Ritz

Default MIT Oracle cables...what's in the box?

I have 4 different friends running the Oracle cables and I can't help
but wonder what's in the little box just before the ends?

I've always bi-wired my speakers with Canare 4S11. When I swapped my
cables in to 2 different systems to replace the MIT Oracles, I couldn't
discern any difference. Of course, the owner in each case said the MIT
cables were "more revealing." 8-)

Anyone know what's in the little box?

Cheers,

"I have 4 different friends running the Oracle cables and I can't help
but wonder what's in the little box just before the ends?

I've always bi-wired my speakers with Canare 4S11. When I swapped my
cables in to 2 different systems to replace the MIT Oracles, I couldn't
discern any difference. Of course, the owner in each case said the MIT
cables were "more revealing." 8-)

Anyone know what's in the little box?"

A frequency shaping network, it is said if I recall correctly reading
someone who took one apart. Because it is impossible to hear wire
difference, one can introduce deliberate difference by changing
frequency,ie. a very expensive tone control. Now hearing a difference and
having the emotional and cash investment in them, zippo, bango all manner
of improvement one can not but behold.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 19 Jul 2005 00:50:03 GMT, Ritz wrote:

I have 4 different friends running the Oracle cables and I can't help
but wonder what's in the little box just before the ends?

I've always bi-wired my speakers with Canare 4S11. When I swapped my
cables in to 2 different systems to replace the MIT Oracles, I couldn't
discern any difference. Of course, the owner in each case said the MIT
cables were "more revealing." 8-)

Anyone know what's in the little box?

A couple of 50 cent resistors and capacitors, and about a gallon of
priceless snake oil....................

TonyP

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On 19 Jul 2005 00:50:03 GMT, Ritz wrote:

I have 4 different friends running the Oracle cables and I can't help
but wonder what's in the little box just before the ends?

I've always bi-wired my speakers with Canare 4S11. When I swapped my
cables in to 2 different systems to replace the MIT Oracles, I couldn't
discern any difference. Of course, the owner in each case said the MIT
cables were "more revealing." 8-)

Anyone know what's in the little box?

A couple of 50 cent resistors and capacitors, and about a gallon of
priceless snake oil....................

I think that there is a bit more than that in those shipping crates.
They look well made and certainly have the "geez... look at those jumper
cables hooked up to the speakers" effect. Although I have never heard
them, I have heard some of the other MIT "boxed" stuff. I really would
have a tough time telling you which speaker cable was which in a sighted
listening test. I have had the MIT, Vampire, AudioQuest, Monster, Polk
and Home Depot hooked up to my equipment. I would not bet any money on
telling them apart. I am using AudioQuest Indigo II shotgunned right now
for my Von Schweikert VR4's. Why? Because I have enough to make the runs
and I got it dirt cheap. No other "sonic" reason. Oh, and they look
drab and dull. No "wow" visual factor.
Gene Poon

TonyP wrote:
I have 4 different friends running the Oracle cables and I can't help
but wonder what's in the little box just before the ends?

I've always bi-wired my speakers with Canare 4S11. When I swapped my
cables in to 2 different systems to replace the MIT Oracles, I
couldn't discern any difference. Of course, the owner in each case
said the MIT cables were "more revealing." 8-)

Anyone know what's in the little box?

A couple of 50 cent resistors and capacitors, and about a gallon of
priceless snake oil....................

I think that there is a bit more than that in those shipping crates...

====================================

No, there isn't. And even "fifty-cent" is pushing it.

The Hacksaw Test doesn't lie.

-GP

Chung

Gene Poon wrote:
TonyP wrote:
I have 4 different friends running the Oracle cables and I can't help
but wonder what's in the little box just before the ends?

I've always bi-wired my speakers with Canare 4S11. When I swapped my
cables in to 2 different systems to replace the MIT Oracles, I
couldn't discern any difference. Of course, the owner in each case
said the MIT cables were "more revealing." 8-)

Anyone know what's in the little box?

A couple of 50 cent resistors and capacitors, and about a gallon of
priceless snake oil....................

I think that there is a bit more than that in those shipping crates...

====================================

No, there isn't. And even "fifty-cent" is pushing it.

The Hacksaw Test doesn't lie.

-GP

Does anyone have a schematic of what's in the box?
Ritz

Chung wrote:

====================================

No, there isn't. And even "fifty-cent" is pushing it.

The Hacksaw Test doesn't lie.

-GP

Does anyone have a schematic of what's in the box?

I would find that to be of extreme interest as well. I don't really
care to duplicate the design "on the cheap." I'm more interested in
showing my buddies who spent several grand on speaker cables how
absolutely silly that is. As I said in the original post, I wasn't able
to discern a difference betwen the Oracle V3 cables and my custom Canare
cables (4S11 w/cardas spades).

Best regards,

Ritz wrote:
I would find that to be of extreme interest as well. I don't really
care to duplicate the design "on the cheap." I'm more interested in
showing my buddies who spent several grand on speaker cables how
absolutely silly that is. As I said in the original post, I wasn't able
to discern a difference betwen the Oracle V3 cables and my custom Canare
cables (4S11 w/cardas spades).

Well, you might show them the pictures on this site:

http://cable.tcnerd.com/whymit.asp

....especially the box with nothing in it. (The cheapskates didn't even
spring for potting compound!) Tom Nousaine has reported opening a box
and finding a single resistor, installed in such a way as to have
almost no impact on the signal.

But I don't think you're going to convince people who've already
shelled out thousands that they're silly for doing so.

bob

Ritz wrote:
I would find that to be of extreme interest as well. I don't really
care to duplicate the design "on the cheap." I'm more interested in
showing my buddies who spent several grand on speaker cables how
absolutely silly that is. As I said in the original post, I wasn't able
to discern a difference betwen the Oracle V3 cables and my custom Canare
cables (4S11 w/cardas spades).

