Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

Default Used Receivers ?

I am looking for a used stereo receiver, for my cabin location. I want a
quality receiver, not the junk from Circuit City, etc. I don't need
audiophile stuff, just something that exceeds klh, rca etc etc.

I am thinking that Denon might be a good choice. I would like at least 50
wants per channel. I have no interest in home theater or 5 channels, etc.
This is for stereo only.

My budget is $200-300.

What Denon model would be good for me? Is there another brand that I
should look for? What is a good online site for used stereo equipment ?

Thanks for any help !!

James

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Nov 3, 3:21 pm, "James" wrote:
I am looking for a used stereo receiver, for my cabin location. I want a
quality receiver, not the junk from Circuit City, etc. I don't need
audiophile stuff, just something that exceeds klh, rca etc etc.

I am thinking that Denon might be a good choice. I would like at least 50
wants per channel. I have no interest in home theater or 5 channels, etc.
This is for stereo only.

My budget is $200-300.

What Denon model would be good for me? Is there another brand that I
should look for? What is a good online site for used stereo equipment ?

Thanks for any help !!

James

Denon is generally good stuff. I'd also look for NAD, tho they tend to
lean more towards integrated amps than receivers.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 13:21:11 -0700, James wrote
(in article ):

I am looking for a used stereo receiver, for my cabin location. I want a
quality receiver, not the junk from Circuit City, etc. I don't need
audiophile stuff, just something that exceeds klh, rca etc etc.

I am thinking that Denon might be a good choice. I would like at least 50
wants per channel. I have no interest in home theater or 5 channels, etc.
This is for stereo only.

My budget is $200-300.

What Denon model would be good for me? Is there another brand that I
should look for? What is a good online site for used stereo equipment ?

Thanks for any help !!

James

Why don't you look around for a good, used tube receiver from HH Scott,
Fisher, Harman-Kardon, Sherwood, Marantz, et al. All standard parts, and much
better sound quality than from a piece of new gear in that price range.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
CJT CJT is offline

Sonnova wrote:
[...]

Plus, you can use it for a space heater this winter.

Posted to rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Sonnova wrote:

Why don't you look around for a good, used tube receiver from HH Scott,
Fisher, Harman-Kardon, Sherwood, Marantz, et al. All standard parts, and much
better sound quality than from a piece of new gear in that price range.

I personally doubt that they'll have _better_ sound quality. They may have a
'valve tone' which is fine if you like that kind of thing.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:37:35 -0800, CJT wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:
[...]

Pshawww! Tube receivers don't get THAT hot.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
rppb rppb is offline

I would check out harmanaudio on Ebay. They sell reconditioned receivers
with the full warranty.
"James" wrote in message
. ..

I am looking for a used stereo receiver, for my cabin location. I want a
quality receiver, not the junk from Circuit City, etc. I don't need
audiophile stuff, just something that exceeds klh, rca etc etc.

I am thinking that Denon might be a good choice. I would like at least
50
wants per channel. I have no interest in home theater or 5 channels,
etc.
This is for stereo only.

My budget is $200-300.

What Denon model would be good for me? Is there another brand that I
should look for? What is a good online site for used stereo equipment ?

Thanks for any help !!

James

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Simpson Simpson is offline

James wrote:
I am looking for a used stereo receiver, for my cabin location. I want a
quality receiver, not the junk from Circuit City, etc. I don't need
audiophile stuff, just something that exceeds klh, rca etc etc.

I am thinking that Denon might be a good choice. I would like at least 50
wants per channel. I have no interest in home theater or 5 channels, etc.
This is for stereo only.

My budget is $200-300.

What Denon model would be good for me? Is there another brand that I
should look for? What is a good online site for used stereo equipment ?

Thanks for any help !!

James

If you don't need AM, look at an Advent 300.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

"Simpson" wrote in message
James wrote:
I am looking for a used stereo receiver, for my cabin location. I want a
quality receiver, not the junk from Circuit City, etc. I don't need
audiophile stuff, just something that exceeds klh, rca etc etc.

I am thinking that Denon might be a good choice. I would like at least
50
wants per channel. I have no interest in home theater or 5 channels,
etc.
This is for stereo only.

My budget is $200-300.

What Denon model would be good for me? Is there another brand that I
should look for? What is a good online site for used stereo equipment ?

Thanks for any help !!

James

If you don't need AM, look at an Advent 300.

I'm all for vintage receivers (solid state, that is...) but the OP should be
aware that any vintage analog equipment will need maintenance - controls
cleaned at a minimum.

