Posted to rec.audio.car
Lou[_2_] Lou[_2_] is offline

Default Trouble using DIN tool

I made DIN tools from a coathanger, but I can't get the radio out. Is a
coathanger not firm enough?

Actually, something might be wrong with the locking tab inside the lower
right hole. That tab feels like it wont bend in, and the haner gets stuck
in that hole. If something is broken in there and the DIN tool won't work,
what's the next best way to get the radio out?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Lou[_2_] Lou[_2_] is offline

I finally got it out. It just took a lot of probing and finesse. Two
minutes later, my new Sony CDX-GT310 was in and working. It's my first
aftermarket head unit, and I'm happy with it. I'll post a review after I've
spent more time with it.

"Lou" wrote in message
I made DIN tools from a coathanger, but I can't get the radio out. Is a
coathanger not firm enough?

Actually, something might be wrong with the locking tab inside the lower
right hole. That tab feels like it wont bend in, and the haner gets stuck
in that hole. If something is broken in there and the DIN tool won't

work,
what's the next best way to get the radio out?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

"Lou" wrote in message
I made DIN tools from a coathanger, but I can't get the radio out. Is a
coathanger not firm enough?

Actually, something might be wrong with the locking tab inside the lower
right hole. That tab feels like it wont bend in, and the haner gets stuck
in that hole. If something is broken in there and the DIN tool won't

work,
what's the next best way to get the radio out?

Next time, it would be helpful if you specified the vehicle, at least.
A "DIN tool" is completely meaningless.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Next time, it would be helpful if you specified the vehicle, at least.
A "DIN tool" is completely meaningless.

Matt,

It wasn't meaningless at all to me. I have removed factory head units from
Ford vehicles and I had to buy a couple of flat metal "grabbers" (you can
buy these anywhere including Walmart) in order to remove the unit. To me,
it was clear he was talking about that and frankly I thought it was a
perfectly clear way of describing the tool.

Not trying to start an argument, flame war, or anything, it's just that it
was clear to me what he needed and was attempting to do.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
Next time, it would be helpful if you specified the vehicle, at least.
A "DIN tool" is completely meaningless.

Matt,

It wasn't meaningless at all to me. I have removed factory head units from
Ford vehicles and I had to buy a couple of flat metal "grabbers" (you can
buy these anywhere including Walmart) in order to remove the unit. To me,
it was clear he was talking about that and frankly I thought it was a
perfectly clear way of describing the tool.

Not trying to start an argument, flame war, or anything, it's just that it
was clear to me what he needed and was attempting to do.

I've worked on a lot of vehicles (when I was working in the biz) that
had factory DIN decks and different "tools" used to remove them. The
Fords all had a pair of U-shaped "handles" with catches on the ends that
were inserted into holes in the faceplate of the deck. Others had
variations on flat metal tabs that were inserted down the sides of the deck.

It's clear what he's trying to do, but not so much what SPECIFIC tool he
was trying to replicate without at least knowing the make of the vehicle.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Matt Ion wrote:
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

And besides, it's just generally good advice to give as much info as
possible when asking for help, don't you think?

"I need to remove something from my car and I made a doo-thingy out of
an old coathanger, what am I doing wrong" really isn't a very useful
place to start.
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

I agree with Matt. when I 1st read the post I was unsure of what he ment by
DIN tool,
since different vehicles use a different tool, plus the different brands of
head units
use a different tool for there radios (Sony, pioneer, Panasonic etc).
But after he said "coathanger", I was pretty sure it was a Ford or a Mazda
vehicle
that he was refering to.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

I suspected Ford as well, when he mentioned the coat hanger, but as you
say, some Mazdas also use this sort of tool, and other designs CAN be
removed with similar rod-type tools... so ASSuming anything doesn't get
us anywhere.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

OK, fair enough. He did not give enough information. Fine.