Well, you might show them the pictures on this site:

http://cable.tcnerd.com/whymit.asp

...especially the box with nothing in it. (The cheapskates didn't even
spring for potting compound!) Tom Nousaine has reported opening a box
and finding a single resistor, installed in such a way as to have
almost no impact on the signal.

This is the kind of stuff that skeptics should be doing. Bravo for
exposing a scam for what it is. 9,800 bucks for speaker cable? That
ought to raise an eyebrow or two even if the box is stuffed with
whatever. Considering what one can get in the way of speakers and
electronics for the same price megabuck cables are obviously, if
nothing else, ridiculously over priced. my god 9,800 bucks buys you
soooo much in audio. Maybe if they were all gold...

But I don't think you're going to convince people who've already
shelled out thousands that they're silly for doing so.

I'd feel outraged at the manufacturer if I shelled out 9,800 bucks for
an obvious scam. I'd feel pretty stupid too.

Scott Wheeler
Gene Poon

Chung wrote:
Gene Poon wrote:

TonyP wrote:

I have 4 different friends running the Oracle cables and I can't
help but wonder what's in the little box just before the ends?

I've always bi-wired my speakers with Canare 4S11. When I swapped
my cables in to 2 different systems to replace the MIT Oracles, I
couldn't discern any difference. Of course, the owner in each case
said the MIT cables were "more revealing." 8-)

Anyone know what's in the little box?

A couple of 50 cent resistors and capacitors, and about a gallon of
priceless snake oil....................

I think that there is a bit more than that in those shipping crates...

====================================

No, there isn't. And even "fifty-cent" is pushing it.

The Hacksaw Test doesn't lie.

-GP

Does anyone have a schematic of what's in the box?

=======================

The one in the Hacksaw Test had a single resistor of something like
100K, way, WAY above where it would make any difference at all,
and...surprise of surprises...one end of it wasn't connected to anything.

Others have reported finding nothing in the box at all.

Ritz wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, this is a rather expensive form of muckraking. In fact,
the more expensive the cable, the less likely anyone's going to open it
up. And skeptics tend not to have a lot of old, expensive cables lying
around.

But I don't think you're going to convince people who've already
shelled out thousands that they're silly for doing so.

I'd feel outraged at the manufacturer if I shelled out 9,800 bucks for
an obvious scam. I'd feel pretty stupid too.

Yeah, but the reason you'd feel that way is probably why you wouldn't
shell out $9,800 in the first place. People who do spend that kind of
money find it easy to convince themselves that they're paying for
"R&D," so the cost of the parts really doesn't matter.

bob
Gary Rosen

wrote in message
Ritz wrote:
I would find that to be of extreme interest as well. I don't really
care to duplicate the design "on the cheap." I'm more interested in
showing my buddies who spent several grand on speaker cables how
absolutely silly that is. As I said in the original post, I wasn't

able
to discern a difference betwen the Oracle V3 cables and my custom

Canare
cables (4S11 w/cardas spades).

Well, you might show them the pictures on this site:

http://cable.tcnerd.com/whymit.asp

...especially the box with nothing in it. (The cheapskates didn't even
spring for potting compound!) Tom Nousaine has reported opening a box
and finding a single resistor, installed in such a way as to have
almost no impact on the signal.

This is the kind of stuff that skeptics should be doing.

They've been doing it for years - and getting the same
disbelieving response from "audiophiles" who insist
that megabuck cables make a difference.

- Gary Rosen

Ron Stewart

I was at a Stereophile show in San Francisco several years ago and a
manufacturer was demoing expensive cables with a box at the end. They had an
analyzer set showing the frequency response of the cable and it appeared to
be a low-pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 6mhz. Very important for
people who can hear above 6mhz!!!

--
Ron Stewart
Santa Rosa, Calif.

chung wrote:
wrote:

I'd feel outraged at the manufacturer if I shelled out 9,800 bucks for
an obvious scam.

They let you return it within a certain time, didn't they?

They being this particular manufacturer? I don't know.

As a
subjectivist, you trusted your hearing, right?

As a subjectivist I make my decisions based on practical usage. yes i
do trust my ears.

It must have sounded good
to you for you to spend that kind of dough, correct?

Good? No, it would have to sound magnificent. It would have to be a
revelation.

You could have
compared it with Home Depot cables first, right? So why would you be
outraged at the manufacturer?

Because it is outright fraud.

Perhaps you should be outraged at the reviews? Or those experts who
endorse such products?

If I catch them in a lie I will be outraged.

I'd feel pretty stupid too.

If you have simply asked the objectivists about cables here, we would
have educated you...

No thanks. The objectivists reviewers have already failed me too many
times.

Assuming you listen to us, of course.

I did back in the day and suffered the consequences of inferior sound.
Julian Hirsch may have been a nice guy but taking him at his word was
one my biggest mistakes I ever as an audiophile. I was a bit outraged
at the time. It didn't cost me 9,800 bucks but the money I wasted was
meaningful. I was just starting out on my professional career. But I
wasn't quiet about being duped. I was quite vocal about it. I wasn't
shy about eating humble pie back in the day. It happened. I learned.

Scott Wheeler
Chung

chung wrote:
wrote:

I'd feel outraged at the manufacturer if I shelled out 9,800 bucks for
an obvious scam.

They let you return it within a certain time, didn't they?

They being this particular manufacturer? I don't know.

"They" also refers to the seller. You mean you might buy an expensive
cable with no return policy? Oh my...

As a
subjectivist, you trusted your hearing, right?

As a subjectivist I make my decisions based on practical usage. yes i
do trust my ears.

