Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] dannyzumwalt@gmail.com is offline

Default Looking for a/d/s PQ20 manual and or specifications please + setup problem

I have an a/d/s pq20 amplifier that I have installed in my car. I think
I may have a problem though and wanted to see if someone could post the
specs and the original manual or a link. I have searched and searched.

My problem (if someone could help) is that I also upgraded my head unit
and the new unit has a 5V output (RCA) and I am afraid the PQ20, since
it was made so long ago, cannot handle a high voltage level. I know
there are HU's out there iwth 8V outputs which I personally think is a
bunch of marketting B.S., but nonetheless, the head unit I have has 5V
outputs and I otherwise love it and don't want to have to swap it out
again.

Anyway, I have to turn the gains down on the PQ20 to avoid
clipping/distortion and when I do this, I don't get the volume that I
expected out of my setup. At highway speeds with the windows down for
example, I cannot hear much of anything with the head unit volume at
100% (and the gains on the amp down enough to where it will not clip).
I can listen with the windows up and it is decent volume, but still not
as much as I had expected.

Setup:
a/d/s PQ20 amplifier
front stage: Polk Momo MMC6500 6.5" components in custom pods
rear fill: Boston 4x6 plate speakers
source: Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS

Thanks in advance for the help!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Danny Danny is offline

testing

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

The manual (I sent you a copy) says 45mv to 1.2V for 1 watt output,
which means with gain all the way down 1.2V in = only 1 watt out. I
think you should be able to use that amp with a deck with 5V out if the
gains are set fairly low.

JD

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
digdug digdug is offline

Thank you so much for sending the manual and responding.I guess I do
not fully understand the "Input sensitivity" rating and what it means.
I thought that it meant anything over 1.2V would be too hot for the
amplifier. I see some amplifiers claiming up to 8V input sensitivity,
since new head units have high voltage outputs so I thought that meant
5V would be too much for the PQ20.

Danny

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Danny Danny is offline

In my search to get more volume out of my system (while driving high
speeds) would I benefit from bridging the two channels on my PQ20 to my
two front speakers? Here is my setup:

Front stage:
- Polk 6.5" MMC6500 separates
- 70 W (4 ohm) per speaker from PQ20
Rear fill:
- Boston 4x6 plate speakers
- 70 W (4 ohm) per speaker from PQ20

What if I changed to this:

Front stage:
- 150W (4 ohm) bridged per speaker from PQ20
Rear fill:
- run from head unit

Would I just overdrive my front speakers or would I get more volume and
a nice clean sound? Currently I have the PQ20 gains set around 40% and
can turn the head unit up to around 55 out of 62 before I get any
distortion (eq flat with crossover set at 100hz & 12db slope). The
rears I have cut off at 200hz and 12db slope. I don't get distortion in
lows, just all freq's once I go over 55 on the head unit volume. My
goal is to get more sound out of the speakers without increasing
distortion, but don't know how.

Posted to rec.audio.car
flyfisher55 flyfisher55 is offline

Greetings,
I too need the PQ20 Manual.

Be a prince and send it

--
flyfisher55
Posted to rec.audio.car
BigBob BigBob is offline

If you ask nicely they will email you a PDF

"flyfisher55" wrote in
message ...

Greetings,
I too need the PQ20 Manual.