HOWEVER, we CAN assertain (I certainly did) that by DIN tool he meant a tool
to remove the HU. Again, don't want to start any flame war or anything, I
just felt calling his description "completely meaningless" a little cold as
I knew at least A) he was trying to fabricate a tool to remove the facotry
HU and B) was having problems.

Do we EVER get all the info we need to answer most poster's questions?
Usually not, and for good reason. They often don't know what's important
and what is not (he may not have thought the model, year, ect. of the
vehicle was relevant). So we ask more questions to try and nail down the
problem.

This all goes back to a point I made a long time ago about how we, as a
group or individualy, treat newbs.

I'll just say this one thing, if I had got a response like the one you gave,
I would probably never come back to this group.

Just something to think about.

MOSFET

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Lou[_2_] Lou[_2_] is offline

MOSFET, it's precisely because of your understanding response that I didn't
unsubscribe. This being my first foray into aftermarket car audio, I'm
still learning what the right questions are. But I'm quite familiar with
how things go with online discussions, so I put the other responses in that
perspective.

m...

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

I can see why Mazda would use the same tool as Ford that's a given. Dont some
people use hammers to remove Ford Hu's?

I suspected Ford as well, when he mentioned the coat hanger, but as you
say, some Mazdas also use this sort of tool, and other designs CAN be
removed with similar rod-type tools... so ASSuming anything doesn't get
us anywhere.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

Well Lou, even with that said use some ****ing common sense when asking
questions in regards to your car. When you buy auto parts for the ****ing
thing do you only ask for the part and let the parts person guess what car you
need the parts for? Being a dip**** is one thing, but don't make excuses for
being you.

In article , "Lou"
wrote:
MOSFET, it's precisely because of your understanding response that I didn't
unsubscribe. This being my first foray into aftermarket car audio, I'm
still learning what the right questions are. But I'm quite familiar with
how things go with online discussions, so I put the other responses in that
perspective.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Lou,

This is ****ing Captain Howdy and although he is not exactly a ****ing troll
because he does often offer good ****ing advice, he can be quite ****ing
abrasive.

BTW, guess what his favorite word is.

MOSFET

"Lou" wrote in message
. ..
MOSFET, it's precisely because of your understanding response that I

didn't
unsubscribe. This being my first foray into aftermarket car audio, I'm
still learning what the right questions are. But I'm quite familiar with
how things go with online discussions, so I put the other responses in

that
perspective.

m...

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

Not not exactly a ****ing pretender either.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
Lou,

This is ****ing Captain Howdy and although he is not exactly a ****ing troll
because he does often offer good ****ing advice, he can be quite ****ing
abrasive.

BTW, guess what his favorite word is.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Lou[_2_] Lou[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the support. I wasn't going to feed him, but why should he have
all the fun?

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
Lou,

This is ****ing Captain Howdy and although he is not exactly a ****ing

troll
because he does often offer good ****ing advice, he can be quite ****ing
abrasive.

BTW, guess what his favorite word is.

MOSFET

"Lou" wrote in message
. ..
MOSFET, it's precisely because of your understanding response that I

didn't
unsubscribe. This being my first foray into aftermarket car audio, I'm
still learning what the right questions are. But I'm quite familiar

with
how things go with online discussions, so I put the other responses in

that
perspective.

m...

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

From what i see here, it's an ongoing problem for you and not just a moment.

In article , "Lou"
wrote:
Dipshot moment versus asshole life? I think I'll stick with my lot.

Any Soundfont tool that will do this? Doc Pro Audio 2 January 26th 07 06:56 AM
Callibration tool DL Pro Audio 5 September 7th 06 08:18 AM
Defragmentation tool for PC Sune Pro Audio 45 January 2nd 06 02:10 PM
DIN Removal Tool In, but Won't Come Out Vestax05pro Car Audio 1 January 6th 05 08:15 PM
WTB: ADC Impact tool Rob Reedijk Pro Audio 0 September 29th 04 01:21 PM