Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79[_3_] adam79[_3_] is offline

Default 12ax7 vs 12ax7a

Is the 12ax7a the predecessor to the 7025 tube? A lower noise tube? I
found a 12ax7a that I think is a Mullard, but I'm not 100% sure.. all
I have is a picture. If someone could take a look at it and tell me if
they recognize the tube, I'd appreciate it. Here's a link to the
pictu http://members.toast.net/adam79/12ax7a.png

Thanks,
-Adam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/3/2010 1:42 AM, adam79 wrote:
Is the 12ax7a the predecessor to the 7025 tube? A lower noise tube?

Not necessarily. An "A" version is usually ruggedized, or
lower microphonic, or with different heat dissipation
characteristics.

I found a 12ax7a that I think is a Mullard, but I'm not 100% sure.. all
I have is a picture.

How does that picture sound in your amplifier? Really,
what's all this nonsense about? Tubes are all different. If
you wan to mess with them, mess with them and enjoy your
successes and failures. Nobody can tell you from a picture
just what a tube will do or even if it's any good at all.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
adam79[_3_] adam79[_3_] is offline

On Dec 3, 7:34*am, Mike Rivers wrote:

How does that picture sound in your amplifier? *Really,
what's all this nonsense about? Tubes are all different. If
you wan to mess with them, mess with them and enjoy your
successes and failures. Nobody can tell you from a picture
just what a tube will do or even if it's any good at all.

Haha.. I fully understand the risk of buying a tube online and I
wasn't asking how the picture will sound! I asked if anyone
recognized the tube as a Mullard. I've seen a couple Mullard 12AX7A
tubes, but not one with red markings.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

adam79 wrote:
Is the 12ax7a the predecessor to the 7025 tube? A lower noise tube? I
found a 12ax7a that I think is a Mullard, but I'm not 100% sure.. all
I have is a picture. If someone could take a look at it and tell me if
they recognize the tube, I'd appreciate it. Here's a link to the
pictu http://members.toast.net/adam79/12ax7a.png

These days basically the tube numbers don't mean anything any more.

The RCA 7025 was 12AX7 with a different heater and cathode design and
slightly different grid support. It had reduced cathode leakage for
lower hum, and slightly lower average noise.

Here is the datasheet:
http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/hb...art_2/7025.PDF

However, when you buy anything that isn't the original tube, the numbers
really don't mean anything. The "Sovtek 7025" doesn't necessary share any
construction details with the original RCA or meet the original specs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Dec 3, 12:42*am, adam79 wrote:
Is the 12ax7a the predecessor to the 7025 tube? A lower noise tube? I
found a 12ax7a that I think is a Mullard, but I'm not 100% sure.. all
I have is a picture. If someone could take a look at it and tell me if
they recognize the tube, I'd appreciate it. Here's a link to the
pictuhttp://members.toast.net/adam79/12ax7a.png

The 12AX7A was the revised version for controlled heater warmup.
This was due to the use of tubes with their heaters wired in series,
typical of lower priced TV sets and "5 tube" radios.

The 7025 was the "low noise" version of the 12AX7A.
Fender used the 7025 for the low level stages in nearly all of the
most highly regarded amps from the late '50s on.

After a certain point in the '60s, pretty much everything US made
was built to the low noise and controlled warmup specs, regardless
of how it was labeled.

Sorry, I can't be of much help with the tube ID not being very
familiar
with Mullards or European tubes, but I have seen both RCAs and GEs
with the hole halfway down the plate.

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro
crow[_3_] crow[_3_] is offline

On Dec 3, 1:42*am, adam79 wrote:
Is the 12ax7a the predecessor to the 7025 tube? A lower noise tube? I
found a 12ax7a that I think is a Mullard, but I'm not 100% sure.. all
I have is a picture. If someone could take a look at it and tell me if
they recognize the tube, I'd appreciate it. Here's a link to the
pictuhttp://members.toast.net/adam79/12ax7a.png

Thanks,
-Adam

Tubes with 4 digit names (like 7025, 5881, 6550, 7027, etc) are
military spec.

A '12AX7A' scored better on some QC test at the factory (probably for
low noise) than some of it's 'still within spec' brethern who didn't
get the 'A' designation.

'ECC-xx' denotes a European origin.

if it sounds good...IT IS GOOD!
jepp
Posted to rec.audio.pro

crow wrote:
Tubes with 4 digit names (like 7025, 5881, 6550, 7027, etc) are
military spec.

No. There are plenty of commercial and industrial types with
that numbering scheme in the RCA book. That just indicates that
it's not a consumer electronics type.

Just about any tube could be ordered with mil-spec certification and
the tube numbers normally would not indicate it unless it was a JAN
tube with a particular JAN number. But just because it doesn't have
a JAN number doesn't mean it didn't come with a certificate originally.

A '12AX7A' scored better on some QC test at the factory (probably for
low noise) than some of it's 'still within spec' brethern who didn't
get the 'A' designation.

This is true for some manufacturers at some time. Realize that for
modern tubes they may just have the 12AX7A stamped on them with no
testing and no attempt to actually lower the noise in the production.

