Restored Antique Radios FS

Old March 13th 10, 07:18 AM posted to rec.audio.tubes
Patrick Turner

Default Restored Antique Radios FS

On Mar 6, 1:07*pm, "Keith Park" > wrote:
> Restored Antique Radios FS
>
> http://www.a383ina68.addr.com/radiorest/main.htm
>
> ANOTHER BLACK DIAL ZENITH JUST POSTED!

I can see that you probably spend zillions of hours farnarkling around
with the radios you have there.
Here I do get a few old radios and radio-grams in for a complete re-
wire and restoration but not as often as it was 5 years ago.
I really don't encourage ppl to have me spend time on tubed radios
because invariably they cannot afford real tradesman's wages equal to
a mainstream electrician or plumber who earn about +15dB above most
audio/radio techs. Its satisfying to restore a radio but then what is
there to listen to? Here most commercial stations are all networked
and have played to death old rock and roll hits plus adds plus dumb
talkback.

But the local government owned stations have real good content so its
worth having an AM radio just for the two here in my town.

If ever these AM station are moved to FM when Digital Radio gets here
then there would be zero need to have an AM radio unless one likes
something nice + old to look at.

I sometimes cheat a bit during restorations by removing horrible
circuit design which always sounded bad and putting in a better
circuit for the detector and audio stages. In Radiograms I have
sometimes chucked out the terrible turntable made in 1955 with ceramic
cart and installed a 1970's TT for magnetic cart plus a box with solid
state preamp with proper RIAA eq.
I always keep the tubed audio amps but tweak them to give less
distortions and hum. Sometimes I'll add a 3 way switch for radio, gram
and CD PLAYER.
People then can play an LP or CD and enjoy the nostalgia and time warp
of going back to 1960, but then be able to hear an LP slightly better
than it really played back then when ppl needed to be a bit drunk
before such old junk seemed to sound OK.

The old tubed radios which have been most difficult to restore have
often been the Grundigs and other European radios with LW, MW, SW, FM
mono, plus record player inputs, 3 way speaker systems including an ES
tweeter, and a whole array of buttons for different EQ. Usually these
sets were very good on AM but the FM band back then was a slightly
lower band of F so the oscillator has to be tweaked up to receive
modern stations between 88Mc and 108Mc.
Often the FM was not so good because the number of tubes were kept to
an absolute minimum.
The schematics for these old sets were hard to find, and very
complex.

There is nothing like well done french polish.

Patrick Turner.