Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] Nasty350LT1@gmail.com is offline

Default Broken wire in a Bose 901

I have (4) Bose 901's w/pedestals, the 1801 quadrophonic amplifier the
whole nine yards, that I purchased new in 1975 for a mind blowing
price of $1776 a Bicentennial Sale in Okinawa, Japan while I was
stationed in the Marines on Camp Hansen.

I have enbjoyed the sound of this system for 32 years now, performs
flawlessly.

I also purchased a set of 301' and a set of 101's to compliment them.

I have been hooked on BOSE for a very long time.

My problem, I have a wire hanging on by one or 2 strands where my
"Monster Cable" connects on the bottom side of one of my 901's at the
connector.

How do I open up a Bose 901 and slip inside to re-solder this wire ???

Any help would be appreciated.

I called BOSE and they said sorry, we don't service anything that old.

Dave

Posted to rec.audio.pro

It's been 30+ years since I owned 901s. (That's a subtle hint.) I don't
remember all the details about their construction, but I do remember that
the grilles are held on by Velcro. You should be able to pull off the rear
grille and remove one of the drivers to access the terminal board.

I can't believe Bose would refuse to perform such a simple repair.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
g g is offline

In article . com, wrote:
I have (4) Bose 901's w/pedestals, the 1801 quadrophonic amplifier the
whole nine yards, that I purchased new in 1975 for a mind blowing
price of $1776 a Bicentennial Sale in Okinawa, Japan while I was
stationed in the Marines on Camp Hansen.

I have enbjoyed the sound of this system for 32 years now, performs
flawlessly.

I also purchased a set of 301' and a set of 101's to compliment them.

I have been hooked on BOSE for a very long time.

My problem, I have a wire hanging on by one or 2 strands where my
"Monster Cable" connects on the bottom side of one of my 901's at the
connector.

How do I open up a Bose 901 and slip inside to re-solder this wire ???

Any help would be appreciated.

I called BOSE and they said sorry, we don't service anything that old.

I think you probably own the older cloth surround speakers, since
you would have gone throuh at least two sets of surrounds on the newer
speakers. The covers can be removed. I forget if there is any hot glue,
but you should see little staples which need removed. Its
probably easier to work from the back taking out a couple drivers.
There is lots of sealing clay and fiberglass to contend with. Most all of the
connections are wire wrapped. If its a new model, I don't know how you
get past the individual plastic sections. The old models are entirely
open inside and no ports.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I have (4) Bose 901's w/pedestals, the 1801 quadrophonic amplifier the
whole nine yards, that I purchased new in 1975 for a mind blowing
price of $1776 a Bicentennial Sale in Okinawa, Japan while I was
stationed in the Marines on Camp Hansen.

I'm sorry.

My problem, I have a wire hanging on by one or 2 strands where my
"Monster Cable" connects on the bottom side of one of my 901's at the
connector.

How do I open up a Bose 901 and slip inside to re-solder this wire ???

Pull a driver or two out, then put your hands into the box from there.
Wear latex gloves or you will be itchy for weeks afterward.

Any help would be appreciated.

I called BOSE and they said sorry, we don't service anything that old.

That's strange, Bose is actually very good about supporting older products.
And they do still have those awful paper drivers available for the 901s.

I don't think you really have any speakers at all, I think you are a troll
hoping to start a flame war.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
anahata anahata is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
I don't think you really have any speakers at all, I think you are a troll
hoping to start a flame war.

You spotted the reference to the monster cable too?

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"anahata" wrote ...
Scott Dorsey wrote:
I don't think you really have any speakers at all, I think you are a
troll hoping to start a flame war.

You spotted the reference to the monster cable too?

If you are saying that all Moster Cable users are trolls,
I can buy into that. There seems to be an extraordinarily
high correlatoin.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

anahata wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
I don't think you really have any speakers at all, I think you are a troll
hoping to start a flame war.

You spotted the reference to the monster cable too?

Not even necessary. Mention of the Bose 901 is sufficient.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Oct 10, 6:51 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
anahata wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
I don't think you really have any speakers at all, I think you are a troll
hoping to start a flame war.

You spotted the reference to the monster cable too?

Not even necessary. Mention of the Bose 901 is sufficient.

Hey, the wide dispersion pattern is a feature, not a bug! I think
some people just like a diffuse, indirect but pleasant sound better
than accurate audio with good stereo imaging that is sometimes in your
face. C'est La Vie.
Ok I did buy a pair of Bose 800's that were dead cheap, and they
work well for speech and vocals with the dedicated EQ through
the old Hafler 2400 I had lying around (the 800's were a "pro" model
of the 901's IIRC, w/ more power handling...)
They aren't terribly efficient speakers though.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro

WillStG wrote:

Hey, the wide dispersion pattern is a feature, not a bug! I think
some people just like a diffuse, indirect but pleasant sound better
than accurate audio with good stereo imaging that is sometimes in your
face. C'est La Vie.

Oh, there are surely places for that. And the Bose 801 is about the only
hard-to-kill PA speaker that has such wide dispersion, so there are actually
some applications for it.

My issues are more with tonality than imaging.

Ok I did buy a pair of Bose 800's that were dead cheap, and they
work well for speech and vocals with the dedicated EQ through
the old Hafler 2400 I had lying around (the 800's were a "pro" model
of the 901's IIRC, w/ more power handling...)
They aren't terribly efficient speakers though.

No, but they don't honk like horns do, which is a good thing. If only
they didn't screw up the top end so badly, though.
mariarayan mariarayan is offline
Junior Member

it is terrible that even Bose would refuse do simple repair to something they manufacturered even if it is new

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post