Posted to rec.audio.car
Gunz4me Gunz4me is offline

Default Installer Screw Up?

Greets,

I recently had a Memphis Car Audio sub installed in my 2007 Honda
Accord. It is the 15-PR10D4, which is a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub which
was bridged to a 16-PR2.75 Memphis Car Audio Amp. My question is why in
the hell did my installer choose to wire the DVC sub in series to get 8
ohms versus running it stereo? I guess technically, the amp would
produce the same power in 8 ohm mono as it would in 4 ohm stereo, but it
still blows my mind why he would have recommended this DVC sub over a
single voice coil 4 ohm 10" sub.

I am starting to see that I made the mistake of going cheap, so I may
end up buying twice.... Grr, I hate it when I don't pay attention.
That should teach me better than to go and purchase an amp/subwoofer
after an afternoon of drinking....

G4M
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Gunz4me" wrote in message
Greets,

I recently had a Memphis Car Audio sub installed in my 2007 Honda Accord.
It is the 15-PR10D4, which is a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub which was
bridged to a 16-PR2.75 Memphis Car Audio Amp. My question is why in the
hell did my installer choose to wire the DVC sub in series to get 8 ohms
versus running it stereo? I guess technically, the amp would produce the
same power in 8 ohm mono as it would in 4 ohm stereo, but it still blows
my mind why he would have recommended this DVC sub over a single voice
coil 4 ohm 10" sub.

I am starting to see that I made the mistake of going cheap, so I may end
up buying twice.... Grr, I hate it when I don't pay attention. That
should teach me better than to go and purchase an amp/subwoofer after an
afternoon of drinking....

G4M

Wiring it 8 ohm mono insures that both voice coils are getting the exact
same signal.
If it was wired stereo each voice coil might get a little bit different
signal and may fight against each other decreasinng bass response

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gunz4me Gunz4me is offline

e-nigma wrote:
"Gunz4me" wrote in message
[...]

True, but I think he should have either
1. Recommended a 2 ohm stable amp bridged OR
2. Recommended a SVC 4 ohm 10" sub

I wasn't thinking properly at the time I purchased it, and I could have
sworn he told me the 10" DVC sub was 2 ohm, wired in series to create a
4 ohm load, whereas looking on the subwoofer's original box, that is not
the case. Hell, I don't even know if Memphis Car Audio has 2 ohm DVC
subs in their Power Reference line.

All this may eventually be a moot point anyhow because I am considering
purchasing a 1 ohm stable sub amp (Rockford Fosgate or Orion), and using
the Memphis Audio amp to push a pair of soon to be purchased component
speakers up front. Since the door mounting depth sucks in the 2007
Honda Accord, I may have to use some Q forms kick panels. I am starting
to see I should have left well enough alone because my old car audio
addiction is starting to rear its ugly head...

Next on the agenda after getting the system the way I want it may be a
carputer. Who knows where I will stop.....
Posted to rec.audio.car
s3sqguy[_20_] s3sqguy[_20_] is offline

If it has not been too long go back and ***** up a storm, tell them it
was supposed to be a DVC 2ohm.