So you must have liked the sound of those cables before plucking down
those big bills, no? If you trust your ears, and they told you the cable
sounded good, what is the outrage about?

It must have sounded good
to you for you to spend that kind of dough, correct?

Good? No, it would have to sound magnificent. It would have to be a
revelation.

Reading reviews of cables, I often got the impression that the reviewer
had some revelations...

So those cables sounded magnificient to you for you to have spent that
kind of money. So what's the outrage about?

You could have
compared it with Home Depot cables first, right? So why would you be
outraged at the manufacturer?

Because it is outright fraud.

To play devil's advocate, how is it outright fraud? Did they say
anything about the construction of the cables or the box, or did the
cables not meet published specs? Didn't you like those cables enought to
buy them?

How is it any more fraud than, say, the Wavac amp that sells for $350K
that does not meet specs? Or the green CD pen? Or the Shatki stones?

And how is it any more fraudulent than cable companies writing white
papers on cable break-in, directivity, golden ratios, micro-diodes,
"articulation response", etc.? Are you equally outraged at those examples?

Perhaps you should be outraged at the reviews? Or those experts who
endorse such products?

If I catch them in a lie I will be outraged.

What exactly is the lie here? Did they say that the box has to have
certain components? Would you have been happier if the box actually
modifies the frequency response of the cable?

I'd feel pretty stupid too.

If you have simply asked the objectivists about cables here, we would
have educated you...

No thanks. The objectivists reviewers have already failed me too many
times.

Not sure if I can remember seeing any objectivist reviewing cables. In
fact, the objectivists here all seem to recommend generic 12-ga stuff
from R-S or Home Depot. And you are saying that the subjectivist reviews
don't fail you? I am pretty sure we can find a great review on that
Transparent cable...

Can you cite any example of an objectivist reviewer on rahe failing you?

Assuming you listen to us, of course.

I did back in the day and suffered the consequences of inferior sound.
Julian Hirsch may have been a nice guy but taking him at his word was
one my biggest mistakes I ever as an audiophile. I was a bit outraged
at the time. It didn't cost me 9,800 bucks but the money I wasted was
meaningful. I was just starting out on my professional career. But I
wasn't quiet about being duped. I was quite vocal about it. I wasn't
shy about eating humble pie back in the day. It happened. I learned.

So the subjectivists' reviews are more trustworthy? Also I did not
realize that Julian Hirsch gives advice here on rahe...

How much money did you waste by listening to Julian Hirsch? And are you
sure that you were not misunderstanding Julian Hirsch's word?

Scott Wheeler

Chung wrote:
wrote:

chung wrote:
wrote:

I'd feel outraged at the manufacturer if I shelled out 9,800 bucks for
an obvious scam.

They let you return it within a certain time, didn't they?

They being this particular manufacturer? I don't know.

"They" also refers to the seller.

OK. I wasn't sure who you were refering to. you know that old pronoun
without an established noun thing. That is why I asked.

You mean you might buy an expensive
cable with no return policy?

No. Never. What on earth gave you that idea?

Oh my...

Indeed.

As a
subjectivist, you trusted your hearing, right?

As a subjectivist I make my decisions based on practical usage. yes i
do trust my ears.

So you must have liked the sound of those cables before plucking down
those big bills, no?

So far, no. As of yet I have never plucked down that kind of bread on
cables.

If you trust your ears, and they told you the cable
sounded good, what is the outrage about?

That's a pretty big *if* there but the outrage, as I said before, is
over the blatent fraud.

It must have sounded good
to you for you to spend that kind of dough, correct?

Good? No, it would have to sound magnificent. It would have to be a
revelation.

Reading reviews of cables, I often got the impression that the reviewer
had some revelations...

They often buy expensive cables too dont they. I have yet to hear a
cable that i think is worth 9,800 bucks in terms of performance. I
doubt any of them can justify that kind of a price tag based on
materials, construction and cost of R&D. I don't know but I doubt it.

So those cables sounded magnificient to you for you to have spent that
kind of money.

Keep in mind this is a hypathetical. no such cable has sounded so
magnificent so far. I'm not holding my breath.

So what's the outrage about?

The fraud.

You could have
compared it with Home Depot cables first, right? So why would you be
outraged at the manufacturer?

Because it is outright fraud.

To play devil's advocate, how is it outright fraud? Did they say
anything about the construction of the cables or the box, or did the
cables not meet published specs?

They say a lot about the construction of what's in the box.
http://www.transparentcable.com/desi..._networks.html

Didn't you like those cables enought to
buy them?

I have never heard them. but if you are talking hypathetically.... OK
I'll bite, lets say I did. doesn't change the fact that this is fraud.
The buyer paid 9,800 for an empty box. Lets say for argument's sake the
cables actually did sound way better. They are still lying to
rationalize the price. If they said "hey we got this cable, it's
actually cheap to build and the box is empty but it sounds great and we
are charging you because we know how to make this cable and nobody else
does." I'd accept that. But they are blatently lying about what the
buyer is actually getting. fraud. plain and simple.

How is it any more fraud than, say, the Wavac amp that sells for $350K
that does not meet specs?

Glad you asked. I thought this would make a good counter-example since
it raised a lot of eyebrows on this forum. The Wavac doesn't have any
empty boxes. It is exactly what the manufacturer says it is. You may
not like the design, you may not think the design will make any audible
diffence. But the Wavac is exactly what it is claimed to be.
http://www.wavac-audio.jp/he833mk2_e.html. If you can find any lies
about what is in the package please point them out. Again, you may not
like them but there is no denying the expense that went into building
these puppies. I see no reason to think that a fair amount of listening
and tweaking went into the design proccess as well. That would be
legitimate R&D. I don't see any fraud here at all.

Or the green CD pen?

Are they not actually green pens?

Or the Shatki stones?

