Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jhurlbut@gmail.com is offline

Default Digital Source Out to 2nd or 3rd Zone

OK,
I'm not sure where to post this, so if you have a better location, I'm
open to suggestions. Here's my "problem". I have a Sony receiver ~ 5
years old. It has a second zone capability which I have hooked the
second zone up to a Niles amplifier to control my whole house audio.
The "issue" is that with this particular receiver none of my digital
inputs can be output to Zone 2 as it's an analog output. So the DVD
player, Cable Box, X-box, etc all cannot be output through the second
zone unless I connect an additional analog output to the source. It's
a work around, but not the cleanest cable wise.

SO, what I'd like to do is buy a new receiver with HDMI switching.
I'm considering the Sony STR-DA5300ES or the Yamaha RX-V3800. The
problem is the Sony for sure has the same "issue" as my current
receiver. I can't tell by reading the owner's manual of the Yamaha if
it has the same issue as well.

So the question is, do you guys know if there is a receiver out there
with multi-room capability and HDMI switching (at least 3 inputs, 4
would be better) that has the capability of ouputting digital sources
to the second or third zones?

Hope that all makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John