Daniel Winter

Default Mic Stands - Starbird vrs. Atlas

I'm in the market for a high quality mic stand that will hold heavy
expensive mics and suspend them over a drumkit without toppling over.
Something heavy duty that won't strip threads, crack and fall apart easily.

The only two contenders seem to be the:
- Manley Starbird
- Atlas SB-36W

Has anyone had any experience with either that they can share?
The Manley is considerably more expensive so does the cost justify the
quality?

I've already done a search and read previous posts but am still looking for
more feedback before making a purchase as they are not accessible to
compare. Fortunately I'm relying on your help to decide. Thank you.

david

In article , Daniel
Winter wrote:

I'm in the market for a high quality mic stand that will hold heavy
expensive mics and suspend them over a drumkit without toppling over.
Something heavy duty that won't strip threads, crack and fall apart easily.

The only two contenders seem to be the:
- Manley Starbird
- Atlas SB-36W

Has anyone had any experience with either that they can share?
The Manley is considerably more expensive so does the cost justify the
quality?

I've already done a search and read previous posts but am still looking for
more feedback before making a purchase as they are not accessible to
compare. Fortunately I'm relying on your help to decide. Thank you.

Another possibility is to look for a used heavy duty AKG stand that was
available in the 80's. Works great for effortlessly suspending a pair
of 87's over a drumkit. Came with a serious counterweight and strong
locking tripod base. Gets up plenty high for studio use as well.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
LeBaron & Alrich

david wrote:

Another possibility is to look for a used heavy duty AKG stand that was
available in the 80's. Works great for effortlessly suspending a pair
of 87's over a drumkit. Came with a serious counterweight and strong
locking tripod base.

Good stands; I have a pair of those.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
Richard Kuschel

Another possibility is to look for a used heavy duty AKG stand that was
available in the 80's. Works great for effortlessly suspending a pair
of 87's over a drumkit. Came with a serious counterweight and strong
locking tripod base. Gets up plenty high for studio use as well.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

I believe that they are still available.

Built by K&M

I have a pair of them and trust them for any of my microphones.

Richard H. Kuschel
david

In article , Richard
Kuschel wrote:

Another possibility is to look for a used heavy duty AKG stand that was
available in the 80's. Works great for effortlessly suspending a pair
of 87's over a drumkit. Came with a serious counterweight and strong
locking tripod base. Gets up plenty high for studio use as well.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

I believe that they are still available.

Built by K&M

I have a pair of them and trust them for any of my microphones.

Richard H. Kuschel

The heavy duty model they sell now is not the same (or as heavy duty)
as the 80's version, unfortunately. Click "Proline" and then "Overhead"
if you use the following link to see the current product:

http://www.k-m.de/D/Katalog/mikrofon/5index.asp?spr=EN

Since we're talking mic stands, everyone who doesn't should def know
about Black Audio Devices.

http://www.blackaudio.com/

Very nice people and a great source when your stand needs a little tlc.
They also sell a heavy duty stand but it is for getting mics up high,
they do not recommend using a boom with their heavy duty stand.

http://www.blackaudio.com/specord.htm

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

Richard Kuschel

In article , Richard
Kuschel wrote:

[...]

You're Right!

I hadn't been in the search for such a stand, since I already have two of them.

The ones that I have (From 90's) are much heavier, larger knobs, though the
boom may be the same.

Richard H. Kuschel
Fletcher

Daniel Winter wrote:

I'm in the market for a high quality mic stand that will hold heavy
expensive mics and suspend them over a drumkit without toppling over.
Something heavy duty that won't strip threads, crack and fall apart easily.

The only two contenders seem to be the:
- Manley Starbird
- Atlas SB-36W

There is another contender about to come to market... "Latchlake Music". They
sent me a sample and the engineering drawing for their stuff... and I have to
say it's seriously impressive. The "clutches" are the best I've ever seen
[very innovative, I believe they're either patented or patent applied for], the
rest is very heavy duty, extremely well thought out... overall... a superior
example of mic stand engineering.

