Codifus

Default All this BOSE bashing . . .let me buck the trend a bit

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

CD
Laurence Payne

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:18:38 -0400, Codifus
wrote:

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

Is Bose car audio very VERY expensive?

Hey! you don't need to apologize for what you like.

C- [Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:18:38 -0400]:
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

If you seek the approval of numbskulls with a bent on
disparaging anything and everything only because another
numbskull does, you are in need of some serious get-away
time. Cut your internet connection NOW!

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs
Pooh Bear

Codifus wrote:

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

Is it Bose in a Corvette ? If so, my friend thinks it's great.

Graham

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

They also make very high quality noise-cancelling headphones for use
in aircraft, but these here debates tend to centre around their
domestic audio products. You might indeed argue that the proven
engineering expertise of Bose in the OEM car audio and
professional/military markets makes their domestic offerings an even
*more* cynical exercise in ripping off their main customer base.

Stewart Pinkerton

wrote:

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

Is Bose car audio very VERY expensive?

A 450 quid option for Audis which gives you powerful amplifiers, new
drive units and dedicated equalisers on every channel, plus a volume
control linked to road speed? Perhaps not very expensive at all.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:18:25 +0100, Pooh Bear
wrote:

Codifus wrote:

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

Is it Bose in a Corvette ? If so, my friend thinks it's great.

Or you can have Harman-Kardon in a Jaguar XK8, Mark Levinson in a
Lexus, and Linn in an Aston Martin Vanquish................

Laurence Payne

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 05:59:08 +0000 (UTC), Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

Is Bose car audio very VERY expensive?

A 450 quid option for Audis which gives you powerful amplifiers, new
drive units and dedicated equalisers on every channel, plus a volume
control linked to road speed? Perhaps not very expensive at all.

Not as bad as I had feared ;-)
Geoff Wood

Codifus wrote:
While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a
function of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like
Bose car audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes
very well in the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What
say you all?

I think cars are a place where audio rules no longer apply. Car music
players should have compressor controls. Bose may make a car player that
works OK, but I wouldn't encourage the sphynctoric company by donating any
of my funds.

geoff

Geoff Wood

wrote:

Codifus wrote:

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a
function of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do
like Bose car audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound
bodes very well in the compromise audio environment of the
automobile. What say you all?

Is it Bose in a Corvette ? If so, my friend thinks it's great.

Or you can have Harman-Kardon in a Jaguar XK8, Mark Levinson in a
Lexus, and Linn in an Aston Martin Vanquish............

I'd rather have Kumin-Hardon.

geoff.

Arny Krueger

"Codifus" wrote in message

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a
function of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like
Bose car audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes
very well in the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What
say you all?

Speaking from Detroit, and with intimate knowlege of their technology and
how they sell it...

Technologically, Bose are very good. Let's say that they ply the Detroit OEM
trade with a lot of confidence. Business-wise I give them credit for
controlling the sound quality of their product right into the consumer's
hands. In general, names like Bose end up in cars without much thought by
top Detroit management, for sound quality. They think that all audio is the
same and that consumers are going to perceive the brand name more than
anything inherent in the audio product.

Alan Peterman

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:00:59 +0000 (UTC), Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

Or you can have Harman-Kardon in a Jaguar XK8, Mark Levinson in a
Lexus, and Linn in an Aston Martin Vanquish................

And McIntosh in Subaru!

Kevin McMurtrie

Codifus wrote:

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

CD

Compared to the factory system, you're spending 5x on the audio system.
Bose then spends 1.5x on the hardware. Yes, it sounds much better.
Factory audio is made from the cheapest hardware that can survive for 8
years. That doesn't mean that the Bose system was a good deal. Other
aftermarket systems would be far better for less money.
Nousaine

"Carl Valle" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Kevin McMurtrie

Codifus wrote:

While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a

function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

CD

Compared to the factory system, you're spending 5x on the audio system.
Bose then spends 1.5x on the hardware. Yes, it sounds much better.
Factory audio is made from the cheapest hardware that can survive for 8
years. That doesn't mean that the Bose system was a good deal. Other
aftermarket systems would be far better for less money.

nousaine said;

This last statement is simply not true. I've tested about 500 OEM concept,
prototype and production vehicles over the past 5 years and over the past

15
years hundreds of aftermarket speaker and full autosound systems and quite
frankly only a handful of carefully assembled and installed afrermarket

systems
sound as good as, let alone better, the best Bose premium systems and

those
that match cost thousands more.

You did what?
Who are you and where can these reviews be found?
Carl

None of these were "reviews"like you'd find on-line. The aftermarket full
systems were results of my judging at IASCA events and my personal coverage of
aftermarket systems evaluated at SMWTMS and PSACS events. The aftermarket
speaker reviews can found by searching Mobile Entertainment (Car Stereo Review;
prior to that starting in 1988 and continuing to this day.) As for home audio
products and systems I've been covering those in magazines such as The $ensible
Sound, Audio, Stereo Review, Video, Sound & Image, The Audio Critic and most
lately Sound & Vision.

