Posted to rec.audio.pro
Stephen Griesgraber Stephen Griesgraber is offline

Default Speaker repair in NYC

Can anyone recommend a service center in NYC for a Dynaudio BM6A?

Surprisingly (or not), TC Electronics/Dynaudio's online customer
support took 3 days to get back to me, offered no meaningful help and
then "closed the case" when I failed to write back to them over the
Thanksgiving weekend. They suggested I call an authorized dealer.

Calling the non-Guitar Center authorized dealers in the city proved to
be somewhat unhelpful since I hadn't purchased the speakers from them
(bought them used.)

Basically one of the two monitors farts out on low frequencies at high
volumes and overall the speaker doesn't sound the same as the other
when playing test tones and white noise. Not sure if it's one of the
drivers or the amplifier.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Stephen Griesgraber" wrote in message

Basically one of the two monitors farts out on low frequencies
at high volumes and overall the speaker doesn't sound the same
as the other when playing test tones and white noise. Not sure
if it's one of the drivers or the amplifier.

Swapping the amplifier will reveal whether the amp is the problem.

Superficially, it sounds like a blown driver. You might also open the
cabinet and see if anything is impeding the driver's motion.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Stephen Griesgraber wrote:

Surprisingly (or not), TC Electronics/Dynaudio's online customer
support took 3 days to get back to me, offered no meaningful help

I have one piece of TC kit and I will have no more. Died in warranty and
getting it fixed by them took months.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Stephen Griesgraber Stephen Griesgraber is offline

Yeah, not surprising. It's amazing how bad customer service has
become with the big companies. On that note, I'll take this
opportunity to say that when I bought a Grace 801 on eBay that was in
far lesser condition than advertised, Grace happily went above and
beyond to get it working as good as new for me - and it was still
under warranty! A company I'd gladly do business with again!

William, the BM6As are active, so swapping the amp means buying a new
one (or taking the amp out of the "good" speaker and installing it in
the problematic one.) When doing this sort of thing, I often find
myself doing more harm than good, which is why I'd prefer to go to a
tech.

--
shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.htmlhttp://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidriAlrichwithDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Stephen Griesgraber" wrote in message
Yeah, not surprising. It's amazing how bad customer service has
become with the big companies. On that note, I'll take this
opportunity to say that when I bought a Grace 801 on eBay that was in
far lesser condition than advertised, Grace happily went above and
beyond to get it working as good as new for me - and it was still
under warranty! A company I'd gladly do business with again!

William, the BM6As are active, so swapping the amp means buying a new
one (or taking the amp out of the "good" speaker and installing it in
the problematic one.) When doing this sort of thing, I often find
myself doing more harm than good, which is why I'd prefer to go to a
tech.

I had a pair of Active Tannoys in for repair with a blown tweeter, which was
extraordinarily expensive to replace. Good job I always check the amp
because this ones Tweeter amp channel was DC and would have immediately
destroyed the new tweeter.

So don't swap amps between speakers without first checking them properly.
As well as checking for DC, I always run both LF and HF amp outs through my
300W test speaker - this checks for bangs and crackles and that its
crossing over correctly, and anything else that may have caused the original
damage.

Gareth.

speaker repair [email protected] Tech 57 July 3rd 08 05:28 AM
speaker repair The One[_2_] High End Audio 1 June 15th 08 03:55 PM
speaker repair [email protected] Marketplace 0 June 9th 08 02:39 PM
Speaker Repair in STL by The Speaker and Stereo Store Wylie Williams Marketplace 0 May 11th 06 10:08 PM
speaker repair Michael Sacks General 2 September 4th 04 01:57 PM