Default need some very specific advice and comments on this car audio thought...

OK.... 2003 cavalir.... barebones THUS am/fm radio only.

My goal is to get a stero in this car without altering anything on the
car, and without changing the stock looks (thieves), car sequrity
system is not an option. Please dont comment on me buying an
aftermarket deck, sequrity system etc etc...these are not options for
me.

Will this setup sound good....

sony mp3 cd changer running on an fm-mod. Amp, 10" sub in the trunk
running off of one of those line-in adapters instead of rca cables
(the input that runs off of speaker wires).

how do these line-in inputs sound??? I have always used aftermarket
decks with the most expensive RCA i could buy. How do they sound
compared to RCA??? distorted.... ??? fuzzy.... ???
How does this adapter work? Do you got disconnect one speaker for
it...or does it just branch off?

question #2 ....

what would sound better. Run my 6x9's in the rear off of the stock
deck. OR Run the 6x9's in the rear off the amp in the
trunk using the line-in input???

is this setup gonna sound like ass running thru a fm-mod cd changer,
into a stock deck, then running off of a line-in amp???

bare-in-mind i will be using after markey 6x9's in the rear.

i thank you for your info and help

With line-in inputs you have to disconnect at least two of the speakers.
Another method would be to use a speaker level line-out to RCA converter box
that converts the speaker level outputs from the HU into RCA signals. You
can get these at various places. Cheap RCA cables work just fine, if you
previously spent more than they cost at radio shack you spent too much.

I personally would never run an FM modulator, but if you gotta, you gotta,
you may have mixed results depending on the specific FM stations in your
geographical location.

Run your rear 6x9's off an amp, not the HU, doubtful that your factory head
unit has much power. Find a 3 channel amp that will power your rear speakers
& a single sub off of a 2 channel input (either line-in, or using the
previously mentioned converter box RCA's).

Why not install an aftermarket headunit in an alternate location, say in the
center console. Is the center console big enough?

-T

wrote in message
[...]

---

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:31:25 -0700, "T" wrote:

[...]

crutchfield says to use line-in, i splice off two speakers and it wont
affect the speakers at all. So, i aint sure what you mean by
disconnecting 2 speakers....?

Cheap rca cables.... suck. I had a very good system in a z28. I had
"cheap" rca cables. I then switched to the most expensive stinger
wires they had. The difference was like night and day. It was the
best cash i ever spent on a car audio. So i aint sure why you would
make a comment like you did. Wires make a very big difference.

center console? if you are reffering to the console in between the
two front seats... why would i do this? It would fit just
fine...plenty of room. But to my knowledge decks skip like a bitch
when inverted 90 degrees. They arent designed to keep themselves cool
when inverted at 90 degrees. The thing would probbly over heat. Like
i said...i am not looking for suggestions and other "ideas" of how to
put a stero in my car... i just want comments and questions answered
about my current setup plan.

thanks

TheBIessedDead

Cheap rca cables.... suck. I had a very good system in a z28. I had
"cheap" rca cables. I then switched to the most expensive stinger
wires they had. The difference was like night and day. It was the
best cash i ever spent on a car audio. So i aint sure why you would
make a comment like you did. Wires make a very big difference.

Riiighhht.

I can imagine a few people around here might not agree with ya on this one.

Adair Winter

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:31:25 -0700, "T" wrote:

Cheap rca cables.... suck. I had a very good system in a z28. I had
"cheap" rca cables. I then switched to the most expensive stinger
wires they had. The difference was like night and day. It was the
best cash i ever spent on a car audio. So i aint sure why you would
make a comment like you did. Wires make a very big difference.

Is this one of those, I sent a bagillion dollars on cables so it HAS to be
better? wire is wire, so long as a cable can carry the current and voltage
and it's shielded if it needs to be thats all that matters.. I used to do
some work for a radio station and all their interconnects where custom made
with 2 or 3 conductor wire that was foil shielded.

I have a friend who uses a Speaker level line converter to run the input on
his amp and it sounds fine to me, and i'm picky..
I think the FM modulator is going to suck.. just my .02

Adair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:21:41 GMT, "Adair Winter"
wrote:

[...]

thats just it... my cheap rca wasnt shielded...the good stuff was
shielded.

do fm modulators really sound that bad? If it is an actully wire
plugging into my deck... how bad could it be? I could see if it used
a broadcast signal.

