Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil[_5_] Phil[_5_] is offline

Default Mp3/WMA/CD playback from a PC in 5.1 via SPDIF

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchase a soundblaster liver 24 bit USB external card and
a Yamaha HTR-6060 receiver.
I hooked up the sound card to my receiver using an SPDIF connector and
sound comes trought no problem but.

If I play a movie encoded in 5.1 audio or Above, my receiver will
automatically detect that and decode the sound accordingly troughout
my setup.

If I attempt to play any other other media, CD/WMA/Mp3 from my
existing collection, I only get 2.0 sound, the woofer does not even
kick in. If I turn on the enhancers on the the receiver, then sound
comes from everywhere, but you can tell that something is "not right"
with the audio quality, especially compared to movies.

In the actual software set up for creative (and windows control panel,
both are linked) As soon as I force Digital output only, my choices
are limited (from a software perspective) to 2.1 audio, and if I
test , it works fine in 2.1 (keep in mind that even with this setting,
5.1 audio movies still worked fine). If I remove the digital output
only, then the software gives me the ability to choose 5.1 audio and
to perform another test, from that point on, I only get left/right
channels, centre, sub and rears show as testing on the software, but
sound does not come out, so even the test application is not letting
me do this.

I did put my hands on some 5.1 encoded Mp3/AC3 formats, and even with
that, same issues, and tried many other software based players from
the PC.

has anyone come accross something like this ??

AES/SPDIF Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Pro Audio 3 August 21st 06 11:28 PM
AES/SPDIF Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Tech 3 August 21st 06 11:28 PM
SPDIF DAC Dirk Bruere at Neopax Tech 7 January 15th 06 10:56 PM
SPDIF Vivek Kapoor Car Audio 1 June 30th 05 05:07 AM
SPDIF to AES/EBU Charles Robertson, Psy.D. Pro Audio 25 October 25th 03 01:13 PM