'ECC-xx' denotes a European origin.

More than that, though. It says it's a dual triode.

Although of course these days with rampant relabelling going on, you
can't even count on anything.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Quintal Bob Quintal is offline

(Scott Dorsey) wrote in
:

crow wrote:
Tubes with 4 digit names (like 7025, 5881, 6550, 7027, etc) are
military spec.

No. There are plenty of commercial and industrial types with
that numbering scheme in the RCA book. That just indicates that
it's not a consumer electronics type.

Crow is (partially) correct. the numbers system was ceated by the
DoD.
You are (partially) correct. The parts in the RCA and Sylvania
catalogs are tubes that meet the MIL-PRF-1 specification.
The manufacturers are allowed to sell these.

[...]

PA is y I've altered my address.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Zvonimir Ervacic Zvonimir Ervacic is offline

Dana 5 Dec 2010 21:35:15 -0500,
umjetnik/ca Scott Dorsey je napisao/la...
'ECC-xx' denotes a European origin.

More than that, though. It says it's a dual triode.

Even more E stands for 6.3v heater. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/6/2010 6:31 AM, Zvonimir Ervacic wrote:

'ECC-xx' denotes a European origin.

More than that, though. It says it's a dual triode.

Even more E stands for 6.3v heater. :-)

Really? Isn't an ECC-83 a 12AX7? And doesn't the 12 indicate
a 12V filament? Sure, it's center-tapped and the common
configuration is with the two halves in parallel and powered
by 6V, but end-to-end it's designed for 12V.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/6/2010 6:31 AM, Zvonimir Ervacic wrote:

'ECC-xx' denotes a European origin.
More than that, though. It says it's a dual triode.

Even more E stands for 6.3v heater. :-)

Really? Isn't an ECC-83 a 12AX7? And doesn't the 12 indicate a 12V
filament? Sure, it's center-tapped and the common configuration is with
the two halves in parallel and powered by 6V, but end-to-end it's
designed for 12V.

No, E means 6.3V like in EF86.

Cheers

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/6/2010 2:02 PM, Ian Bell wrote:

No, E means 6.3V like in EF86.

That must be a different "E" than in ECC83. This, to me,
suggests that such a convention is meaningless.

Perhaps the prefix "EF" means "E type Filaments" which, some
people know as 6 volts, and "ECC" means something completely
different. It's why I have a tube manual.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/6/2010 2:02 PM, Ian Bell wrote:

No, E means 6.3V like in EF86.

That must be a different "E" than in ECC83. This, to me,
suggests that such a convention is meaningless.

No, the convention is very meaningful.

First character is filament voltage. The ECC83 has two 6.3V filaments,
so it's considered a 6V tube.

Perhaps the prefix "EF" means "E type Filaments" which, some
people know as 6 volts, and "ECC" means something completely
different. It's why I have a tube manual.

No, the F is for signal pentode.

In ECC, the CC implies it is a dual triode.

If it were EB, it would be a diode, if it were EH it would be a
pentagrid converter.

The whole numbering system is in the Telefunken tube manual. It is much
more useful than the American system.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/6/2010 2:02 PM, Ian Bell wrote:

No, E means 6.3V like in EF86.

That must be a different "E" than in ECC83. This, to me, suggests that
such a convention is meaningless.

Perhaps the prefix "EF" means "E type Filaments" which, some people know
as 6 volts, and "ECC" means something completely different. It's why I
have a tube manual.

I used mainly Mullard valves many years ago.

E indicated a 6.3 volt heater, other first letters other heater types.
Second letter B meant a diode, C a triode, F a tetrode and L a pentode.
The numbers were to distinguish among the classes. ECC81 was two triodes
in one case, with 6.3 volt heaters, which, in this case shared a common
earth. EBBxx would mean a dual diode with 6.3 volt heaters and so on.
Many (Especially TV set related) valves were designed so that the total
heater voltage across the chain added up to the local mains voltage,
with all heaters working at the same current, with different voltages
according to needed dissipation.

IME, most European manufacturers listed Mullard compatible type numbers
for their valves.

There's a complete(ish) reference he-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8128047/Mullard-Valves-Tubes

One trick used to reduce hum in some hi-fi valve amps was to use a
smoothed DC supply for the heaters.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Dec 6, 3:16*pm, John Williamson
wrote:

One trick used to reduce hum in some hi-fi valve amps was to use a
smoothed DC supply for the heaters.

Another, cheaper way was to float an AC filament winding up about 75V;
one way to do that is to connect the center-tap of the filament
winding to a high-resistance voltage divider from the B+. It still
works.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/6/2010 4:16 PM, John Williamson wrote:

There's a complete(ish) reference he-

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8128047/Mullard-Valves-Tubes

I stand educated. Still, it's good to have a tube manual if
you don't work with this stuff all the time, which I don't.
My memory is short enough now so that I shouldn't try to
remember such things that I don't use often.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/6/2010 2:02 PM, Ian Bell wrote:

No, E means 6.3V like in EF86.

That must be a different "E" than in ECC83. This, to me, suggests that
such a convention is meaningless.

