Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

Default Easy way to test speakers?

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" arnyk hotpop.com wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenet.love.invalid wrote in message
news:Xns9745147A6A9ADfollydom 207.115.17.102

There are lots of 2.1 speaker systems. Sounds like good
innovation to me. If base is nondirectional, why have bass
speakers in both cabinets? (Note: I'm not arguing that the
typical 2.1 speaker set includes a good bass speaker.)

A 2.1 speaker system hasn't been an innovation for more than 40
years. The first commercial 2.1 system I am aware of was
marketed by Weathers in the late 1950s.
http://www.ce.org/Press/CEA_Pubs/864.asp "In the late 1950s,
Paul Weathers developed and marketed the first consumer
subwoofer/satellite system, a configuration allowing for a pair
of small, unobtrusive stereo speakers and a larger, hideaway
subwoofer that delivered low-bass sound. Today, the sub/sat
configuration is an industry standard."

Maybe the concept was developed over 40 years ago.

And reiterated many times since.

For just one example, these guys have been doing sub/sats since
the mid-70s:

http://www.mksound.com/timeline.htm

Who did the marketing?

At the time the Weathers Sub/Sat speakers were advertised in the
major audio magazines, demoed in stores, and listed in the major
catalogs.

Well, umm, okay. I'll take your word for it.

In my hi-fi days, I don't recall seeing any 2.1 speaker systems
in stores.

I dunno which stores you visited

Stores that sell hi-fi speakers.

Did they sell subwoofers?

but I've seen sub/sats in many stores and/or catalogs every decade
since the 50s. I built my first one in the 70s.

I guess I missed it. However, after taking a quick look, apparently
floor standing speakers are pretty much all still multiway speakers
including woofers and are sold in singles or pairs. That appears to
be true with bookshelf speakers as well, which are sold in pairs.

What evolved is that sub-sat systems were often sold as independent
satellites that doubled as the only speakers in a small or medium system.
The subwoofer was sold separately, as an upgrade.

Recently zillions of sub/sat systems have been sold as HTIB and PC speakers.

Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
Best way to connect multiple Speakers? Kevin Killebrew Vacuum Tubes 11 April 29th 05 04:02 AM
Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!! lcw999 High End Audio 405 April 29th 04 01:27 AM
audio coax cable JYC High End Audio 239 January 18th 04 08:12 PM
Richman's ethical lapses Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 9 December 12th 03 08:16 AM