Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras Charles Tomaras is offline

Default RTF / Zappa Seattle FOH

On the off chance that the FOH mixer for the Return to Forever / Zappa plays
Zappa concert last night in Seattle sees this or someone shows it to him...

WHY SO LOUD?

Seriously, I like loud music but people around me were plugging their ears
during peak moments. It was excruciatingly loud...not just kind of loud.
From the lobby it actually sounded like a nice mix and I could clearly
discern what everyone was playing. But in the massively overpowered house it
was difficult to find any transparency in the wash of overdriven sound.
Guess that FOH position within the cone of silence under the balcony must be
about 20db quieter than the rest of the house?

Is there some reason a jazz fusion show needs to be as loud or louder than a
coliseum rock concert?

I saw a great $65 show...but an MP3 playing on my cell phone speaker would
have sounded far better.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Charles Tomaras wrote:

On the off chance that the FOH mixer for the Return to Forever / Zappa plays
Zappa concert last night in Seattle sees this or someone shows it to him...

WHY SO LOUD?

Seriously, I like loud music but people around me were plugging their ears
during peak moments. It was excruciatingly loud...not just kind of loud.
From the lobby it actually sounded like a nice mix and I could clearly
discern what everyone was playing. But in the massively overpowered house it
was difficult to find any transparency in the wash of overdriven sound.
Guess that FOH position within the cone of silence under the balcony must be
about 20db quieter than the rest of the house?

Is there some reason a jazz fusion show needs to be as loud or louder than a
coliseum rock concert?

I saw a great $65 show...but an MP3 playing on my cell phone speaker would
have sounded far better.

Charlie, if you expect that guy to hear your post, you're gonna have to
type LOUDER!

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Charles Tomaras wrote:

On the off chance that the FOH mixer for the Return to Forever / Zappa
plays
Zappa concert last night in Seattle sees this or someone shows it to
him...

WHY SO LOUD?

Seriously, I like loud music but people around me were plugging their
ears
during peak moments. It was excruciatingly loud...not just kind of loud.
From the lobby it actually sounded like a nice mix and I could clearly
discern what everyone was playing. But in the massively overpowered house
it
was difficult to find any transparency in the wash of overdriven sound.
Guess that FOH position within the cone of silence under the balcony must
be
about 20db quieter than the rest of the house?

Is there some reason a jazz fusion show needs to be as loud or louder
than a
coliseum rock concert?

I saw a great $65 show...but an MP3 playing on my cell phone speaker
would
have sounded far better.

Charlie, if you expect that guy to hear your post, you're gonna have to
type LOUDER!

Well...I had to say it somewhere....you never know? I looked for the
newsgroup WRECK.AUDIO.LOUD but it's not around any more!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob F Bob F is offline

Charles Tomaras wrote:
On the off chance that the FOH mixer for the Return to Forever /
Zappa plays Zappa concert last night in Seattle sees this or someone
shows it to him...
WHY SO LOUD?

Seriously, I like loud music but people around me were plugging their
ears during peak moments. It was excruciatingly loud...not just kind
of loud. From the lobby it actually sounded like a nice mix and I
could clearly discern what everyone was playing. But in the massively
overpowered house it was difficult to find any transparency in the
wash of overdriven sound. Guess that FOH position within the cone of
silence under the balcony must be about 20db quieter than the rest of
the house?
Is there some reason a jazz fusion show needs to be as loud or louder
than a coliseum rock concert?

I saw a great $65 show...but an MP3 playing on my cell phone speaker
would have sounded far better.

After years of wading kleenex in my ears at concerts, I've long since given up
on them. The sould is way better at home.

They drive their equipment way beyond its capability.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Bob F" wrote in message
Charles Tomaras wrote:
[...]

This mixer also had a genuine case of fader creep. He never turned anything
down all night, only up up up. Doubt the end of the fader throw stopped
him...he probably just started reaching for the trims.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

On Sep 26, 12:51*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

After years of wading kleenex in my ears at concerts, I've long since given up
on them.

Don't give up on them. They're handy at the night table when you're
about to sneeze.

As far as concerts, Ticketmaster has driven me away more than the FOH
mixer.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

vdubreeze wrote:
On Sep 26, 12:51 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

After years of wading kleenex in my ears at concerts, I've long
since given up on them.

Don't give up on them. They're handy at the night table when you're
about to sneeze.

As far as concerts, Ticketmaster has driven me away more than the FOH
mixer.

I used a bus ticket once when 'caught short' without protection. Went in too
far and I had to go to doctor to get one out !

geoff