Michael Volow

Default Kenwood KRV7080 awful bass-why?

I have had a Kenwood KRV7080 receiver since 1996. It replaced a 1970 Sansui
2000A which died.

By and large, the bass response of the receiver has been extremely
disappointing, apparently worse than my 1970 Sansui. I listen mostly to jazz
and like to hear the woody quality of the acoustic bass fiddle as it is
plucked. However, this quality seems largely absent from this receiver,
whether the source is vinyl, CDs or cassette tape. In fact it makes the
acoustic bass sound as featureless as an electric bass.

The receiver is driving two 1970 vintage Advent 8 ohm speakers which seem
to be functioning OK. The receiver output is set for 8 ohm speakers.

Is this unit known to have poor bass? Or could there be some configuration,
impedence, or hardware incompatibility contributing to this? Do I just need
a different receiver? I am not currently using the surround sound capability
of the unit.

Any advice would be appreciated.