Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jimmy.desiderio@gmail.com is offline

Default Music removal and normalization questions

I want to take a clip and silence the music in it and bring forth the
background sound (the talking, walking, etc...). Like say if there
was a theme playing, and a bunch of people were getting on a bus, I
want the sounds with the bus and remove the music to as low as
possible.

-----------------
Another thing, I need help with Normalizing. What I want is to take
quiet parts of the clip and raise them very high. But I need to also
"keep" the loud sounds the same volume in the clip. When I normalize,
it uses dynamic compression to take care of the sounds that get too
loud.

For example, lets say there's a movie where people are firing
gunshots. There is talking amongst the people firing. If I apply a
normalize, I can bring forth the voices fine, but then the gunshots
would be muffled because of dynamic compression.

I want to keep the gunshots at the same volume and bring forth the
quiet background noise.

Thanks for any help!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

On Oct 7, 10:01 pm, wrote:
I want to take a clip and silence the music in it and bring forth the
background sound (the talking, walking, etc...). Like say if there
was a theme playing, and a bunch of people were getting on a bus, I
want the sounds with the bus and remove the music to as low as
possible.

That's a tough task. When you figure it out, let me know and the
two of us can make a bundle.

-----------------
Another thing, I need help with Normalizing. What I want is to take
quiet parts of the clip and raise them very high. But I need to also
"keep" the loud sounds the same volume in the clip. When I normalize,
it uses dynamic compression to take care of the sounds that get too
loud.

No, it does not. Normalize doesn't use ANY compression,
dynamic or otherwise, not in any conventional usage of the
term.

Normalize simply adjusts the level of the entire track or
selection so that some arbitrarily selected level is now
at some reference level. In doing so, it adjust ALL sounds,
loud and soft, by the same factor.

For example, if you decide you want to normalize the
peak level in track to -3dB ref, and the loudest peak
in the entire selection is at -12, then EVERYTHING in
the track is boosted by 9 dB. The stuff at -12 dB is
boosted by 9 dB so that -12db + 9dB = -3 dB, and
-27 dB + 9 dB = -18 dB, and -51 dB + 9 dB = -42dB.
No compression happens of any kind: notice that
while everything is boosted, the relative levels between
them remain the same.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
I want to take a clip and silence the music in it and bring forth the
background sound (the talking, walking, etc...). Like say if there
was a theme playing, and a bunch of people were getting on a bus, I
want the sounds with the bus and remove the music to as low as
possible.

People have been trying to figure out how to do this for over
80 years and no solution yet. Don't hold your breath waiting.

Another thing, I need help with Normalizing. What I want is to take
quiet parts of the clip and raise them very high. But I need to also
"keep" the loud sounds the same volume in the clip. When I normalize,
it uses dynamic compression to take care of the sounds that get too
loud.

I do this by "selective normalizing" where I hand-select the parts
which don't include the loud transients for normalization.

For example, lets say there's a movie where people are firing
gunshots. There is talking amongst the people firing. If I apply a
normalize, I can bring forth the voices fine, but then the gunshots
would be muffled because of dynamic compression.

I want to keep the gunshots at the same volume and bring forth the
quiet background noise.

The other (more automated) solution is limiting or clipping the
loud transients when you bring up the softer parts of the audio.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] jimmy.desiderio@gmail.com is offline

Thanks will have a look.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
D Parker D Parker is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Dont listen to these guys, of course you can do it.. All you need is a flux
capacitor and a Delorean. Pop back in time to the studio and patch a line
off the original mixer. Done! Record it on laptop and email it back to
yourself in the future- the technology will mess with the heads of everyone
in the studio. hehhe... . ( sorry I couldnt help myself)

Now, on a serious note. Guys have been trying to do this for years without
success. The person who creates the program to do it will be worth a
fortune.

As far as normalising goes. The simplest idea would be to record another gun
shot over the muffled one to compensate. Good luck

Perhaps telling us the reason you want to do it, may also spur some other
suggestions.

DP