Are they not what the manufacturer claims they are? I don't know.
Despite all the fighting over Shatki stones, I really haven't looked
into them. I don't know what the manufacturer claims is in them. If
they are empty boxes I'd say they are probably frauds as well. But I
don't see the point of talking about Shatki stones until someone cuts
them open and finds they are not what the manufacturer claims them to
be.

And how is it any more fraudulent than cable companies writing white
papers on cable break-in, directivity, golden ratios, micro-diodes,
"articulation response", etc.? Are you equally outraged at those examples?

No, I'm not. I don't really know much about your claims on these
matters. I wasn't outraged by the Transparent Cables until I saw the
fraud exposed. Please don't expect me to make presumptions about
things. This was an excellent job of fraud being exposed. That's a good
thing isn't it?

Perhaps you should be outraged at the reviews? Or those experts who
endorse such products?

If I catch them in a lie I will be outraged.

What exactly is the lie here?

http://www.transparentcable.com/desi..._networks.html vs. an
empty box.

Did they say that the box has to have
certain components?

They clearly say that they have components! Clearly they don't. You can
read their claims and see if they match the contents of an empty box. I
say clearly they do not.

Would you have been happier if the box actually
modifies the frequency response of the cable?

I would be satisfied that no fraud was involved if the box contained
something that can reasonably be considered what they describe as being
in the box.

I'd feel pretty stupid too.

If you have simply asked the objectivists about cables here, we would
have educated you...

No thanks. The objectivists reviewers have already failed me too many
times.

Not sure if I can remember seeing any objectivist reviewing cables.

Not sure what this has to do with my statement.

In
fact, the objectivists here all seem to recommend generic 12-ga stuff
from R-S or Home Depot. And you are saying that the subjectivist reviews
don't fail you?

I suggest you reread what I said. I made no mention of subjectivist
reviewers. But to answer your question, no they have never failed me.
They have never asked me to take them at their word on their subjective
impressions. They have always asked me to listen for myself and i have
always done so. I have been quite happy with that advice. Only the
objectivist reviewers have failed me so far.

I am pretty sure we can find a great review on that
Transparent cable...

If you can find one that says don't bother with an audition, everything
the manufacturer says about their cables is true and they are worth
every penny you will inded find a review that fails the reader.

Can you cite any example of an objectivist reviewer on rahe failing you?

yes.

Assuming you listen to us, of course.

I did back in the day and suffered the consequences of inferior sound.
Julian Hirsch may have been a nice guy but taking him at his word was
one my biggest mistakes I ever as an audiophile. I was a bit outraged
at the time. It didn't cost me 9,800 bucks but the money I wasted was
meaningful. I was just starting out on my professional career. But I
wasn't quiet about being duped. I was quite vocal about it. I wasn't
shy about eating humble pie back in the day. It happened. I learned.

So the subjectivists' reviews are more trustworthy?

I don't think they were lying. Those reviews were also followed with
the recomendation that listeners audtion all things for themselves.
Julian Hirsch suggested *not* auditioning certain things including a
crapy 14 CD player.

Also I did not
realize that Julian Hirsch gives advice here on rahe...

I did not realize one had to give advice on RAHE to be of the same mind
set.

How much money did you waste by listening to Julian Hirsch?

About 1,000 bucks.

And are you
sure that you were not misunderstanding Julian Hirsch's word?

I'm pretty sure.

Scott Wheeler
Stephen Roehrig

--On Saturday, July 23, 2005 5:12 PM +0000 wrote:

Ritz wrote:
I would find that to be of extreme interest as well. I don't really
care to duplicate the design "on the cheap." I'm more interested in
showing my buddies who spent several grand on speaker cables how
absolutely silly that is. As I said in the original post, I wasn't able
to discern a difference betwen the Oracle V3 cables and my custom Canare
cables (4S11 w/cardas spades).

Well, you might show them the pictures on this site:

http://cable.tcnerd.com/whymit.asp

...especially the box with nothing in it. (The cheapskates didn't even
spring for potting compound!) Tom Nousaine has reported opening a box
and finding a single resistor, installed in such a way as to have
almost no impact on the signal.

But I don't think you're going to convince people who've already
shelled out thousands that they're silly for doing so.

bob

The Transparent Cable Web site shows Roxanne carefully building an
interconnect, and says that each length of cable "...has its own particular
design spec for the networks." Could it be that the "particular design
spec" of the cable whose box was opened (discovering nothing inside)
actually specified *nothing* as the optimal design? Maybe if the cable were
6 inches longer, the box would have been chock full of exotic space-age
components?

Perhaps the algorithm for the "design spec" has nulls at cable lengths of 1
meter, 2 meters, 3 meters, etc, and to get a box with stuff in it, you need
to specify a length of 3.14159 meters?

Steve
Chung

[Moderator's note: I accidentally allowed the previous post thru with
the word "lying" in it, which is against the guidelines. Please do not
use it again in any followups. -- deb ]

wrote:

Chung wrote:
wrote:

chung wrote:
wrote:

I'd feel outraged at the manufacturer if I shelled out 9,800 bucks for
an obvious scam.

They let you return it within a certain time, didn't they?

They being this particular manufacturer? I don't know.

"They" also refers to the seller.

OK. I wasn't sure who you were refering to. you know that old pronoun
without an established noun thing. That is why I asked.

You mean you might buy an expensive
cable with no return policy?

No. Never. What on earth gave you that idea?

Because you said you did not know whether you can return them.

Oh my...

Indeed.

So we can agree that there is a return policy and you could have
returned the cables if you did not like them, correct?

As a
subjectivist, you trusted your hearing, right?

As a subjectivist I make my decisions based on practical usage. yes i
do trust my ears.

So you must have liked the sound of those cables before plucking down
those big bills, no?