Adair Winter

wrote in message
wrote:
i learned in college the reasons that make top quality rcas better
then low quality.

they can disagree all they want

anyone have any help for me on my orignal post

Kinda like this? would you buy this?
http://www.pslaudio.com/pages_cable/Emanio.htm

Adair

Mark Zarella

Cheap rca cables.... suck. I had a very good system in a z28. I had
"cheap" rca cables. I then switched to the most expensive stinger
wires they had. The difference was like night and day. It was the
best cash i ever spent on a car audio. So i aint sure why you would
make a comment like you did. Wires make a very big difference.

Your old ones must have been faulty then. Metal is metal.

Mark Zarella

i learned in college the reasons that make top quality rcas better
then low quality.

What are those reasons then?

Eddie Runner

i learned in college the reasons that make top quality rcas better
then low quality.

Which college class taught you those lies???

Eddie Runner

Cheap rca cables.... suck. I had a very good system in a z28. I had
"cheap" rca cables. I then switched to the most expensive stinger
wires they had. The difference was like night and day. It was the
best cash i ever spent on a car audio. So i aint sure why you would
make a comment like you did. Wires make a very big difference.

I got to audition some real expensive RCA cables when I was at the
Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas one year... The cables were
28000 pr Thats twenty eight thousand dollars....!!!!

Funny how NONE, ZILCH, ZERO of these high priced cable
companies will ever let us do an A/B comparison.... ha ha

Mark Zarella

i learned in college the reasons that make top quality rcas better
then low quality.

Which college class taught you those lies???

Evidently he took an audio cable class...

TheBIessedDead

Default need some very specific advice and comments on this car audio

I got to audition some real expensive RCA cables when I was at the
Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas one year... The cables were
28000 pr Thats twenty eight thousand dollars....!!!!

28 grand? Holy crap. I had better take out a loan and get me a set of those.
I bet it would make my system sound AMAZING!!!!!
Z Gluhak

28 grand? Holy crap. I had better take out a loan and get me a set of

those.
I bet it would make my system sound AMAZING!!!!!

they contain hidden signals man. the subliminal ones that tell you that
your system sounds AMAZING. they also double the value of your car!

IMHO decent cables help shield out noise and are more forgiving when ran
near power wire and they don't look all beater. Other than that metal is
metal like Mark said. I got some zero noise cables for cheap on Ebay and
they work well and I didn't pay but slighly more than for ugly rat shack
ones.

FM mods suck. Just check out XM radio at circuit city or someplace and
compare sound from fm modulated xm radio vs. xm ready HUs. That is if you
can get an apples to apples comparison using the same HU.

Is there like an upgradable stock radio that you can buy that you could hook
up a delco cd changer to - that way you stay stock but don't have to do fm
modulator.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:12:41 GMT, Eddie Runner
wrote:

i learned in college the reasons that make top quality rcas better
then low quality.

Which college class taught you those lies???

lies....? that a shielded rca wire will produce a signal more closer
to the orignal signal as compared to a rca without shielding.... not
much of a lie there....

anyone care to help shed some knowledge on my orignal post?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:19:59 -0500, "Mark Zarella"
wrote:

i learned in college the reasons that make top quality rcas better
then low quality.

Which college class taught you those lies???

Evidently he took an audio cable class...

actully.... i took a class on any and all wires that would be found in
a plant/industrial location.... so part of the class was on RCA. And
yes some old old plants still have rca's as a form of communication
amongest them.

ok... it is obvious people think i lie that my stero sounded better
with shielded rca compared to non shielded rca....

great...think i am liar.... thats fine....

you can ignore this thread... i had no intentions of it being about
rca wires and the benefits that shielding MIGHT play.

thanks for your time and your infinite knowledge on a wire

Mark Zarella

Evidently he took an audio cable class...

actully.... i took a class on any and all wires that would be found in
a plant/industrial location.... so part of the class was on RCA. And
yes some old old plants still have rca's as a form of communication
amongest them.

