Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default craigslist discovery

I realized today that if you put "-vintage" in the search box along with the
item you're trying to find, you will exclude all of the junk that people call
vintage. Try if with reel-to-reel recorders. A Wollensak is vintage?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik[_3_] Ron Capik[_3_] is offline

On 12/8/2010 5:15 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
I realized today that if you put "-vintage" in the search box along with the
item you're trying to find, you will exclude all of the junk that people call
vintage. Try if with reel-to-reel recorders. A Wollensak is vintage?

Hmmm, seems definition #10 might fit.

vin·tage
€‚ €‚/ˈvɪntɪdÊ’/ Show Spelled [vin-tij]
noun, adjective, verb, -taged, -tag·ing.

[...]
9.representing the high quality of a past time: vintage cars; vintage
movies.
10.old-fashioned or obsolete: vintage jokes.

Later...
Ron Capik
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Ron Capik wrote:
On 12/8/2010 5:15 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
I realized today that if you put "-vintage" in the search box along
with the item you're trying to find, you will exclude all of the
junk that people call vintage. Try if with reel-to-reel recorders. A
Wollensak is vintage?

Hmmm, seems definition #10 might fit.

vin·tage
€‚ €‚/ˈvɪntɪdÊ’/ Show Spelled [vin-tij]
noun, adjective, verb, -taged, -tag·ing.

[...]
9.representing the high quality of a past time: vintage cars; vintage
movies.
10.old-fashioned or obsolete: vintage jokes.

Totally depends on your age. To me, (I am 75) "vintage" refers to stuff from
the 30's through 50's. To my grandchildren, it can be as late as the 80's. I
really get a laugh when I tune in the radio to "Golden Oldies" music, and I
get stuff I can't even identify from the 80's.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Ron Capik wrote in
:

On 12/8/2010 5:15 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
I realized today that if you put "-vintage" in the search box along
with the item you're trying to find, you will exclude all of the junk
that people call vintage. Try if with reel-to-reel recorders. A
Wollensak is vintage?

Hmmm, seems definition #10 might fit.

vin·tage
€‚ €‚/ˈvɪntɪdÊ’/ Show Spelled [vin-tij]
noun, adjective, verb, -taged, -tag·ing.

[...]
9.representing the high quality of a past time: vintage cars; vintage
movies.
10.old-fashioned or obsolete: vintage jokes.

Cool. My dad's Wollensak has been in the carport for a couple of decades.
Maybe I can pull it out and auction it off as vintage gear! Still has its
original case and really bad microphones.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Dec 8, 4:15*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I realized today that if you put "-vintage" in the search box along with the
item you're trying to find, you will exclude all of the junk that people call
vintage. Try if with reel-to-reel recorders. A Wollensak is vintage?

The same expression also works on eBay, I use it all the time.

Problem is, most sellers are going to use one or more sales
"buzzwords"
and vintage is one of the most popular along with VTG, mint and rare.
So you won't see that "vintage" '57 Strat, not that you (or I) would
be able
to afford it.

The -(keyword) expression is very useful, though, when you identify a
word
that is giving a lot of false or undesirable hits.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Carey Carlan wrote:

Cool. My dad's Wollensak has been in the carport for a couple of decades.
Maybe I can pull it out and auction it off as vintage gear! Still has its
original case and really bad microphones.

Try the really bad mikes on a guitar amp. You never know, sometimes you
find something interesting.