So far, no. As of yet I have never plucked down that kind of bread on
cables.

Of course, we are discussing the hypothetical case that you bought those
cables and were somehow outraged.

If you trust your ears, and they told you the cable
sounded good, what is the outrage about?

That's a pretty big *if* there but the outrage, as I said before, is
over the blatent fraud.

So we are arguing if there is blatant fraud. Let's see if we could
establish fraud. But we have established that the cables did sound good
to you.

It must have sounded good
to you for you to spend that kind of dough, correct?

Good? No, it would have to sound magnificent. It would have to be a
revelation.

Reading reviews of cables, I often got the impression that the reviewer
had some revelations...

They often buy expensive cables too dont they. I have yet to hear a
cable that i think is worth 9,800 bucks in terms of performance. I
doubt any of them can justify that kind of a price tag based on
materials, construction and cost of R&D. I don't know but I doubt it.

We are staying with the hypothetical case here, of course.

So those cables sounded magnificient to you for you to have spent that
kind of money.

Keep in mind this is a hypathetical. no such cable has sounded so
magnificent so far. I'm not holding my breath.

So what's the outrage about?

The fraud.

Let's see if you can establish that there is fraud, shall we?

You could have
compared it with Home Depot cables first, right? So why would you be
outraged at the manufacturer?

Because it is outright fraud.

To play devil's advocate, how is it outright fraud? Did they say
anything about the construction of the cables or the box, or did the
cables not meet published specs?

They say a lot about the construction of what's in the box.
http://www.transparentcable.com/desi..._networks.html

Pay attention now. There is stuff in the "Network Box". There is an
inductor encased in epoxy. Did Transparent Cable specify that there have
to be some other components? Did Transparent Cable say anything about
the little enclosures at the ends of the cable? There is a RC netork in
one of those enclosures, too.

All they are saying is that there is a network in the cable. And there
is the "Network Box" with a component inside. In fact, the network could
have been be an empty box, if they believe the material of the box can
affect performance of the cable, or if the box somehow adjusts the
electrical length of the cable. But they are shipping a legitimate box
with a component inside.

Didn't you like those cables enought to
buy them?

I have never heard them. but if you are talking hypathetically.... OK
I'll bite, lets say I did. doesn't change the fact that this is fraud.
The buyer paid 9,800 for an empty box.

You clearly have not read carefully the link that described what is in
those boxes. There is a network made up of components inside the
"Network Box" and one of the end enclosures.

Lets say for argument's sake the
cables actually did sound way better. They are still lying to
rationalize the price. If they said "hey we got this cable, it's
actually cheap to build and the box is empty but it sounds great and we
are charging you because we know how to make this cable and nobody else
does." I'd accept that. But they are blatently lying about what the
buyer is actually getting. fraud. plain and simple.

You clearly do not understand what Transparent is shipping. You want to
withdraw your fraudulent claim now?

Where exactly is the lie? Why would they tell you that the cable is
cheap to build? Of course, they want you to believe that the R&D is what
makes the cables so expensive. And, hey, they are built by "artisans who
take great pride in their work"!

How is it any more fraud than, say, the Wavac amp that sells for $350K
that does not meet specs?

Glad you asked. I thought this would make a good counter-example since
it raised a lot of eyebrows on this forum. The Wavac doesn't have any
empty boxes. It is exactly what the manufacturer says it is. You may
not like the design, you may not think the design will make any audible
diffence. But the Wavac is exactly what it is claimed to be.
http://www.wavac-audio.jp/he833mk2_e.html. If you can find any lies
about what is in the package please point them out. Again, you may not
like them but there is no denying the expense that went into building
these puppies. I see no reason to think that a fair amount of listening
and tweaking went into the design proccess as well. That would be
legitimate R&D. I don't see any fraud here at all.

So given your position, why is the Transparent cable a fraud? It meets
all of the manufacturer's specs!

OTOH, the Wavac does not meet its specs. It does not do what the
manufacturer says that it will do. If you think that Transparent is
fraudulent, isn't Wavac even more fraudulent?

Or the green CD pen?

Are they not actually green pens?

Are the Transparent cables not cables?

Or the Shatki stones?

Are they not what the manufacturer claims they are?

Is the Transparent cable not what the manufacturer claims it is?

I don't know.
Despite all the fighting over Shatki stones, I really haven't looked
into them. I don't know what the manufacturer claims is in them. If
they are empty boxes I'd say they are probably frauds as well. But I
don't see the point of talking about Shatki stones until someone cuts
them open and finds they are not what the manufacturer claims them to
be.

Someone cut the Transparent cable, and it is what the manufacturer
claims it is.

And how is it any more fraudulent than cable companies writing white
papers on cable break-in, directivity, golden ratios, micro-diodes,
"articulation response", etc.? Are you equally outraged at those examples?

No, I'm not. I don't really know much about your claims on these
matters. I wasn't outraged by the Transparent Cables until I saw the
fraud exposed. Please don't expect me to make presumptions about
things. This was an excellent job of fraud being exposed. That's a good
thing isn't it?

How good it is depends on your perspective. For me, clearly there is no
box that can improve the performance of the cable, so I know that it is
pure marketing BS. But for subjectivists believing in cable sound, it is
a good thing I guess. Unless they have bought that cable.

Perhaps you should be outraged at the reviews? Or those experts who
endorse such products?

If I catch them in a lie I will be outraged.

What exactly is the lie here?

http://www.transparentcable.com/desi..._networks.html vs. an
empty box.

Did they say that the box has to have
certain components?

They clearly say that they have components! Clearly they don't. You can
read their claims and see if they match the contents of an empty box. I
say clearly they do not.

Would you have been happier if the box actually
modifies the frequency response of the cable?