Perhaps the prefix "EF" means "E type Filaments" which, some people know
as 6 volts, and "ECC" means something completely different. It's why I
have a tube manual.

As I understand it, F means pentode. E might mean low filament voltage rather
than 6.3 V - the high filament voltage types for use in TVs all begin with U -
e.g. UF86 etc. B means diode, C means triode and L means power pentode. So ECL86
is a triode with a power pentode in the same envelope. I think I have an old
Mullard book somewhere that has then key to these strange hieroglyphics. I'll
see if I can find it.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/7/2010 6:26 AM, Ian Bell wrote:

As I understand it, F means pentode. E might mean low
filament voltage rather than 6.3 V - the high filament
voltage types for use in TVs all begin with U - e.g. UF86
etc. B means diode, C means triode and L means power
pentode. So ECL86 is a triode with a power pentode in the
same envelope.

I got to wondering just why this is useful information. I
suppose it's one way of coming up with a system for naming
tubes, but 50 years later, it's really not important to me
to look at a tube and know that it's a dual triode with 6
volt filaments. Or is it? If I'm looking to replace the
tube with one of a different type, I probably need more
information than that.

Educate me.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/7/2010 6:26 AM, Ian Bell wrote:

As I understand it, F means pentode. E might mean low
filament voltage rather than 6.3 V - the high filament
voltage types for use in TVs all begin with U - e.g. UF86
etc. B means diode, C means triode and L means power
pentode. So ECL86 is a triode with a power pentode in the
same envelope.

I got to wondering just why this is useful information. I suppose it's
one way of coming up with a system for naming tubes, but 50 years later,
it's really not important to me to look at a tube and know that it's a
dual triode with 6 volt filaments. Or is it? If I'm looking to replace
the tube with one of a different type, I probably need more information
than that.

Educate me.

Pass. It was already there when I got interested in valves, as we call them over
here, as a kid in the 50s. You soon learnt the basic code and it came in handy
because most of my valves came from scrap TV sets so even if you did not know
that particular valve you had a basic idea of what it was just from its ident
but I think it applies mainly to the all glass types B9A and B7G bases. Octal
bases were a whole different ball game and probably copied the American system.
I know I used 6V6 and 6J7 in those days for example.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ian Bell wrote:

As I understand it, F means pentode. E might mean low filament voltage rather
than 6.3 V -

No, it really does mean 6.3V. Other lower voltages have different letters,
for example, D indicates a 1.4V filament, A indicates a 4V filament.

the high filament voltage types for use in TVs all begin with U -
e.g. UF86 etc.

U tubes are intended for series strings, they draw 100 mA at any given
voltage. Most of them can be driven from a constant-voltage source at 12.6V
but not necessarily.

There are some other oddities... P indicates a tube intended for constant
current drive with 300mA filament current, for a series string.

B means diode, C means triode and L means power pentode. So ECL86
is a triode with a power pentode in the same envelope. I think I have an old
Mullard book somewhere that has then key to these strange hieroglyphics. I'll
see if I can find it.

They are also listed in Aspen Pittman's _The Tube Amp Book_.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/7/2010 6:26 AM, Ian Bell wrote:

As I understand it, F means pentode. E might mean low
filament voltage rather than 6.3 V - the high filament
voltage types for use in TVs all begin with U - e.g. UF86
etc. B means diode, C means triode and L means power
pentode. So ECL86 is a triode with a power pentode in the
same envelope.

I got to wondering just why this is useful information. I
suppose it's one way of coming up with a system for naming
tubes, but 50 years later, it's really not important to me
to look at a tube and know that it's a dual triode with 6
volt filaments. Or is it?

If someone hands you a radio that has one pentagrid converter, three
pentodes, one rectifier, and one beam power tube, I bet you can figure
out exactly which function each one of them has.

And yes, the pentode closest to the beam power tube is the detector.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
dbd dbd is offline

On Dec 7, 6:06*am, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 12/7/2010 6:26 AM, Ian Bell wrote:
Educate me.

numbering systems
http://www.tubedata.info/tubnum.html

tube substitutes
http://www.tubedata.info/usa2for.html

Dale B. Dalrymple
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hank Hank is offline

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:

If someone hands you a radio that has one pentagrid converter, three
pentodes, one rectifier, and one beam power tube, I bet you can figure
out exactly which function each one of them has.

And yes, the pentode closest to the beam power tube is the detector.
--scott

And I'd be inclined to suspect that the pentode in the socket nearest
the beam power tube is wired for a dual diode/triode tube.

Hank

12ax7a vs 12ax7 Cipher Vacuum Tubes 11 May 4th 09 04:18 AM
12AX7 OR 12AX7A ON PENDULUM mdp-1 FRAN Pro Audio 3 June 13th 05 10:22 AM
12AX7 vs. 12AX7A wwww Vacuum Tubes 9 December 22nd 04 06:13 PM
12AX7A > 6N2P-EV Raja Abdul Razak Vacuum Tubes 2 December 14th 04 01:31 PM
Looking for 12AX7A tubes Powell Audio Opinions 23 April 12th 04 09:34 PM