Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

Default Headphone shopping, again

I'm shopping for headphones, again, and I'm looking for suggestions
(again).

My now-broken headphones are Sennheiser HDsomething (220, maybe?), and I
never particularly liked them. I find the construction poor (the ratchet
that sets the headband size has been broken since they were fairly new, the
covering on the headband pad is disintegrating all over everything, the
screw-on 1/4"-3.5mm adapter came apart and nobody else's fits right, little
stuff). Yes, one is supposed to be able to get replacement parts for these,
but Sennheiser Canada has been difficult to deal with in the past.

What is most important to me is robustness/reliability and good isolation;
these are the phones that will go in my mobile kit and get dragged through
festivals and fields and all kinds of nonsense. High efficiency is also a
plus. Ultra fidelity isn't so important. Price is a bit of an issue, I'd
like to stay under $200.

Should I just say to heck with it and get a set of Sony MDR7506's? Or am I
missing something?

Dave O'H
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

On 5/15/2016 5:55 PM, Dave O'Heare wrote:
[...]

No specific recommendations... but if fidelity is unimportant and
durability is the most important factor, you should be able to get by
for well under $200. A Google search for "rugged headphones" turns up
quite a few, many are under $50.

FWIW, I've only had to replace the earpads on my 40+ year old Sennheiser
414s a few times, so I have no beef with the company's quality, but they
wouldn't be my first choice for something that gets rough handling.

--
Best regards,

Neil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 16/05/2016 9:55 a.m., Dave O'Heare wrote:
[...]

The Sonys are quite easy to tangle and break with the high
'foldability', as seem to be most of the ultra-swivelable models/brands.
I find Beyer DT 700 (etc) are very comfortable and durable in busy
situations, but take up a bit more space.

Philips do a great inexpensive headphone that seems very well-liked,
despite a massive notch at three kilohertz.

geoff.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave O'Heare wrote: "Should I just say to heck with it and get a set of Sony MDR7506's?"

There must be a reason why the 7506 and V6 still
seem to reside on the heads so many studio and
field engineers, cord tangle issues aside.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

geoff wrote:
On 16/05/2016 12:04 p.m., wrote:
Dave O'Heare wrote: "Should I just say to heck with it and get a set of Sony MDR7506's?"

There must be a reason why the 7506 and V6 still
seem to reside on the heads so many studio and
field engineers, cord tangle issues aside.

I find the 7506 over-bright and fatiguing. But fantastic bass -
realistic though ???

The 7506 and V6 have massively exaggerated top and bottom end, which makes
them very fatiguing but ALSO it makes them the perfect headphones for
Dave's field monitoring applications.

The exaggerations make it easier to hear noises and dropouts and tends
to exaggerate tape noise and air conditioning noise and the like. You
absolutely cannot judge placement of a vocal with them, but for hearing
how isolated a vocal track is, they are great.

I used the MDR V-6 for many years... the set that I bought from a small
town furniture store in 1987 are still in my field recording bag.
I will say that I mostly now use Etymotic in-ear phones with Peltor hearing
protectors worn over top, and that this combination has better isolation
and generally better fidelity than the MDR V-6. But the V-6 sometimes
gets pulled out just because it's rugged as hell and does one thing
extremely well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff, Scott:

So THOUSANDS of broadcast, field, and other
audio engineers, as well as casual listeners
*must* have had it all wrong for nearly three decades.

Shucks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 9:24:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
geoff, Scott:

So THOUSANDS of broadcast, field, and other
audio engineers, as well as casual listeners
*must* have had it all wrong for nearly three decades.

Shucks!

I agree with you. Seen too much 7506 applause; even Al Kooper recommends them.
I'll wait until my Philips headphones break, but possibly a long wait!!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote: "- show quoted text -
I agree with you. Seen too much 7506 applause; even Al Kooper recommends them.
I'll wait until my Philips headphones break, but possibly a long wait!!

Jack "

sigh... This newsgroup must operate in a
bubble.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ ****4brains.com wrote in message
geoff, Scott:

So THOUSANDS of broadcast, field, and other
audio engineers, as well as casual listeners
*must* have had it all wrong for nearly three decades.