Then to move to OEM autosound systems I've tested about 500 of them as a
trained listener for DLC Design, a 3rd party evaluative service that specalizes
in testing OEM autosound systems beginning in 1999. Prior to that I had a
column in Car Stereo Review "Taking Stock" that covered OEM autosound systems.
Arny Krueger

"Carl Valle" wrote in message
. com

You did what?

What he said.

Who are you

Figuratively Carl, Tom's your daddy.

and where can these reviews be found?

Ever hear of google, Carl?

No, I didn't think so. Go back to RAO where you belong with the rest of
Gindi's sockpuppets. ;-(

Chad Wahls

"Nousaine" wrote in message
None of these were "reviews"like you'd find on-line. The aftermarket full
systems were results of my judging at IASCA events and my personal
coverage of
aftermarket systems evaluated at SMWTMS and PSACS events.

Tom, Is PSACS still alive? I'm off the road and getting back into
construction again, may wander over some time for a meeting and join up!

Chad Wahls

Codifus

Nousaine wrote:
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

In article ,
Codifus wrote:

[...]

This has been my observation, although it's a whole lot less experienced
one. In order to put in a better aftermarket system than Bose, you
really have to spend the big bucks, and, more importantly, do the
homework to fine tune all those aftermarket components to your car.
There's nothing off the shelf that will work optimally in your Cadillac,
Mercedez Benz, Acura etc.
The biggest advantage to Bose in the car is the fact they get to tune
the system to the acoustical properties of that particualr vehicle. I
really wish I could buy a whole system from Clarion, JVC, or whomever
that was built for my car, but that ain't gonna happen. And so what if
the Bose system only last 8 years and they use paper. Yes, there are
more modern materials out there but paper sounds good, it's even been
said that paper has a more neutral tone than the likes of polypropelyne
etc. I haven't seen car speakers made of Kevlar yet, but if they do
make 'em, you can bet they'll be pricey, pricier than even a Bose
system. Also, since when do people keep their cars for 8 years now? I'm
not knocking people who own cars for the long run, after all I'm one of
them. But given that most cars are leased for 3 years at most, the Bose
system will outlast most owners.
Having said all that I will admitt that the Bose systems, when compared
to aftermarket, does tend to that middle ground, or as that
popular phrase goes, no highs, no lows, must be Bose. To clarify what
I've heard is that the Bose car systems maybe needed a slightly better
tweeter up top. They've had plenty of bass, but the the speakers driving
the bass tend to be too small for the job and over-load quickly. Overall
though, the balance of the sound coming from the entire system makes it
very hard to beat, and the balance is key. Other systems which have
better highs and lowere lows usually don't have the balance unless you
spends thousands. I've heard Bose in the Mercedes E class, Nissan
Maximas, the C4 Corvette, and found them very enjoyable.

CD

TonyP

"Codifus" wrote in message
Also, since when do people keep their cars for 8 years now? I'm
not knocking people who own cars for the long run, after all I'm one of
them. But given that most cars are leased for 3 years at most, the Bose
system will outlast most owners.

I don't think many owners actually scrap their cars after 3 years. They
expect things to work so they can sell it, and the new owner expects things
to work for a while longer.

How about comparing Bose inbuilt car sound to the in built car sound of
other manufacturers like Mark Levison, JBL etc.
The problem for most people though is that they buy the car they want and
option whatever sound the car manufacturer chose, not the other way around.

TonyP.

Nousaine

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

In article ,

says...
While I tend to agree with most that Bose in the home is more a function
of marketing genius than good engineering, I really do like Bose car
audio. I think the 'compromise' engineering in sound bodes very well in
the compromise audio environment of the automobile. What say you all?

They still use cheap parts that break down much sooner than an after market
component would.
------------
Alex

This is a common misconception. Bose does not make any head-units and the
Delphi (GM) heads are among the longest lived and most reliable you can buy.
Also have the best radios.

The Bose amplifiers/EQ/speakers are subject to the same reliability constraints
as all OEM parts which in turn are far more stringent than aftermarket
products.

I've put 250k miles on 4 GM/Bose systems over the past decade with not a single
failure. '93 Camaro Z28 (car is still being used by new owner and with 160k on
it the Bose system is still functional; '94 Corvette Coupe (didn't have Bose
system but I acquired a Bose head from Delco and installed that)' ''95 Coupe
which had 120k on the odometer and had been driven year-round in rust belt
winters for 6 seasons was swapped in '01 for a 2001 Coupe which now has 60k.
I've had no Bose or other audio failures associated with the factory premium
system.

