Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Default 3837 new posts... All crap...

What the ****?

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
What the ****?

~Mister.Lull

I got 4,750

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

On Aug 13, 10:34 am, I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
roups.com...
What the ****?

~Mister.Lull

I got 4,750

It's called a SPORGE there was a message posted earlier warning of this
and suggesting you switch to a different USNET news server which will
filter it.
--
I. Care

Hmmm... I'm just viewing this through Google groups. Damn.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

On Aug 13, 11:03 am, Matt Ion wrote:
I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...
"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
groups.com...
What the ****?

~Mister.Lull

I got 4,750

It's called a SPORGE there was a message posted earlier warning of this
and suggesting you switch to a different USNET news server which will
filter it.

Of course they will... a pay service, no doubt.

New take on the old protection racket.- Hide quoted text -

heheheee...

"Come to us, 'cause we're going to righteously **** up where you are
now..."

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Seriously, if guys have any ideas about where I can go to read this group
that would filter this crap out I'm ALL EARS!!!!

Will it ever end? Can OE filter any of it out? Is there another newsreader
(like "Agent", I know that's pretty old-school) that can do it?

It's driving me crazy and am up for ANY suggestions.

Thanks guys,

Nick

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 13, 11:03 am, Matt Ion wrote:
I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...
"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
groups.com...
What the ****?

~Mister.Lull

I got 4,750

It's called a SPORGE there was a message posted earlier warning of

this
and suggesting you switch to a different USNET news server which will
filter it.

Of course they will... a pay service, no doubt.

New take on the old protection racket.- Hide quoted text -

heheheee...

"Come to us, 'cause we're going to righteously **** up where you are
now..."

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
What the ****?

~Mister.Lull

--DR from another NG said

"A suggestion from someone in another NG for bypassing sporge (false
posts) is that anyone who wants to post here should put 4 exclamation
points in front of the subject just as I did in this message (!!!!Subject).
That will make everyone's real posts and the replies to them show up at
the top of all the crap so long as the reader has his/her posts sorted by
subject. You may also want to put your subject line in caps (this NG
only, until the sporge problem passes if it occurs - and delete all posts
if it does occur before posting) to make them stand out from the sporge.

By the way, for those using Outlook Express, you can sort the messages
you see by subject in alphabetical order by clicking on the word "Subject"
at the top of the "Subject" Column. That will sort the messages by subject
from A to Z and characters like exclamation points will come before A.
Clicking on "Subject" again will sort from Z to A. Clicking on other
columns like "From" and "Sent" will sort them that way."

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Mister.Lull wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:03 am, Matt Ion wrote:
I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...
"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
What the ****?
~Mister.Lull
I got 4,750
It's called a SPORGE there was a message posted earlier warning of this
and suggesting you switch to a different USNET news server which will
filter it.

Of course they will... a pay service, no doubt.

New take on the old protection racket.- Hide quoted text -

heheheee...

"Come to us, 'cause we're going to righteously **** up where you are
now..."

~Mister.Lull

FYI, here's the response I got from SuperNews )
themselves (note their suggestion that you contact your own ISP or
usenet provider regarding filtering on their server):

Hi,
Thank you for your report of the recent "Joe Job" sporgery(*) attack.
We've received numerous complaints about these, but as they are not
originating from our servers or otherwise our doing we can't stop these
posts beyond contacting their relevant news site to try to ensure they
do their utmost to get it stopped. They are simply a continuation of
previous sporgery attacks on these groups with the added payload of text
smearing Supernews.com.
The best thing you can do here is just not post a follow-up in the
newsgroup (these often end up carrying to flood to additional groups due
to the Followup header being set) and DO report the sporgery to the site
it originated from. Just like any other sporge post, please keep in
mind the _forgery_ aspect. We're victims here, and would never
advertise in this way ourselves. It's atrocious, and a complete insult
to us. Not everyone knows us, however, so some folks don't know it is
completely anathema to how we work.
Supernews.com has a long history of being extremely anti-spam. We
stomp spammers, newsgroup disruptors, and other abusers flat, to the
point that they rarely even end up trying to use our services. It would
be beyond foolish for us to publicize this fact by spamming Usenet or
any other medium with it.
I hope that you can see through the poster's ploy and simply treat it
as you would any other sporgery - urge your Usenet provider to do what
they can to filter the abusive posts, and report the abuse to the source
as best as you can identify it from the Path and other headers.

If you have any further questions or concerns about this please feel
free to send them our way and we will make every effort to reply to you
with more information.

Supernews Abuse Desk

* For a definition of the term "sporgery" please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporgery, and the linked article on
"HipCrime". Particular hallmarks of these posts include the forged From
header (and often other headers) and one or more lines of gibberish text
(in the posts we've seen reported so far this is made to appear as a
..sig as well as appearing in the Organization header), along with a
their presence as part of a flood.

Posted to rec.audio.car

On Aug 13, 12:16 pm, Matt Ion wrote:
Mister.Lull wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:03 am, Matt Ion wrote:
I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...
"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
legroups.com...
[...]

their presence as part of a flood.- Hide quoted text -

meh.

There aren't any new ones coming through (at least that I've seen), so
I'm not terribly worried about it.

Good Times, eh? :-)

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car

Mister.Lull wrote:
On Aug 13, 11:03 am, Matt Ion wrote:
I. Care wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

~Mister.Lull- Hide quoted text -

....spoke too soon.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

That's clever and the first REAL tangible approach I have heard using OE.
The problem is Newbies. They wouldn't know about the "!!!" trick and would
just post per usual.