I have no idea what they're going to run nor where you can buy them... but do
know they will be sharing space at the AES show with Great River Electronics
and Josephson Microphones... so I'm sure the information will be available
then. If you can hold off for like 6 weeks... I would strongly recommend that
you do so.

Best of luck with it.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Ron Charles

Go with the K&M German made stands. The boom stands are just $24 each where
I live and none of the 24 we own have ever been broken or stripeed, even
with heavy tube mics and shockmounts on the tips.
[...]

Geoley

"Daniel Winter" wrote in message
. ..
I'm in the market for a high quality mic stand that will hold heavy
expensive mics and suspend them over a drumkit without toppling over.
Something heavy duty that won't strip threads, crack and fall apart

easily.

The only two contenders seem to be the:
- Manley Starbird
- Atlas SB-36W

Has anyone had any experience with either that they can share?
The Manley is considerably more expensive so does the cost justify the
quality?

I've already done a search and read previous posts but am still looking

for
more feedback before making a purchase as they are not accessible to
compare. Fortunately I'm relying on your help to decide. Thank you.

I just recently bought a very heavy duty and to my eyes well contructed mic
stand made in China to support my Jecklin Disk. The brand name is "Ghost"
and it has a wheeled tripod base and is really overkill for my needs. I paid
$345.00 for it and it looks like it could hold a Mack truck. I got it from
http://www.tbkmics.com Just my 2¢

Geoley

Roger W. Norman

You can check at a local video and film equipment store for some really nice
stands that typically have to handle more weight than a mic stand would
normally have to withstand. I believe JnyVee and I were down at a local
store where they had some pretty good heavy duty stands, with casters, and
had the available fittings for using it as a mic stand, all for about $109
US. I believe and Atlas or Starbird are far more expensive than that.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Daniel Winter" wrote in message
. ..
I'm in the market for a high quality mic stand that will hold heavy
expensive mics and suspend them over a drumkit without toppling over.
Something heavy duty that won't strip threads, crack and fall apart

easily.

The only two contenders seem to be the:
- Manley Starbird
- Atlas SB-36W

Has anyone had any experience with either that they can share?
The Manley is considerably more expensive so does the cost justify the
quality?

I've already done a search and read previous posts but am still looking

for
more feedback before making a purchase as they are not accessible to
compare. Fortunately I'm relying on your help to decide. Thank you.

Scott Dorsey

Daniel Winter wrote:
I'm in the market for a high quality mic stand that will hold heavy
expensive mics and suspend them over a drumkit without toppling over.
Something heavy duty that won't strip threads, crack and fall apart easily.

The only two contenders seem to be the:
- Manley Starbird
- Atlas SB-36W

These are not the only games in town. Call Wes Dooley at AEA. He has a
very wide line of stands out there.

Has anyone had any experience with either that they can share?

They are both not bad, although the Atlas today is much flimsier than
it was 25 years ago.

The Manley is considerably more expensive so does the cost justify the
quality?

Yes, the Starbird is amazing. But it is serious overkill if you are just
working with a drumkit. If you need to boom an orchestra, though, the
Starbird is the way to go.

I've already done a search and read previous posts but am still looking for
more feedback before making a purchase as they are not accessible to
compare. Fortunately I'm relying on your help to decide. Thank you.

Call Wes Dooley and ask what he's got. He'll probably be willing to loan
you stuff for testing if you'll pay freight.

Question about Speaker Stands or Mounts jon s. Audio Opinions 2 March 4th 04 04:30 PM
Question about Speaker Stands or Mounts jon s. General 0 March 2nd 04 01:12 PM
Stands for Quad ESL57's Rolf&Dorthe Siggaard High End Audio 0 February 16th 04 04:15 PM
Sound Anchor Stands news General 1 January 9th 04 11:46 PM
Needed; Starbird Mic Stand Pictures (original) Mike Rivers Pro Audio 4 July 12th 03 11:09 PM