Shucks!

Where did you get that from? Nothing Dorsey or geoff said indiacted
anything like that. You're just being a trolling dumb****. FCKWAFA.
Idiot.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ trollingDumb****.org wrote in message
sigh... This newsgroup must operate in a bubble.

No, it's just that you operate in a granite skull full of mush-brains.
You know nothing about what audio engineers use for monitoring.
Working at the hire-a-retard store doesn't give you any expertise in
the matter.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

.... wrote "No, it's just that you operate in a granite skull full of mush-brains.
You know nothing about what audio engineers use for monitoring.
Working at the hire-a-retard store doesn't give you any expertise in
the matter. "

And what make/model headphones do you use or
own?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ googletards.com crapped all over the thread with his
inability to properly format a response, because he's too stupid, in
message ...
And what make/model headphones do you use or own?

Why the **** would you care what phones I use? I have a good idea why,
because you're such a predictable troll, but won't give you any
material to further your trolling retard schtick. You've already
crapped your pants twice on this thread, pretending that you're
smarter than everyone. An impossibility for a dumb **** like you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
Um "3 decades " . Must have been in your tardis again.

"Wrong" ? - depends on what your requirements are. Unlike you
(presumably) I actually own and sometimes use a pair.

geoff "

You ASSumed wrong. I own the MDR-7506
and have no problem with its sound across
a wide variety of uses.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

..... wrote: "Why the **** would you care what phones I use? ..."

Thanks. That's all I need to know. I just
proved you're full of it again: Once several
months ago when you lied about telling me
where we met(you couldn't tell me!) and just
now, by not answering a simple question
about what headphone you use.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

theckhhhhmaaaaahh @ gmail.com showed his inability to format a
usenet reply in
geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -

Uh, no, geoff did not write '- show quoted text -
****ing ****-for-brains.

Um "3 decades " . Must have been in your tardis again.

"Wrong" ? - depends on what your requirements are. Unlike you
(presumably) I actually own and sometimes use a pair.

geoff "

You ASSumed wrong. I own the MDR-7506
and have no problem with its sound across
a wide variety of uses.

What do you use it for? It has no video monitor, so you can't watch
your crappy Badfinger MP3 files on it, and you obviously never listen
to anything. Do you use it to cover the earholes on your hockey helmet
to keep the stupid out? Not working, li'l buddy. YRA FMCWGFS. SBDF!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ braindeadRetard.com wrote in message
.... wrote: "Why the **** would you care what phones I use? ..."

Thanks. That's all I need to know. I just
proved you're full of it again: Once several
months ago when you lied about telling me
where we met(you couldn't tell me!) and just
now, by not answering a simple question
about what headphone you use.

So refusing to tell you "proves" something to you in your tiny little
bean-sized brain? You seem to really focus on where I met you. I've
explained it to you, but your squishy fecal brain matter could''t hold
on to it. Shall I tell you again, so you can whine yet again about how
I never told you? What happened to your certain knowledge that you
knew who I was? Now that was some genuine full-of-**** dumb****ery.

How is not answering your question considered anything other that
simply not answering your question?

I don't dance to your tune, li'l buddy, no matter how badly you sing
it. DF. KWIMLD? YNBASBDF. AARA.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

..... wrote: "What do you use it for? It has no video monitor, so you can't watch
your crappy Badfinger MP3 files on it, and you obviously never listen
to anything. Do you use it to cover the earholes on your hockey helmet
to keep the stupid out? Not working, li'l buddy. YRA FMCWGFS. SBDF! "

Yep. The above is all you're good for. Not
a single verb of audio advice or product
recommendation since you've been on my
case here.

At least I recommended peak-limiting only
the top 2dB at most, in mastering, instead
of the top 4 or 6. And that's only if necessary.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @gmail.com gugletarded in message
news:c95c418b-d17b-44a8-9b7d- Yep. The above is all you're good for.
Not
a single verb of audio advice or product
recommendation since you've been on my
case here.