I would be satisfied that no fraud was involved if the box contained
something that can reasonably be considered what they describe as being
in the box.

Even if the box is empty, it can be easily argued that it is the
material of the box or the carefully adjustment of the cables inside the
box that lead to superior performance. That certainly does not sound any
more outrageous than cables having directivity or needing break-in.

I'd feel pretty stupid too.

If you have simply asked the objectivists about cables here, we would
have educated you...

No thanks. The objectivists reviewers have already failed me too many
times.

Not sure if I can remember seeing any objectivist reviewing cables.

Not sure what this has to do with my statement.

You were responding to the point I made, which is that if you have
simply asked the objectivists here about cables, we would have educated
you. You said that the objectivists have failed you, so of course I want
to find out when have objectivists failed you in cable reviews.

In
fact, the objectivists here all seem to recommend generic 12-ga stuff
from R-S or Home Depot. And you are saying that the subjectivist reviews
don't fail you?

I suggest you reread what I said. I made no mention of subjectivist
reviewers.

But you clearly were making a distinction between objectivist reviews
and other reviews. You said objectivists reviews failed you many times.
The implication is that subjectivist reviews don't fail you as much.

But to answer your question, no they have never failed me.
They have never asked me to take them at their word on their subjective
impressions. They have always asked me to listen for myself and i have
always done so. I have been quite happy with that advice. Only the
objectivist reviewers have failed me so far.

Did the objectivists tell you to take them on their words and buy stuff
they told you to buy? I thought they always tell you to listen
carefully, and that you can buy whatever you want.

I am pretty sure we can find a great review on that
Transparent cable...

If you can find one that says don't bother with an audition, everything
the manufacturer says about their cables is true and they are worth
every penny you will inded find a review that fails the reader.

That's neither here nor there. The point I am making is that it is the
subjectivists who will review the Transparent cable highly. The
objectivist will never tell you to buy such cables.

Can you cite any example of an objectivist reviewer on rahe failing you?

yes.

Please show it. And please show how the objectivist on rahe told you to
simply take his word and buy what he recommends. And that the
obvjectivist recommended something that he does not believe in.

Assuming you listen to us, of course.

I did back in the day and suffered the consequences of inferior sound.
Julian Hirsch may have been a nice guy but taking him at his word was
one my biggest mistakes I ever as an audiophile. I was a bit outraged
at the time. It didn't cost me 9,800 bucks but the money I wasted was
meaningful. I was just starting out on my professional career. But I
wasn't quiet about being duped. I was quite vocal about it. I wasn't
shy about eating humble pie back in the day. It happened. I learned.

So the subjectivists' reviews are more trustworthy?

I don't think they were lying.

Are you saying then the objectivists are lying? That's a pretty serious
charge.

Those reviews were also followed with
the recomendation that listeners audtion all things for themselves.
Julian Hirsch suggested *not* auditioning certain things including a
crapy 14 CD player.

Pay attention to the word "suggested". It was simply a suggestion. What
is "a crappy 14 CD player"?

Also I did not
realize that Julian Hirsch gives advice here on rahe...

I did not realize one had to give advice on RAHE to be of the same mind
set.

You were responding to the point I made that the objectivist here on
rahe can educate you. And I am not even sure if Julian Hirsch is an
objectivist.

How much money did you waste by listening to Julian Hirsch?

About 1,000 bucks.

You mean you did not like what he recommended you to buy. Well, did
Hirsch say that you had to like it? So you bought a "$1K crappy 14 CD
player" based on his recommendation? Did that player sound crappy to
everyone? Did it not meet specs?

And are you
sure that you were not misunderstanding Julian Hirsch's word?

I'm pretty sure.

I am sure that you were misunderstanding him.

Scott Wheeler

Gene Poon

Stephen Roehrig wrote:

full of exotic space-age components?

Perhaps the algorithm for the "design spec" has nulls at cable lengths
of 1 meter, 2 meters, 3 meters, etc, and to get a box with stuff in it,
you need to specify a length of 3.14159 meters?

That's Pi-in-the-sky optimism. G

And perhaps I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.

One of those super-duper cable manufacturers, who will make a set of
interconnects to order if you want a special length, shipped one that
was shorted on one channel, billing several hundred dollars for it.
Looking at it, we found that a setscrew which is supposed to secure the
cable to the barrel of the RCA plug had been driven in too far, piercing
the outer jacket, through the shield and through the inner dielectric to
the centre conductor. Several hundred dollars ruined, by a two-cent
setscrew?

Of course, you know, it must be all those high-priced ASSEMBLERS making
a couple of dozen dollars a MINUTE that are responsible high priced
cables being worth what you pay for them. We did have to admit that
installing that particular interconnect in the system made a drastic and
unsubtle subjective difference to the sound, as well as an objectively
measured one.

[Moderator's note: I think this subthread has been thoroughly beaten
to death, so it is ended. -- deb ]

wrote:

Chung wrote:
wrote:

chung wrote:
wrote:

I'd feel outraged at the manufacturer if I shelled out 9,800 bucks for
an obvious scam.

They let you return it within a certain time, didn't they?

They being this particular manufacturer? I don't know.

"They" also refers to the seller.

OK. I wasn't sure who you were refering to. you know that old pronoun
without an established noun thing. That is why I asked.

You mean you might buy an expensive
cable with no return policy?

No. Never. What on earth gave you that idea?

Because you said you did not know whether you can return them.

I don't know. This is not a hypothetical. This is an actual product
with policies in place. I don't know what they are. But i never bought
this cable in real life. I would certainly find out the relevant
information on returns bfore putting any money on the table.

Oh my...

Indeed.

So we can agree that there is a return policy and you could have
returned the cables if you did not like them, correct?

No, we cannot agree on that until we have the facts. This is not a
hypothetical. There are policies I just don't know them.

