Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Cheap SPDIF Converter

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card that has analog and SPDIF inputs and
outputs. For one project, I need to use all four inputs as analog inputs. Other
than my Otari DAT recorder, I can't think of a piece of equipment that I can
connect SPDIF to let me connect four analog inputs. Help me be creative in
coming up with a cheap analog-to-SPDIF converter. Super high fidelity is not
necessary, but noise is important.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card that has analog and SPDIF inputs
and
outputs. For one project, I need to use all four inputs as analog inputs.
Other
than my Otari DAT recorder, I can't think of a piece of equipment that I
can
connect SPDIF to let me connect four analog inputs. Help me be creative in
coming up with a cheap analog-to-SPDIF converter. Super high fidelity is
not
necessary, but noise is important.

A broken DAT player, that you could get for nothing maybe.

Even though the heads may be toast, they will still perform as Analogue to
SPDIF converters when switched to Monitor.

Why not use the Otari?

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 11/19/2010 2:04 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

Help me be creative in
coming up with a cheap analog-to-SPDIF converter. Super high fidelity is not
necessary, but noise is important.

If you can find a Midiman (M-Audio) Flying Calf, that would
work. It's one of the least expensive A/D converters made,
but it was discontinued several years ago. Or the Flying
Calf (which is both A/D and D/A). For some reason there
seems to be only one Cow on eBay at the moment, for about 4x
what I think it should go for, and several Flying Calfs for
at least twice what they should go for. Maybe it's a
classic. Who'd have thunk it?

Just as well to use your DAT recorder.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/19/2010 3:59 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card that has analog and SPDIF
inputs and
outputs. For one project, I need to use all four inputs as analog
inputs. Other
than my Otari DAT recorder, I can't think of a piece of equipment that
I can
connect SPDIF to let me connect four analog inputs. Help me be
creative in
coming up with a cheap analog-to-SPDIF converter. Super high fidelity
is not
necessary, but noise is important.

A broken DAT player, that you could get for nothing maybe.

Even though the heads may be toast, they will still perform as Analogue
to SPDIF converters when switched to Monitor.

Why not use the Otari?

My brother has it, and it's very big.