Why would I give any audio advice to a dumb**** retard like you? I'm
not here to give you advice. Apparently, you don't even know what this
group is.

At least I recommended peak-limiting only
the top 2dB at most, in mastering, instead
of the top 4 or 6. And that's only if necessary.

There it is! Ride 'em cowboy, back you retarded dead hobby horse!

Those are numbers, li'l buddy. You've already said, many times, that
you don't understand numbers. You've proved it again. Why would anyone
give a **** about what a dumb **** does when he's looking at audio
files that he doesn't understand. Why would you think anyone cares
about some retarded dumb ****'s retarded hobby horses? Many people
here use their ears rather than your retarded little numbers, li'l
buddy.

OK, now you can pretend that I proved something in your addled
imagination, and then ride that hobby horse! DF.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
Well you didn't fully comprehend (surprise surprise) my sentence then,
which acknowledged the possibility that you might in fact have a pair.

You don't think that the 7506s are very bright and have spectacular but
unrealistic bass ?
Have you listened to many other headphones or quality speaker systems,
or know what uncoloured music sounds like ?

Funny story. When I first got the 7506s I was listening at home, late at
night, to Peter Gabriel "Shaking The Tree" only slightly loud on the
headphones when I had a panic attack that my main stereo speakers were
in fact turned on and the household was being wakened. I knew this
because I could feel the whole room vibrating to the bass. I tore the
headphones off and reached for the volume control. Except the speakers
were in fact not on at all.

geoff "

Never had that experience with them listening to
any track. I actually hear more bottom extension
out of my Sennheiser HD-280 Pros that from my
7506s.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thickskull @ googletards.com wrote in message
geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -

No he didn't. Why do you keep posting that nonsense? Is it just the
stupidity?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff:

Serious question: Are you aware of the noise
between your posts and mine in this thread?

Someone with the handle "None"?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 10:53:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
Um "3 decades " . Must have been in your tardis again.

"Wrong" ? - depends on what your requirements are. Unlike you
(presumably) I actually own and sometimes use a pair.

geoff "

You ASSumed wrong. I own the MDR-7506
and have no problem with its sound across
a wide variety of uses.

If Geoff says they are bad, you know it must be the truth. I mean, listen to the music he masters. Well, okay, I'm daydreaming, but still.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/05/2016 02:33, JackA wrote:
On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 9:24:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
geoff, Scott:

So THOUSANDS of broadcast, field, and other
audio engineers, as well as casual listeners
*must* have had it all wrong for nearly three decades.

Shucks!

I agree with you. Seen too much 7506 applause; even Al Kooper recommends them.
I'll wait until my Philips headphones break, but possibly a long wait!!

The 7506 does one job extremely well. It is not what we use for mixing
down, it is normally only used for revealing problems on location or
while tracking in the studio.

For mixing, a different system needs to be used, and for home listening,
the requirements are different again.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ braindamage.com wrote in message
geoff:

Serious question: Are you aware of the noise
between your posts and mine in this thread?

Someone with the handle "None"?

Are you aware of the brain damaged retard who keeps using the
newsgroup to wipe his asshole? Someone with the handle "THECKMA!" who
goes around with the rotting corpse of a dead hobby horse, of course
of course.

You can whimper about it being "noise", but you do like to respond to
me. Why is that, dumb ****?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Never had that experience with them listening to
any track. I actually hear more bottom extension
out of my Sennheiser HD-280 Pros that from my
7506s.

Check the pads on the 7506. They may not be sealing properly.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 4:20:26 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/05/2016 02:33, JackA wrote:
On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 9:24:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
geoff, Scott:

So THOUSANDS of broadcast, field, and other
audio engineers, as well as casual listeners
*must* have had it all wrong for nearly three decades.

Shucks!

I agree with you. Seen too much 7506 applause; even Al Kooper recommends them.
I'll wait until my Philips headphones break, but possibly a long wait!!

The 7506 does one job extremely well. It is not what we use for mixing
down, it is normally only used for revealing problems on location or
while tracking in the studio.

