Default headphone setup

I'm really enjoying the following setup:

CAL Sigma DAC -- Rogue Audio Cronus headphone amp -- AKG K501
headphones

The headphone amp is just an afterthought on the Cronus, which has the
main purpose in life as an integrated preamp/power amp.

Now that I know how much I can enjoy CD's, I'm thinking about looking
for even better equipment. I know I can do better than the CAL Sigma,
as far as a digital source. And there are probably dedicated headphone
amps that are better than the Cronus.

To give some idea of my taste:

I normally like tubes and vinyl. (Which is why I'm so surprised I like
this setup above, and the Cronus is an op-amp circuit.)

I also tried, as headphone amps

the Antique Sound Lab MG-Head (tubed) - the problem is this is quite
colored
and very low resolution compared to the Cronus

Wheatfield HA-2 (tubed, triode) - the highs are hard, which causes a
lot
of listener fatigue

I have tried the Sennheiser HD-600 headphones and I love them, but they
are uncomfortable for me (squeeze too hard and make my ears sweat). I'm
also
thinking about trying the AKG K1000, and the Grados (RS-1, RS-2).

If anyone has ideas about good headphone amps, good headphones and good
digital sources, in the $2000 range (each piece), I'd love to hear
your experiences.

Mike

Update on my search for digital sources--

I went to three stores in LA today, auditioning digital sources. I
finally purchased a Linn Genki--not because I necessarily loved it, but
I just wanted to live with it for a while. I'll sell it on audiogon if
I really get sick of it.

Well, I already have an opinion after an hour of listening (a negative
one).

I see that "pace, rhythm, and timing" has been discussed here before.
Linn products are known for PRAT, according to their fans. I did feel
that the Linn Genki had a pleasant toe-tapping quality that drew me in.
However, after an hour of listening, I realized that this PRAT quality
was extremely monotonous. It felt like a coloration superimposed on the
rhythm.

Curious. I didn't realize that a piece of equipment could have such an
effect on the feeling of the rhythmic dance. In the case of the Linn,
the way I perceived it was a dance that was monotonous--or like
watching an awkward conductor of an orchestra who mainly flapped his
arms but otherwise didn't have any rhythmic subtlety.

My suspicion is this has to do with the way it handles transients. I
experienced transients as "jumping out at me" from the speakers. Going
back to my CAL Sigma II, the transients laid back, and let me enter
into the world of the rhythm out of my own choice.

Any similar experiences? Anyone like the PRAT of the Genki?

Mike