But I appreciate ANY technique or idea to get around these guys!!!

MOSFET

"e-nigma" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

On Aug 13, 2:34 pm, "e-nigma" wrote:
Well so much for that idea, the Sporge or whayever it's called has some !!!
also

m...

"e-nigma" wrote in message

[...]

columns like "From" and "Sent" will sort them that way."- Hide quoted text -

****. What's to be done about these Sporge-Whores, then?
Keeping in mind that, for lazy-ass users like myself, I have no
intention of switching away from Google Groups...
~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 13, 2:34 pm, "e-nigma" wrote:
Well so much for that idea, the Sporge or whayever it's called has some
!!!
also

m...

"e-nigma" wrote in message

[...]

Doesn't that seem a little strange.
I mentioned the !!! at 2:58 PM and then at 3:05 PM the sporge !!! messages
start showing up
!!!Conspiracy!!!

Posted to rec.audio.car

On Aug 13, 2:34 pm, "e-nigma" wrote:
Well so much for that idea, the Sporge or whayever it's called has some
!!!
also

m...

"e-nigma" wrote in message

[...]

nevermind, I read it wrong, there were some earlier, but only about an hour
earlier

Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
Seriously, if guys have any ideas about where I can go to read this group
that would filter this crap out I'm ALL EARS!!!!

Will it ever end? Can OE filter any of it out? Is there another
newsreader
(like "Agent", I know that's pretty old-school) that can do it?

It's driving me crazy and am up for ANY suggestions.

Thanks guys,

Nick

Just hang tight. They eventually get bored and move on to more entertaining
groups within a few days. All of the posts appear to have originated from a
newsserver in Greece. Most likely a zombie computer. I've noticed that large
groups of posts timestamped over many hours seem to propagate together vs.
coming through in a trickle.

Annoying as **** isn't it?

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
arthur[_3_] arthur[_3_] is offline

My ISP must have dumped whatever you all are speaking about. My isp
is dslextreme. You might want to play with the new mozilla email /
nntp client. Eudora has joined them. I have not tried it so this is
only a heads up. I use (free) Agent so do not have what you want but
the " I " key works as Ignore and is fast as humming birds.

arthur

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:58:15 -0700, "MOSFET"
wrote:

Seriously, if guys have any ideas about where I can go to read this group
that would filter this crap out I'm ALL EARS!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

nevermind, I read it wrong, there were some earlier, but only about an
hour
earlier

OMG

These Sporge ****ers can read minds!!!!!!! We ARE in big trouble.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Annoying as **** isn't it?

Let me think...................YES!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Goldsmiths Goldsmiths is offline

On Aug 13, 2:34 pm, "e-nigma" wrote:
Well so much for that idea, the Sporge or whayever it's called has some
!!!
also

m...

"e-nigma" wrote in message

[...]

There are a bunch of strategies of that sort being used in newsgroups, but
the sporgers are sophisticated enough to find a repeating pattern. This too
shall pass.

mg

(OE many-years-non-newbie)

Posted to rec.audio.car
Bob Bob is offline

In article ,
Goldsmiths wrote:
:
:"e-nigma" wrote in message
:
: "Mister.Lull" wrote in message
: ups.com...
: On Aug 13, 2:34 pm, "e-nigma" wrote:
: Well so much for that idea, the Sporge or whayever it's called has some
: !!!
: also
:
: "MOSFET" wrote in message
:
: m...
:
:
:
: That's clever and the first REAL tangible approach I have heard using
: OE.
: The problem is Newbies. They wouldn't know about the "!!!" trick and
: would
: just post per usual.
:
: But I appreciate ANY technique or idea to get around these guys!!!
:
: MOSFET
:
: "e-nigma" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Mister.Lull" wrote in message
: groups.com...
: What the ****?
:
: ~Mister.Lull
:
: --DR from another NG said
:
[...]

These idiots who are doing this are clever. The first flood was
cross-posted to sci.crypt, so I added an entry to my KILL file to
handle that, only to find a whole bunch of new articles this morning
which were cross-posted to some other group instead. Hopefully, they
will move on soon.
Posted to rec.audio.car

: On Aug 13, 2:34 pm, "e-nigma" wrote:
: Well so much for that idea, the Sporge or whayever it's called has some
: !!!
: also
:: "MOSFET" wrote in message

:
:news:jtWdnXSgjvyXWl3bnZ2dnUVZ_uCinZ2d@wavecabl e.com...
:
:
:
: That's clever and the first REAL tangible approach I have heard using
: OE.
: The problem is Newbies. They wouldn't know about the "!!!" trick and
: would
: just post per usual.
:
: But I appreciate ANY technique or idea to get around these guys!!!
:
: MOSFET
:
: "e-nigma" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]

[Mister.Lull resorts to old techniques...]

BUMP

~Mister.Lull

OT posts and such JWelsh3374 Pro Audio 4 September 23rd 04 08:45 PM
OT posts and such JWelsh3374 Pro Audio 0 September 23rd 04 01:57 PM
why can't I see my posts? pil Car Audio 3 March 7th 04 12:17 AM
sorry for all my posts pil Car Audio 0 February 28th 04 08:26 AM
No new posts? Chris Scebelo High End Audio 0 November 14th 03 06:36 PM