As a
subjectivist, you trusted your hearing, right?

As a subjectivist I make my decisions based on practical usage. yes i
do trust my ears.

So you must have liked the sound of those cables before plucking down
those big bills, no?

So far, no. As of yet I have never plucked down that kind of bread on
cables.

Of course, we are discussing the hypothetical case that you bought those
cables and were somehow outraged.

If you trust your ears, and they told you the cable
sounded good, what is the outrage about?

That's a pretty big *if* there but the outrage, as I said before, is
over the blatent fraud.

So we are arguing if there is blatant fraud.

For me, that is the big issue here.

Let's see if we could
establish fraud.

Here is an online dictionary defintion. I agree with it. let's see if
you do as well.
fraud
(noun) 1 a : DECEIT , TRICKERY ; specifically : intentional perversion
of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or
to surrender a legal right; b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting
: TRICK ; 2 a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be :
IMPOSTOR ; also : one who defrauds : CHEAT ; b : one that is not what
it seems or is represented to be

But we have established that the cables did sound good
to you.

Hypothetically, yes.

It must have sounded good
to you for you to spend that kind of dough, correct?

Good? No, it would have to sound magnificent. It would have to be a
revelation.

Reading reviews of cables, I often got the impression that the reviewer
had some revelations...

They often buy expensive cables too dont they. I have yet to hear a
cable that i think is worth 9,800 bucks in terms of performance. I
doubt any of them can justify that kind of a price tag based on
materials, construction and cost of R&D. I don't know but I doubt it.

We are staying with the hypothetical case here, of course.

But there is nothing hypothetical about the claim that some reviewers
rave about some cables. I agree with your claim but IME some of them
have laid there money down on those claims. I have not gone to the
extreme of buying a cable for 9,800 bucks and I am hard pressed to
believe any cable is worth it in either terms of performance or cost of
development and manufacturing.

So those cables sounded magnificient to you for you to have spent that
kind of money.

Keep in mind this is a hypathetical. no such cable has sounded so
magnificent so far. I'm not holding my breath.

So what's the outrage about?

The fraud.

Let's see if you can establish that there is fraud, shall we?

I believe I have. If you find any flaws in my argument please point
them out.

You could have
compared it with Home Depot cables first, right? So why would you be
outraged at the manufacturer?

Because it is outright fraud.

To play devil's advocate, how is it outright fraud? Did they say
anything about the construction of the cables or the box, or did the
cables not meet published specs?

They say a lot about the construction of what's in the box.
http://www.transparentcable.com/desi..._networks.html

Pay attention now. There is stuff in the "Network Box". There is an
inductor encased in epoxy. Did Transparent Cable specify that there have
to be some other components?

IMO yes by simply calling it a network. Here is adictionary definition
that i believe is relevant.
network[1]
(noun) 1 : a fabric or structure of cords or wires that cross at
regular intervals and are knotted or secured at the crossings; 2 : a
system of lines or channels resembling a network; 3 a : an
interconnected or interrelated chain, group, or system a network of
hotels; b : a system of computers, terminals, and databases connected
by communications lines; 4 a : a group of radio or television stations
linked by wire or radio relay; b : a radio or television company that
produces programs for broadcast over such a network

Did Transparent Cable say anything about
the little enclosures at the ends of the cable? There is a RC netork in
one of those enclosures, too.

We are talking about one box that they specify as a netwrok box that is
in fact empty.

All they are saying is that there is a network in the cable. And there
is the "Network Box" with a component inside.

So you think they are playing games. I think they are failing at those
games. They talk about networks as opposed to regular lengths of cable
and they show pictures of the network box above and below where they
talk about these networks. IMO it is fraud.

In fact, the network could
have been be an empty box, if they believe the material of the box can
affect performance of the cable, or if the box somehow adjusts the
electrical length of the cable.

I don't agree with you. I doubt anyone woul agree with that if it were
ever taken to court. Once upon a time Taco Bell came out with a product
called Taco light. it actually had moe calories than their regular
taco. they argued that they called it taco light because the torilla
was a lighter color. Same sort of trickery no? Taco Bell was forced to
change the name of their Taco light.

But they are shipping a legitimate box
with a component inside.

No, the box was empty except for the cable running through it.

Didn't you like those cables enought to
buy them?

I have never heard them. but if you are talking hypathetically.... OK
I'll bite, lets say I did. doesn't change the fact that this is fraud.
The buyer paid 9,800 for an empty box.

You clearly have not read carefully the link that described what is in
those boxes. There is a network made up of components inside the
"Network Box" and one of the end enclosures.

I have read it carefully. i don't think it stands up to the claims. I
think your arguments would have about as much validity as did Taco
Bell's on their taco light.

Lets say for argument's sake the
cables actually did sound way better. They are still lying to
rationalize the price. If they said "hey we got this cable, it's
actually cheap to build and the box is empty but it sounds great and we
are charging you because we know how to make this cable and nobody else
does." I'd accept that. But they are blatently lying about what the
buyer is actually getting. fraud. plain and simple.

You clearly do not understand what Transparent is shipping. You want to
withdraw your fraudulent claim now?

I do understand and no I do not want to withdraw my claim.

Where exactly is the lie?

I have already answered that question. pretty soon you may have to
srtart arguing about what *is* is to play devil's advocate. I don't
think it would hold up if presented to a reasonable arbitrator. I think
one would agree with my claim.

Why would they tell you that the cable is
cheap to build? Of course, they want you to believe that the R&D is what
makes the cables so expensive.

Why do you no see the distintion betwen what frauds want me to believe
and what is true? C'mon.

And, hey, they are built by "artisans who
take great pride in their work"!

OK that was funny.

[...]

I have answered this question more than once. What they claim is in the
package is not actually in the package.

