Harry Lavo

Default FA: Rare Dual 701 on eBay...ends Sunday night

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ESSE%3AIT&rd=1
--

Harry

Ron

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 03:01:11 GMT, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ESSE%3AIT&rd=1

I am curious... Why do you feel that a 'rare' piece is somehow more
desireable. If anything, it's highly disadvantageous: replacement
parts are also rare, service is difficult to find and the fact that
it's rare means that most such units have already died long ago.

The 701 was a nice turtable for it's time but any that still remain
are living on borrowed time.

-- Ron

Ron

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:34:22 GMT, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

Utterly reliable and built like a brick s---house.

Well then, if so, how come it's rare? This was a fairely popular TT in
its time.

Harry

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ESSE%3AIT&rd=1

I am curious... Why do you feel that a 'rare' piece is somehow more
desireable. If anything, it's highly disadvantageous: replacement
parts are also rare, service is difficult to find and the fact that
it's rare means that most such units have already died long ago.

The 701 was a nice turtable for it's time but any that still remain
are living on borrowed time.

-- Ron

Harry Lavo

Ron -

You sure you are not confusing the 701 with the remainder of the 700 series,
which followed several years later...the 704, 714, and 721 were very popular
manual and semi-automatic tables in the late '70's. The 701 cost $400 when
introduced in mid '70's and was a pretty specialized table with nothing else
in that price range at the time except audiophile turntables.

Harry

wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ESSE%3AIT&rd=1

I am curious... Why do you feel that a 'rare' piece is somehow more
desireable. If anything, it's highly disadvantageous: replacement
parts are also rare, service is difficult to find and the fact that
it's rare means that most such units have already died long ago.

The 701 was a nice turtable for it's time but any that still remain
are living on borrowed time.

-- Ron

Ron

Actually, I owned a 701 for several years, until replaced with a Revox
B791 in 1980 or so. The 701 was an excellent TT for the price.
Two of my friends also bought one and several stores in the Boston
area carried it. over the years, I repaired several 701s, brought in
by neighbors. It wasn't as ubiquitous as, say, the 1214, but not
exactly rare, either.

But what I was responding to was your assumption that rarity is a
selling point. It may be, for collectors; but for people that buy a TT
simply to use it, rarity is (or should be) a deterrant.

-- Ron