Alternatively, one can pick up a Denon DRA-297, 397, 685, etc very
reasonably - less than 250.00 for a DRA-685 which offers excellent sound
quality, 100 watts per channel, a very good tuner section, and very good
build quality. Google "Dakmart".

The newer "97 series" also offers XM capability.

Mark Z.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Bobbyg1967 Bobbyg1967 is offline

Bad news, DENON = Designed and Engineered Not to Operate Normally

How do I know this?.....repairing Denons for 21 years.

If I were you, I would look at a Yamaha ( bought a HT receiver for myself
and couldnt be happier ). Their older Yamaha recievers DO have a slightly
smoother sound to them, but they are solid and non- fatiguing.

My other choice would be NAD....but that is a distant second.

BG67

"James" wrote in message
. ..

I am looking for a used stereo receiver, for my cabin location. I want a
quality receiver, not the junk from Circuit City, etc. I don't need
audiophile stuff, just something that exceeds klh, rca etc etc.

I am thinking that Denon might be a good choice. I would like at least
50
wants per channel. I have no interest in home theater or 5 channels,
etc.
This is for stereo only.

My budget is $200-300.

What Denon model would be good for me? Is there another brand that I
should look for? What is a good online site for used stereo equipment ?

Thanks for any help !!

James

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Bobbyg1967" wrote in message
Bad news, DENON = Designed and Engineered Not to Operate Normally

How do I know this?.....repairing Denons for 21 years.

If I were you, I would look at a Yamaha ( bought a HT receiver for myself
and couldnt be happier ). Their older Yamaha recievers DO have a slightly
smoother sound to them, but they are solid and non- fatiguing.

My other choice would be NAD....but that is a distant second.

BG67

"James" wrote in message
. ..

I am looking for a used stereo receiver, for my cabin location. I want a
quality receiver, not the junk from Circuit City, etc. I don't need
audiophile stuff, just something that exceeds klh, rca etc etc.

I am thinking that Denon might be a good choice. I would like at least
50
wants per channel. I have no interest in home theater or 5 channels,
etc.
This is for stereo only.

My budget is $200-300.

What Denon model would be good for me? Is there another brand that I
should look for? What is a good online site for used stereo equipment ?

Thanks for any help !!

James

I do warranty work for both Yamaha and Denon and have for the past 12 years.
I would judge the equipment as very comparable. I was recommending the DRA
685, which you must know is a very decent receiver if you've ever worked on
one, because it is widely available at very attractive prices. (Also, I own
a DRA-685, an AVR-3801, an RX-V995, an RX-V757, an HTR-5450, a Kenwood
KR-9400, an Onkyo TX-670, various integrated amps and tuners, 3 turntables,
open reels, cassette decks - the list goes on...)

Denon's support was pretty bad for a while there but has improved.

If I was shopping for a surround receiver I would go Yamaha, but even here
the Denon is very comparable - some models maybe better. Have you ever seen
an AVR-5805? Jesus!!!

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
message t

If I was shopping for a surround receiver I would go
Yamaha, but even here the Denon is very comparable - some
models maybe better. Have you ever seen an AVR-5805?
Jesus!!!

I've seen the price of the AVR-5805, even as used product on eBay.

Ditto!

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:07:17 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
message t

If I was shopping for a surround receiver I would go
Yamaha, but even here the Denon is very comparable - some
models maybe better. Have you ever seen an AVR-5805?
Jesus!!!

I've seen the price of the AVR-5805, even as used product on eBay.

Ditto!

It's a monster. Been in and around retail of both lines all
my adult life, as service manager, installer, and who knows
what all else, and have a medium-strong personal preference
for the modern Denon products. They seem to be a very serious
outfit with a serious vision for home electronics in the
foreseeable future, utilizing but not centered on the PC
ethernet model. Also, good stuff for small bux.

Be sure to check their upcoming I-Pod docks and universal
remote controls - saw both this morning; very promising.
They're also going to be the first out of the gate with
Tom Holman and USC's "EQ" system Audyssey (sp?) which,
looks promising. Yeah, yeah, I know, but THX himself ain't
no dummy.

Just my personal opinion, of course. Much thanks, as always,

Chris Hornbeck

Used Receivers ? James Audio Opinions 9 November 8th 07 12:06 AM
fa various,amp,receivers etc hydebee Vacuum Tubes 3 April 27th 07 03:42 AM
HT Receivers [email protected] Audio Opinions 9 August 8th 05 09:24 PM
Q on AV/Stereo Receivers GW Tech 2 December 27th 04 08:40 AM
6.1, 7.1 channels AV receivers... Jim General 1 July 9th 03 03:41 PM