A wires class? That's original. What college offers that?

TheBIessedDead

lies....? that a shielded rca wire will produce a signal more closer
to the orignal signal as compared to a rca without shielding.... not
much of a lie there....

Really, how does that work?

Darrell Holigan

thats just it... my cheap rca wasnt shielded...the good stuff was
shielded.

Shielded RCAs are a dubious proposition. RCA is an unbalanced signal so the
ground reference is typically the shield itself. If you have two conductor
cable with an additional shield tied to the low signal, you create a ground
loop. You can AC-couple the shield and the ground reference with a
capacitor, but the noise reduction is nominal.

Darrell Holigan

IMHO decent cables help shield out noise and are more forgiving when ran
near power wire and they don't look all beater.

Not true. The noise caused by running near power wires is due to the
magnetic flux caused by the current through the cable. The shield does not
isolate the signal wires against the magnetic flux (unless it was made of
ferrous material, which it's not), so it doesn't reduce the noise.

Adair Winter

wrote in message
ok... it is obvious people think i lie that my stero sounded better
with shielded rca compared to non shielded rca....

great...think i am liar.... thats fine....

you can ignore this thread... i had no intentions of it being about
rca wires and the benefits that shielding MIGHT play.

thanks for your time and your infinite knowledge on a wire

Sorry to burst your bubble, don't run off so quick..

Adair

Z Gluhak

"Darrell Holigan" wrote in message
IMHO decent cables help shield out noise and are more forgiving when ran
near power wire and they don't look all beater.

Not true. The noise caused by running near power wires is due to the
magnetic flux caused by the current through the cable. The shield does

not
isolate the signal wires against the magnetic flux (unless it was made of
ferrous material, which it's not), so it doesn't reduce the noise.

Good to know. So what does the shield do besides physically protect the
wire?

Paul Vina

Good to know. So what does the shield do besides physically protect the
wire?

Triple the price of the wire.

Paul Vina

Eddie Runner

Z Gluhak wrote:

28 grand? Holy crap. I had better take out a loan and get me a set of

those.
I bet it would make my system sound AMAZING!!!!!

they contain hidden signals man. the subliminal ones that tell you that
your system sounds AMAZING. they also double the value of your car!

for that price you could hire the original musicians....!!

FM mods suck.

Thats a common thought!
But I dont believe ALL FM mods are quite so bad....
When most folks think of FM mods they think of the crappy
little devices that transmit an FM signal through the air and
then we HOPE our system can pick it up and not be interfered
with by an actuall station!

YES, many times those really do suck, specially in a big
city or near an FM transmitter site.

But there are some FM modulators that direct connect to the
headunits antenna line, in this case the FM signal from the device
does not transmit through the air, it goes directly into the headunit..
AND, the good ones have an on/off switch so that when they
are turned on they actually flip a relay that disconnects the
outside antenna so it reduces the possibility of strong outside signals
competing with the devices signals...

I used up all my AUX inputs so I use one of these FM mods for
the DVD player in my tahoe and it sounds wonderfull.... It technicly
may not be as clean as the aux in, but I really cant tell any difference...

Eddie Runner

Eddie Runner

Darrell Holigan wrote:

Not true. The noise caused by running near power wires is due to the
magnetic flux caused by the current through the cable. The shield does not
isolate the signal wires against the magnetic flux (unless it was made of
ferrous material, which it's not), so it doesn't reduce the noise.

Darrell,
Typicly in a car the cable doesnt matter if it is sheilded or not, but a few
years ago I did some testing of my own and I can measure some definite
differences between shielded cables and non-sheilded cables....

Like I say, in a car it probably wont matter, but my test seems to prove
your statement in general to be incorrect....

http://www.installer.com/tech/cat5.html

Eddie Runner

Mark Zarella

Eddie Runner

unless of course there are some external forces other than just
the audio at work...

How fitting it would be to keep that your sig file!

Adair Winter

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message

Good write up eddie, I wish it didn't cost so much and everything in audio
was balanced, you wouldn't see NEAR as much problems with noise as you do
with unbalanced stuff.. I'm currently fighting with some unbalanced outputs
on a mixing board in our youth room at church.. I get a wonderful 60hz hum
with the flouresent lights on, about to get that takin care of tho..

Adair

Darrell Holigan

First, I'd like to applaud you for using experimentation with actual test
equipment to measure the benefits of different audio interconnects. Too
often I see people relying on smoke and mirror arguments, claiming that one
cable "sounds better" over another, when for decades we have had the
equipment necessary to verify those claims. And I don't doubt your results
at all...

I do question your conclusion as to *why* the RCAs performed better than the
CAT5, because it goes against what I (think I) know about inductive noise.
I'd like to try a few experiments of my own actually, signal noise is
something that's important in my line of work and I have the test equipment
necessary to duplicate your tests as well as add a few of my own which I
hope might isolate the cause of the difference. Could you tell me, when you
connected the CAT5 cable to RCA jacks, how did you connect them? Did you
use two wires, with one conductor tied to the positive terminal and one to
the negative? Did you tie half of the conductors to the positive and half
to the negative? Also, do you remember if you used the matching conductors
in the twisted pair(s) for the positive and negative terminals?

Thanks,
Darrell

Darrell Holigan wrote:

Not true. The noise caused by running near power wires is due to the
magnetic flux caused by the current through the cable. The shield does

not
isolate the signal wires against the magnetic flux (unless it was made

of
ferrous material, which it's not), so it doesn't reduce the noise.

Darrell,
Typicly in a car the cable doesnt matter if it is sheilded or not, but a

few
years ago I did some testing of my own and I can measure some definite
differences between shielded cables and non-sheilded cables....

Like I say, in a car it probably wont matter, but my test seems to prove
your statement in general to be incorrect....

http://www.installer.com/tech/cat5.html

Eddie Runner

Adair Winter

[...]

I'm kinda interested in the same thing.. network cables work because they
are working with balanced signals.. I can't see how just grabbing 1,2 or 4
of the wire and tieing them togeather would amount to much if your not
working with something that will cancel out any noise on the receiving
end... *shrug*

Adair

Mark Zarella

This may be of some interest to you.

http://www.geocities.com/audiotechpa...ractions. pdf

Although it's not measuring inductive noise, it does provide a geometrical
correlate for various reactance quantities for a number of cables.

Darrell Holigan wrote:

[...]

Dave

I'm wondering why balanced lines didn't catch on too. When I had my Denon
DCT950r it had balanced (and unbalanced) outs which worked perfectly with my
Phoenix Gold eq232's balanced ins. This was a dead-quiet install. The only
difference that I could see in their use of CAT cable was that this stuff
was "shielded" Cat 5, IIRC. You couldn't run into Best Buy and grab a length
of this stuff, unfortunately, but it WAS available from suppliers who dealt
with computer networking guys.

Dave

Darrell Holigan wrote:

[...]

Eddie Runner

Darrell Holigan wrote:

First, I'd like to applaud you for using experimentation with actual test
equipment to measure the benefits of different audio interconnects.

I love doing that when I can find the time.... I hate saying something
just cause so and so says so...

I do question your conclusion as to *why* the RCAs performed better than the
CAT5, because it goes against what I (think I) know about inductive noise.

Im not sure it is concluded.. !! ;-)

I'd like to try a few experiments of my own actually, signal noise is
something that's important in my line of work and I have the test equipment
necessary to duplicate your tests as well as add a few of my own which I
hope might isolate the cause of the difference.

the original subject of course included noises in the car, I had a hell of a
hard time finding anything noisy enough to make the comparison with.
Nothing in the car gave me any noise and I ended up with a big ol
neon transformer....

Could you tell me, when you
connected the CAT5 cable to RCA jacks, how did you connect them?

we used one of the twisted pair, one wire for center and one wire
for ground...

Did you
use two wires, with one conductor tied to the positive terminal and one to
the negative?

yes

Did you tie half of the conductors to the positive and half
to the negative?

no, we left the other pairs unconnected at either end

Also, do you remember if you used the matching conductors
in the twisted pair(s) for the positive and negative terminals?

im not sure I understand this question..

Eddie

ãÞ0çã|ÿÞs

Here is an article from Adire Audio on car cables, you should find it VERY
interesting.....

http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/car_cables.htm