For mixing, a different system needs to be used, and for home listening,
the requirements are different again.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

I have to give Geoff a little credit, one or two reviews did claim the 7506's are overly bright. But it's REALLY, REALLY tough for me to believe reviews, when so very, very, very few grade sound quality of CDs.

However, his Beyer brand, twice the cost of my Philips, the headband commonly snaps!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

John Williamson writes:

Thunderbird/45.0

On 16/05/2016 02:33, JackA wrote:
On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 9:24:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
geoff, Scott:

So THOUSANDS of broadcast, field, and other
audio engineers, as well as casual listeners
*must* have had it all wrong for nearly three decades.

Shucks!

I agree with you. Seen too much 7506 applause; even Al Kooper recommends them.
I'll wait until my Philips headphones break, but possibly a long wait!!

The 7506 does one job extremely well. It is not what we use for mixing
down, it is normally only used for revealing problems on location or
while tracking in the studio.

For mixing, a different system needs to be used, and for home listening,
the requirements are different again.

Yes, the 7506 has the various issues noted. But it has one strong point where it
bests headphones costing a lot more money: the 7506 doesn't have that weird
plastic-y tonal quality typical of most dynamic headphones in the under US$500
range. While spectrally hyped, its tonality is quite reasonable.

And, as it turns out, the scooped response is useful for me: (a) I listen at fairly
low volumes when possible so the end octaves tend to droop. And (b), if I'm
backstage tracking a live event and have to crank the phones, I'll put in my generic
shop earplugs first. The HF loss due to the earplugs is roughly compensated via the
exaggerated top.

YMMV

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote: "Sadly. Every thread seems to inevitably turn into the same old same old ....

geoff "

Well I did ask you geoff: Do you see it's nasty
tirades? Or is it kill-filed so you see it only when
it is replied to? It seems to attack only me, so
it is personal, and it claims to know me from
somewhere, but never suggests where.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Dave O'Heare wrote: "
Well. *that* escalated quickly... "

Dave: We just need to ignore it and not let it
destroy good threads and good conversation.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @ gmail.com wrote in message
geoff wrote: "Sadly. Every thread seems to inevitably turn into the
same old same old ....

geoff "

Well I did ask you geoff: Do you see it's nasty tirades?

And he didnt answer, but you're intent on trolling.

Or is it kill-filed so you see it only when
it is replied to? It seems to attack only me, so
it is personal, and it claims to know me from
somewhere, but never suggests where.

How many times do I have to tell you? It may never get through your
gigantic pile of stupid.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

thekma @gmail.com wrote in message
Dave: We just need to ignore it and not let it
destroy good threads and good conversation.

Thing One, the dumb****, thinks that headphones should be chosen
because they are seen on engineers' heads ... without any
consideration of what the engineer is doing with them. Thing Two, the
nazi, thinks headphones should be chosen by reading online reviews and
spending as little as possible. Neither Thing (including you, li'l
buddy, Theckma) contributes any good conversation. Do you consider
whining about me to be good conversation? JFDSUB. FPWNRFO.

And neither one made any mention of how headphones sound. Thing One
(the retard) doesn't listen, it only cares about what audio looks like
on it's computer display, and Thing Two (the dog****) is nearly deaf
and doesn't even like music.

You just come here for the abuse; it's the closest thing you have to a
social life. In most newsgroups, your posts are ignored, and you end
up whining about that. But being a generous soul, I give you the
attention you crave. You're welcome, li'l buddy. You come here to
troll, trying to make me and others angry. When you are mocked for
being a dumb **** troll, you're the one who ends up getting angry.
Happens every time. And you're just not smart enough to figure it out.
KJFU. CKST.

RCA to Headphone converter: do not want wireless headphone hpeter Car Audio 4 September 26th 06 02:50 PM
Dolby headphone or just traditional Hi-Fi headphone? Taru Tech 0 July 17th 06 04:33 PM
Turntable shopping Filmophile High End Audio 19 February 16th 06 01:03 AM
Shopping for Speakers lynsam Tech 0 March 15th 04 07:37 PM
Shopping for a sub Anb Car Audio 8 August 17th 03 07:37 AM