Posted to rec.audio.tech
IndioBravo IndioBravo is offline

Default Old Amp w/ No Subwoofer Terminal

Newbie question please - I have an old Sansui AU-D7 amp and I would
like to connect a powered Radio Shack subwoofer to it. Problem is the
amp has no subwoofer terminals. The subwoofer has both sets of low
level and high level inputs. Which inputs should I use and do I simply
connect them to the amp's speaker terminals? Can I use the amp's B
vacant speaker B terminals, and just leave the speaker A terminals for
the main speakers? Thanks for any guidance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

"IndioBravo" wrote in message
ups.com...
Newbie question please - I have an old Sansui AU-D7 amp and I would
like to connect a powered Radio Shack subwoofer to it. Problem is the
amp has no subwoofer terminals. The subwoofer has both sets of low
level and high level inputs. Which inputs should I use and do I simply
connect them to the amp's speaker terminals? Can I use the amp's B
vacant speaker B terminals, and just leave the speaker A terminals for
the main speakers? Thanks for any guidance.

The first probolem you need to overcome is that the output of your Sansui is
stereo, and the subwoofer is mono. You can do as you suggest, and hook it up
to one of the B outputs, but then you will get the extreme bass from the
left channel only. In practice this may not matter a lot as so much bass in
pop music is mono in character anyway, but for non-pop music this will not
work terribly well.

What I would do is either:-
A) If you're not using the tape outputs of the amplifier, then combine left
and right tape out using a pair of 10kohm resistors, and take the resulting
mono feed to the sub's low level input.

if you are already using the tape output for tape or something else, then

B) Combine the left and right B speaker outputs through a pair of 1k
resistors and take the resulting mono feed to the sub's high-level input. I
am assuming that the high level input presents a high impedance (say 1kohm)
and that the only difference between high and low level inputs is the
sensitivity.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message
news
[...]

I disagree - subs I've seen which have "high-level" inputs connect to both
the Left and Right - summing is done internally.

Yes, the OP can connect the sub to the B speaker outputs - should work just
fine, provided they simply parallel the A speakers, which I'm pretty sure
would be the case on the Sansui.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

[...]

With the tape out driving the subwoofer, the volume control of the receiver will not control
the level of the subwoofer -- it will stay the same all the time as the main speakers are
turned up and down.

If the receiver happens to have a pre-out/main-in set of jumpers, there might be enough
level there to Y-connect each of those to the powered sub. Worth a try.
--
Regards from Virginia Beach,

Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
t...

[...]

If that's the case, then there's no problem. I haven't seen that myself.

Yes, the OP can connect the sub to the B speaker outputs - should work
just fine, provided they simply parallel the A speakers, which I'm pretty
sure would be the case on the Sansui.

Mark Z.

Ditto if the L&R get summed in the subwoofer.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message

[...]

That's right, silly of me to have missed that one.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Serge Auckland wrote:

With the tape out driving the subwoofer, the volume control of the
receiver will not control the level of the subwoofer -- it will stay
the same all the time as the main speakers are turned up and down.

That's right, silly of me to have missed that one.

Most amps have headphone outputs.

S.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen