frustrated with latency: which piece of gear is the culprit? Skippy Pro Audio 4 November 22nd 04 04:17 PM
Frustrated with latency: which piece of gear is the culprit? Skippy Pro Audio 0 November 22nd 04 06:13 AM
Frustrated! Gloria Frueh Pro Audio 4 October 27th 03 01:44 PM
Delta 1010 LT - nightmare .... yes , another frustrated user.....! john granville Pro Audio 2 July 3rd 03 07:06 PM