Just for added detail these cars were all used as the test-mule for my speaker
testing of aftermarket speaker systems for Car Stereo Review and Mobile
Entertainment. Most of the aftermarket testing was done with the vehicle
sitting in one of my garage bays. The Bose systems were removed for every test
and reinstalled after each test; so not only have the Delphi/Bose systems had
no problems with surviving rust belt winters they have also been able to
withstand significant handling and dozens of installations. All with no
failures. All with better fm reception than any aftermarket radio (except
perhaps for one Blaupunk head which was on a par.)
Geoff Wood

Nousaine wrote:
can
get the best sound out of the cheap components they use.

You seem to be confusing economical with 'cheap.' The components used
in Bose systems (speakers/EQ/amplification) are at least equivalent
to aftermarket systems and often far more advanced in an engineering
sense.

The front grille assembly on a 902 (?) is the flimsy piece of lightweight
plastic junk I've touched in years.

geoff

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:34:32 +1200, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

Nousaine wrote:
can
get the best sound out of the cheap components they use.

You seem to be confusing economical with 'cheap.' The components used
in Bose systems (speakers/EQ/amplification) are at least equivalent
to aftermarket systems and often far more advanced in an engineering
sense.

The front grille assembly on a 902 (?) is the flimsy piece of lightweight
plastic junk I've touched in years.

We are not talking about the domestic crap, but about
factory-installed Bose upgrades for car audio.

TonyP

"Nousaine" wrote in message
Just for added detail these cars were all used as the test-mule for my

speaker
testing of aftermarket speaker systems for Car Stereo Review and Mobile
Entertainment. Most of the aftermarket testing was done with the vehicle
sitting in one of my garage bays. The Bose systems were removed for every

test
and reinstalled after each test; so not only have the Delphi/Bose systems

had
no problems with surviving rust belt winters they have also been able to
withstand significant handling and dozens of installations. All with no
failures. All with better fm reception than any aftermarket radio (except
perhaps for one Blaupunk head which was on a par.)

So what you're saying is that GM/Delphi make a good component rather than
Bose. Do they use the same head unit for the non-Bose audio system?

TonyP.

Geoff Wood

-nospam wrote:

Nousaine wrote:
can
get the best sound out of the cheap components they use.

You seem to be confusing economical with 'cheap.' The components
used in Bose systems (speakers/EQ/amplification) are at least
equivalent to aftermarket systems and often far more advanced in an
engineering sense.

The front grille assembly on a 902 (?) is the flimsy piece of
lightweight plastic junk I've touched in years.

We are not talking about the domestic crap, but about
factory-installed Bose upgrades for car audio.

Maybe it wasn't 902 then. The one that people try to use for 'professional'
PAs with BOSE across the front in white and two port holes - cetainly not
domestic. But not automotive either, but I suppose one could .....

geoff.

Arny Krueger

"TonyP" wrote in message
"Nousaine" wrote in message
Just for added detail these cars were all used as the test-mule for
my speaker testing of aftermarket speaker systems for Car Stereo
Review and Mobile Entertainment. Most of the aftermarket testing was
done with the vehicle sitting in one of my garage bays. The Bose
systems were removed for every test and reinstalled after each test;
so not only have the Delphi/Bose systems had no problems with
surviving rust belt winters they have also been able to withstand
significant handling and dozens of installations. All with no
failures. All with better fm reception than any aftermarket radio
(except perhaps for one Blaupunk head which was on a par.)

So what you're saying is that GM/Delphi make a good component rather
than Bose.

No, its a combination of ingredients. The fact that Bose car audio is really
pretty good may be a big hard rock to swallow, but its generally accepted
among people who are properly informed and relatively unbiased experts about
car audio. Bose's contribution can't be discounted.

Do they use the same head unit for the non-Bose audio system?

AFAIK, yes. These days head units are told by the chassis of the car what
the rest of the car audio system is composed of, and they adjust themselves
(built-in parametric eq and the like) accordingly, every time they are
powered up.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:11:40 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"TonyP" wrote in message
. au
"Nousaine" wrote in message
[...]

Yup, I used to have great fun telling 'high end' people that I had a
$40,000 Bose audio system............. :-)

Didn't get the Bose upgrade in my current Audi A6, and while the stock
system is pretty good, the Bose in the old car was definitely better!

Nousaine

"Nousaine" wrote in message
[...]

Bose does not make head-units. But because their speakers are all powered with
thier own EQ every speaker evaluation required removing all the Bose
compoenents in the system each time. It is true that the am/fm performance has
nothing to do with the Bose parts of the system.

The specific parts that get removed and reinstalled are the speaker/amp units,
grilles and associated wiring harness. But again I've removed/reinstalled the
bose speaker modules in 4 Bose equipped GM cars literallt dozens of times and
driven these vehicles over 300,000 miles in rust-belt weather without a single
component failure. The parts of these systems that has been subject to the
most wear/tear are the body/trim fasteners.