Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default I need surround sound card advice please.

I am building a Media PC and I'm trying to figure out the best sound
card to buy. The PC I'm building is going to have a DVD-ROM and 200
GB HDD. I am going to install a TV-PVR card so that I can record
favorite TV programs. I plan on ripping most of my DVD collection to
the HDD (about 25 - 30 classics) so that I can watch them any time.
I will not be doing any gaming on the media PC.

My big question is What Sound Card Do I Want?

I have a surround sound (RCA receiver) system that handles my current
set-top DVD player as well as video game consoles. I would like to run
the media PC to the surround sound receiver. Most of the 5.1 or better
sound cards have several outputs, which I assume is if you buy a
separate set of surround sound speakers for your PC. How do I get all
those outputs into one digital line to plug into my receiver or into
the RCA jacks to plug into my receiver? Is there a cable that adapts
the multiple outputs on the sound card to plug into the receiver? Will
this method retain the true digital surround sound? If not, do I have
to find a sound card specifically designed for going to a receiver?
I'm no stranger to building PCs but I am in relatively uncharted
waters here and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have about $50 - 75 to spend. I'm not sure yet if I'll be
running Win XP Pro or Windows Media Center. Depends on the cost of
either of those operating systems. I figure I'll want a PCI card
(opposed to ISA). If there is an affordable USB option I would also
consider that as well; but I would like to keep the amount of set-top
clutter to a minimum.

Thanks,

-Lydokane-