OTOH, the Wavac does not meet its specs.

Yes it does.

It does not do what the
manufacturer says that it will do.

Yes it does.

If you think that Transparent is
fraudulent, isn't Wavac even more fraudulent?

Not even close.

Or the green CD pen?

Are they not actually green pens?

Are the Transparent cables not cables?

Is that all they are claiming them to be? No it isn't.

Or the Shatki stones?

Are they not what the manufacturer claims they are?

Is the Transparent cable not what the manufacturer claims it is?

Nope. clearly not.

I don't know.
Despite all the fighting over Shatki stones, I really haven't looked
into them. I don't know what the manufacturer claims is in them. If
they are empty boxes I'd say they are probably frauds as well. But I
don't see the point of talking about Shatki stones until someone cuts
them open and finds they are not what the manufacturer claims them to
be.

Someone cut the Transparent cable, and it is what the manufacturer
claims it is.

If you think an empty box meets the definition of a network as I posted
it.... I don't think you will find many people who would agree with
that.

[...]

I did. My claims stand.

Did they say that the box has to have
certain components?

They clearly say that they have components! Clearly they don't. You can
read their claims and see if they match the contents of an empty box. I
say clearly they do not.

Would you have been happier if the box actually
modifies the frequency response of the cable?

I would be satisfied that no fraud was involved if the box contained
something that can reasonably be considered what they describe as being
in the box.

Even if the box is empty, it can be easily argued that it is the
material of the box or the carefully adjustment of the cables inside the
box that lead to superior performance. That certainly does not sound any
more outrageous than cables having directivity or needing break-in.

Yes and taco Bell easliy argued that their taco light was in fact
lighter in color. They still had to change the name. Know why?

I'd feel pretty stupid too.

If you have simply asked the objectivists about cables here, we would
have educated you...

No thanks. The objectivists reviewers have already failed me too many
times.

Not sure if I can remember seeing any objectivist reviewing cables.

Not sure what this has to do with my statement.

You were responding to the point I made, which is that if you have
simply asked the objectivists here about cables, we would have educated
you. You said that the objectivists have failed you, so of course I want
to find out when have objectivists failed you in cable reviews.

I don't recall the topic of failure by objectivists being limited to
cables.

In
fact, the objectivists here all seem to recommend generic 12-ga stuff
from R-S or Home Depot. And you are saying that the subjectivist reviews
don't fail you?

I suggest you reread what I said. I made no mention of subjectivist
reviewers.

But you clearly were making a distinction between objectivist reviews
and other reviews. You said objectivists reviews failed you many times.

I said they have failed me. i don't think i said many times.

The implication is that subjectivist reviews don't fail you as much.

OK.

But to answer your question, no they have never failed me.
They have never asked me to take them at their word on their subjective
impressions. They have always asked me to listen for myself and i have
always done so. I have been quite happy with that advice. Only the
objectivist reviewers have failed me so far.

Did the objectivists tell you to take them on their words and buy stuff
they told you to buy?

Yes.

I thought they always tell you to listen
carefully, and that you can buy whatever you want.

That's what the *subjectivist reviewers* said.

I am pretty sure we can find a great review on that
Transparent cable...

If you can find one that says don't bother with an audition, everything
the manufacturer says about their cables is true and they are worth
every penny you will inded find a review that fails the reader.

That's neither here nor there. The point I am making is that it is the
subjectivists who will review the Transparent cable highly. The
objectivist will never tell you to buy such cables.

Neither will the subjectivists. But the objectivists will tell me to
buy things that I already found dissatisfying. there in lies the
faliure of some subjectivist reviewers.

Can you cite any example of an objectivist reviewer on rahe failing you?

yes.

Please show it. And please show how the objectivist on rahe told you to
simply take his word and buy what he recommends.

Again, you are placing this artificial limit to RAHE objectivists. My
claim was not limited to that.

And that the
obvjectivist recommended something that he does not believe in.

Is that a claim or a question?

Assuming you listen to us, of course.

I did back in the day and suffered the consequences of inferior sound.
Julian Hirsch may have been a nice guy but taking him at his word was
one my biggest mistakes I ever as an audiophile. I was a bit outraged
at the time. It didn't cost me 9,800 bucks but the money I wasted was
meaningful. I was just starting out on my professional career. But I
wasn't quiet about being duped. I was quite vocal about it. I wasn't
shy about eating humble pie back in the day. It happened. I learned.

So the subjectivists' reviews are more trustworthy?

I don't think they were lying.

Are you saying then the objectivists are lying? That's a pretty serious
charge.

It's pretty wild leap too.

Those reviews were also followed with
the recomendation that listeners audtion all things for themselves.
Julian Hirsch suggested *not* auditioning certain things including a
crapy 14 CD player.

Pay attention to the word "suggested". It was simply a suggestion.

No, I read it. It was a dogmatic claim. I call it a suggestion to be
nice.

What
is "a crappy 14 CD player"?

I left out the word bit.

Also I did not
realize that Julian Hirsch gives advice here on rahe...

I did not realize one had to give advice on RAHE to be of the same mind
set.

You were responding to the point I made that the objectivist here on
rahe can educate you. And I am not even sure if Julian Hirsch is an
objectivist.

How much money did you waste by listening to Julian Hirsch?

About 1,000 bucks.

You mean you did not like what he recommended you to buy.

Correct.

Well, did
Hirsch say that you had to like it? So you bought a "$1K crappy 14 CD
player" based on his recommendation? Did that player sound crappy to
everyone?

Does it matter?

Did it not meet specs?

Does it matter?

And are you
sure that you were not misunderstanding Julian Hirsch's word?

I'm pretty sure.

I am sure that you were misunderstanding him.

You have been sure about a lot of things and turned out to be wrong.

Scott Wheeler