Mark Zarella

Default More incompetence - Custom Cars in Syracuse

After dropping my car off at Custom Cars in Syracuse for a simple
speaker installation (that they didn't know how to do, by the way), they
decided to sit one of the speakers on the other cone-to-cone. In the
process, they managed to completely crush the surround on the brand-new
speaker. These are not cheap speakers, mind you.

Someone please explain to me how half-assed outfits like Custom Cars can
stay in business?

Unfortunately, 99% of the shops out there are filled with half-wit
install monkeys. As a consumer, it's incredibly frustrating. Many in
here criticize places like Best Buy and Circuit City, but they're no
worse and at least they're accountable for their actions. They actually
care about their reputation.

Why has this industry gone down the tubes the way it has?

Paul Vina

What kind of speakers were they? The only speakers I've seen that would be
damaged by something like that would be IDMAX subs because the surround is
so tall.
That's why I do as much work on my car as I possibly can. Luckily I have
the training to do so. If I didn't I may not ever upgrade anything.

Paul Vina

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
After dropping my car off at Custom Cars in Syracuse for a simple
speaker installation (that they didn't know how to do, by the way), they
decided to sit one of the speakers on the other cone-to-cone. In the
process, they managed to completely crush the surround on the brand-new
speaker. These are not cheap speakers, mind you.

Someone please explain to me how half-assed outfits like Custom Cars can
stay in business?

Unfortunately, 99% of the shops out there are filled with half-wit
install monkeys. As a consumer, it's incredibly frustrating. Many in
here criticize places like Best Buy and Circuit City, but they're no
worse and at least they're accountable for their actions. They actually
care about their reputation.

Why has this industry gone down the tubes the way it has?

Mark Zarella

Here are some pictures...

Both speakers:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00258.jpg

Bad one:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00259.jpg

Good one:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00260.jpg

Eddie Runner

They got your money!! thats how!!

Mark Zarella wrote:

Someone please explain to me how half-assed outfits like Custom Cars can
stay in business?

Mark Zarella

What kind of speakers were they? The only speakers I've seen that would be
damaged by something like that would be IDMAX subs because the surround is
so tall.

These are Morels. The surround is taller than the mounting flange.

Mark Zarella

Eddie Runner wrote:
They got your money!! thats how!!

They didn't get mine. They said they couldn't do the job.

Pug Fugley

Dang, looks like they managed to make the cone shift..looks like more than
putting them face to face.

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
Here are some pictures...

Both speakers:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00258.jpg

Bad one:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00259.jpg

Good one:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00260.jpg

sanitarium

IMHO theres no such thing as a good install shop, DIY all the way for
me. nuff' said. Only 2 shops Id ever even consider taking my car
to... speakerworks or Paradyme.
HUH??? Why didnt the other speaker sink in just the same if they were
cone to cone?
I hope they're willing to pay for a new speaker... that sucks. Those
are some stellar mids IMHO... looking for a pair to compliment my image
dynamics HLCDs.

IMHO none of them really care about their reputation, all they care
about is getting your $$$.

One of my old kicker M-10s did that once but thats after a year of
sitting in the garage with a big bag of aquarium gravel on it. I fixed
it with a pencil, drop the eraser end into the pole piece vent and
gently push the cone outward. duct tape the pencil to the magnet so the
cone is in neutral position and let it sit there till it relaxes back to
neutral. The M-10 is good as new, being used in my garage system. My
brother had a very expensive polk 6.5 mid and fixed it this way some 10
years ago as well.

Good Luck,
Garrett

Mark Zarella wrote:

After dropping my car off at Custom Cars in Syracuse for a simple
speaker installation (that they didn't know how to do, by the way),
they decided to sit one of the speakers on the other cone-to-cone. In
the process, they managed to completely crush the surround on the
brand-new speaker. These are not cheap speakers, mind you.

Someone please explain to me how half-assed outfits like Custom Cars
can stay in business?

Unfortunately, 99% of the shops out there are filled with half-wit
install monkeys. As a consumer, it's incredibly frustrating. Many in
here criticize places like Best Buy and Circuit City, but they're no
worse and at least they're accountable for their actions. They
actually care about their reputation.

Why has this industry gone down the tubes the way it has?

Peter

That's why I do as much work on my car as I possibly can. Luckily I have
the training to do so. If I didn't I may not ever upgrade anything.

I've changed speakers & HUs without any training Then again, I'm no
audiophile and wouldn't attempt anything beyound that

Peter

DJ TecThreat

Wow, i have an identical set of these in my garage! I didnt know they were
worth anything, they sound good... but they never really crossed my mind as
being even mid-end..

Mine are a bit dust, but no cone damage, theres also some rust on one of the
baskets but when i hooked them up to a headunit they worked great....

Now contemplating a new system, starting with the morel mids ;-)

DJ TecThreat
The Real Threat

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
Here are some pictures...

Both speakers:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00258.jpg

Bad one:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00259.jpg

Good one:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00260.jpg

Scott Johnson

i'd demand that they replace the damaged speaker for you.

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
.. .
Here are some pictures...

Both speakers:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00258.jpg

Bad one:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00259.jpg

Good one:
http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpages/dsc00260.jpg

Mark Zarella

i'd demand that they replace the damaged speaker for you.

No, because they'd say "screw you" and I'd end up putting my keys
through the cones on their display. It'd be ugly.

We'll see, I may go back there to see what they have to say.

Crooked

Mark, you're really inspiring me to open up a shop. It sounds like
there's nobody out there who can do a good job. I'd ask for some
money to replace that speaker. If I took my car to a shop and they
messed something up on my car I sure would be ****ed off.

Crooked