Bill S.

Default Bose receiver broken and need alternate.

Bose receiver broken and need replacement or knowledge or a
recommendation.

I have a very old Bose DEMC-2-B receiver that has stopped working.
Judging by the size of the traces on the printed circuit board it is
early 1980's technology and I am looking for a replacement. The basic
setup is three rooms with two Bose 102 ceiling mounted speakers and
remote volume in each room. The best that I can tell there are three
amplifiers in the receiver along with an AM/FM radio.

Other rooms are connected but they have independent amplifiers and
work properly when connected to another source for testing.

The most knowledgeable local audio store person that could be found
advised that Bose was different and suggested only a Bose receiver
could drive the speakers. Somehow the ‘only Bose' comment did not
test for reasonableness.

The system is in a home purchased three years ago. The receiver has
been removed and the hole in the wall is being repaired. The wiring
is accessible to the new receiver location with only minor changes.
Since the unit is broken additional features are not the primary
consideration. Also there is no interest in replacing the speakers,
which sound fine for my purposes. Hopefully the receiver can be
replaced with current technology without replacing speakers or
rewiring the house. I am simply trying to solve the ‘it's broken
problem'.

Thanks in advance for any insight that can be offered.

Bill Stanley

Bill S.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message ...
Sounds like perhaps the easiest thing would be to repair the receiver.
What's it doing wrong?

Mark Z.

Mark, the volume in one room is wide open and the line out for the
independent amplifiers was driving only one channel properly.

The project was initially started to verify that the in wall wiring
was not the source of the problem. Along the way I realized the
circuit boards traces resemble an Apple II. Almost no one repairs
other types of electronic gear anymore. And with electronic
technology racing along at light speed it seemed prudent and maybe
cost effective to replace the receiver with newer more modern
receiver. Additionally the receiver had been repaired shortly before
I moved and also exchanged about a year and a half later.

Replacing the receiver seemed to be the most logical approach.

Thanks.

Bill Stanley

"Bill S." wrote in message
m...
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

Well, I know Bose equipment can be quite unconventional, so anything I say
may not apply, but in general:

Volume full blast would usually be caused by a lifted ground or a defective
volume control, sometimes bad solder connections.

Not quite sure what you mean by not driving an amp properly. I assume you've
checked the amp and it's OK?

Mark Z.

"Bill S." wrote in message
om...
[...]

"Bill S." wrote in message
m...
[...]

Bill S.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message ...
Well, I know Bose equipment can be quite unconventional, so anything I say
may not apply, but in general:

Volume full blast would usually be caused by a lifted ground or a defective
volume control, sometimes bad solder connections.

Well the volume control was checked first since the initial suspicion
was a wall-wiring problem. The receiver was disconnected and
resistance was measured both at the control and at the receiver
without finding anything unusual. Three to four ohms on low volume
and 10 to 12 k ohms on high volume as I remember.

Much later I borrowed a receiver from my son and connected each room
individually and the volume control was OK in the offending room and
the other rooms.

Not quite sure what you mean by not driving an amp properly. I assume you've
checked the amp and it's OK?

Originally the right channel had developed a lot of static.
Disconnecting the right channel line out to the amplifiers stopped the
static. Later I disconnected both channels from the receiver and
connected the line out of small Sony CD player and the sound was
normal.

Pardon my general lack of audio knowledge but it has taken several
months to arrive at the current level of understanding. I missed
having an audio system earlier in life and this is my first real
system.

Although I started out looking for a more modern replacement your
comments have suggested close look at the amplifier circuit board.
After looking closely at the traces in the amplifier circuit there are
no apparent signs of lifted traces of overheating of any kind.
However I am sort of flying blind.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill Stanley

Mark Z.

"Bill S." wrote in message
om...
[...]

"Bill S." wrote in message
m...
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

Have you tried contacting Bose for service? They have a professional
products group. Your product may be of that line.

Mark Z.

"Bill S." wrote in message
om...
[...]

om...

--
Please reply only to Group. I regret this is necessary. Viruses and

spam

"Bill S." wrote in message
m...
[...]

Bill S.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message ...
Have you tried contacting Bose for service? They have a professional
products group. Your product may be of that line.

Mark Z.

Mark.

Well I spoke at length with three very polite and knowledgeable people
at Bose.

Below is a summary of the information resulting from the
conversations.

It appears that the Bose DEMC-2-B receiver was manufactured starting
in 1988 and discontinued sometime around 1992/1993.
The Bose 102 speakers are low impedance speakers and were referred to
as 1.2 ohm impedance speakers.
Current speakers are either 4 or 8 ohms and are not compatible.
Current receivers manufactured by Bose are not compatible with past
1.2 ohm speakers.
The receiver has three amplifiers.
Volume control in the receiver is by Voltage Controlled Amplifiers.
Turing the volume pot up turns the voltage up to the amplifier and
volume is louder.
An open circuit to the volume control will cause the amplifier to
drive at full volume.
The volume control is by a 10 k. variable resister.

The bottom line is that there are no replacement receivers. Replacing
the receiver would also require replacing the speakers.

The information above is stated for clarity. Likely the information
is not news to you.

The good news is that Bose is sending a schematic.

Your suggestions, which implied repairing the system, are turning out
to be very astute.

Thank you.

Bill Stanley

"Bill S." wrote in message
om...
[...]

"Bill S." wrote in message
om...
[...]

"Bill S." wrote in message
m...
[...]

Mark D. Zacharias

Well, I hope that works out for you. Obviously I was correct that your
system was one of Bose' unconventional types.

Clearly the one channel that's way too loud has a DC problem affected the
voltage-conrolled amp.

Mark Z.

"Bill S." wrote in message
om...
[...]

[...]

[...]