Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rv! Rv! is offline

Default Mixing desk tutorial anyone? Rv!

Hi all,
I'm trying to shy away from giving a lesson to two radio studio folk, or at least
do some prep' work with them.

I was senior Tech' at a local radio communtiy station here in the UK last year
and had to drive the desk many times due to the presenters of the community show
not being able to "play faders."

Can anyone suggest a tutorial for them that is available to download from the 'net?
The desk is an old Soundcraft 100BVE (I'd like a manual if anyone has one!) which
works for us at present. It will be getting replaced within a year though.

Doesn't need to be fancy, simple gain trim, channel setting and basic gain structure
is all that's needed. I could write one or just do the training but I'm snowed under right
now.

Any ideas?

Robert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Albatross Albatross is offline

Hi Robert,
It depends on how technical or basic you want to get. Nothing beats being
there with a mixer in front of you & playing with the controls, but a good
audio grounding will help.

Take a look at Pro Sound Webs Study Hall area.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/ab_index.php

or for a printable/ PDF try this from SoundCraft
http://www.soundcraft.com/download.a...g_brochure.pdf

Cheers,
Ric

There are a heap of basic tutorials
"Rv!" wrote in message
.uk...

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Albatross Albatross is offline

or the online version..

http://www.soundcraft.com/extra_prod...ide/index.html

u...

"Rv!" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rv! Rv! is offline

"Albatross" rjarnold//au wrote
or the online version..

Hi,
Thanks. I've got those files in my personal library for reference on this dumb moments.
They're a bit heavy going for these folk. I might just throw something simple together
as a tutorial and chuck it on my website for future folk wanting a simple guide.

Thanks for the effort!

Robert

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Rv! wrote:

They're a bit heavy going for these folk. I might just throw something simple together
as a tutorial and chuck it on my website for future folk wanting a simple guide.

You might try the manual from a Mackie VLZ-Pro series of mixers. Those
have a pretty good explanation of what the controls do.

Not do discourage you, but my experience with listening to community
radio stations is that there are a whole lot of announcers that never
get it right. They don't seem to know or care any more than "I turn
this pot up to 7 so the CD will play." Levels go all over the place and
they don't seem to notice.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rv! Rv! is offline

"Mike Rivers" mrivers@d///com wrote
You might try the manual from a Mackie VLZ-Pro series of mixers. Those
have a pretty good explanation of what the controls do.

Downloading the manual for wee look.... Thanks.

Not do discourage you, but my experience with listening to community
radio stations is that there are a whole lot of announcers that never
get it right. They don't seem to know or care any more than "I turn
this pot up to 7 so the CD will play." Levels go all over the place and
they don't seem to notice.

Yup, That's the one. I was pulled into the studio as a silent fader jockey during
the community shows for this reason. One guy built pre-records to a good standard
by getting all the averages about right and the likes. Other were all over the shop.
I tried working with the media before we went live but, as always, the presenters
never came in until about 15 minutes before the show. Guests came in with CD's of
material at the same time so I had no idea what was to be broadcast until I hit play!

We pulled it together OK and all the levels were quite good considering the riot going
on in the studio: Me listening to them, waiting for cue's and PFL'ing the pre-records to
try and be prepared for the guff bits. Along with the presenters going off script a few
times it was a fun experience!

I only got involved last year as I was sitting in my house listening and saying to myself,
"That sounds so sht I could do better!" They gave me full control for the following two
broadcasts. Sounds like I'm blowing a trumpet here, but I don't want to put that forward.
It was really bad before, but with the team we have now (mainly female engineers!) we're
running a tight ship and things are so much better.

i would like them to be able to self-support a bit better this next broadcast as it's a five
year license for 24/7 and I ain't going to be doing 18 hour days for that!

Robertv!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Rv! wrote:

Can anyone suggest a tutorial for them that is available to download from the 'net?
The desk is an old Soundcraft 100BVE (I'd like a manual if anyone has one!) which
works for us at present. It will be getting replaced within a year though.

Doesn't need to be fancy, simple gain trim, channel setting and basic gain structure
is all that's needed. I could write one or just do the training but I'm snowed under right
now.

Any ideas?

Give them the Mackie 1604 manual. Yeah, I know it's a different console,
but the Mackie manual is very well written as an introduction to signal flow
through a console. And it's free off the Mackie website.

The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook has a good intro too, but you'll have
to pay money for it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimPerry TimPerry is offline

Rv! wrote:
"Mike Rivers" mrivers@d///com wrote
You might try the manual from a Mackie VLZ-Pro series of mixers.
Those have a pretty good explanation of what the controls do.

Downloading the manual for wee look.... Thanks.

my recomendation: don't bother. not one will read halfway past the first
page.

instead get a label maker and tape short functional istructions on the
mixer... like "this row feeds mic-minus to tel" or "audition bus feed
recorder"

put compellers or similar in the program bus so the board levels wont matter
so much.