Posted to rec.audio.pro
Henry Tjernlund Henry Tjernlund is offline

Default damp mic

Hello, I bought a shotgun mic last year and have helped out on some
student projects. On one project we were out in the cold damp (some
light misty rain) for several hours. I imaging that the dampness can
get into a shotgun mic and cause problems.

So, what is the best way to make sure a mic is properly dry? Is air
drying at room temp good enough? Can any light warmth be applied?

I recall seeing somewhere that a non-lubricated condom can be used to
keep a shotgun mic dry, but another sound person I talked to seemed to
feel that using a condom was a bad idea. I don't have a budget for
expensive accessories. THe mic does have a foam cover and I got a
furry "dead cat" for better wind protection.

Anyway, again, whats the best way to dry a damp mic.

Thanks,
Henry
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

"Henry Tjernlund" wrote in message
Hello, I bought a shotgun mic last year and have helped out on some
student projects. On one project we were out in the cold damp (some
light misty rain) for several hours. I imaging that the dampness can
get into a shotgun mic and cause problems.

So, what is the best way to make sure a mic is properly dry? Is air
drying at room temp good enough? Can any light warmth be applied?

I recall seeing somewhere that a non-lubricated condom can be used to
keep a shotgun mic dry, but another sound person I talked to seemed to
feel that using a condom was a bad idea. I don't have a budget for
expensive accessories. THe mic does have a foam cover and I got a
furry "dead cat" for better wind protection.

Anyway, again, whats the best way to dry a damp mic.

Thanks,
Henry

If it just got damp/wet with clean water, I would let it dry in a clean,
warm environment naturally, with a little time, like in your living room. If
it got soaked with dirty, or salt water, well that's a different story, and
it should probably be disassembled and cleaned by someone who knows what he
is doing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Justin[_2_] Justin[_2_] is offline

On Nov 18, 11:45*pm, Henry Tjernlund wrote:
Hello, I bought a shotgun mic last year and have helped out on some
student projects. On one project we were out in the cold damp (some
light misty rain) for several hours. I imaging *that the dampness can
get into a shotgun mic and cause problems.

So, what is the best way to make sure a mic is properly dry? Is air
drying at room temp good enough? Can any light warmth be applied?

I recall seeing somewhere that a non-lubricated condom can be used to
keep a shotgun mic dry, but another sound person I talked to seemed to
feel that using a condom was a bad idea. I don't have a budget for
expensive accessories. THe mic does have a foam cover and I got a
furry "dead cat" for better wind protection.

Anyway, again, whats the best way to dry a damp mic.

Thanks,
Henry

I have found the condoms on microphones cause a coloration to the
sound which i dislike. The method is often used when recording in
shallow water and not having a hydrophone.

The best [on a budget] way to manage humidity that I found is to get
some desiccant bags, buy a bunch they are cheap. Throw one or two in
your mic cases while not using the mic. It keep it nice and not
humid

Also, if you are concerned with the state of the mic now, put the
capsule (with the metal grill on) in a tub of rice (make sure the rice
can not get in the grill). Rice is a natural desiccant. This also
works good when you drop your cellphone in the toilet.:P
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Henry Tjernlund wrote:
Hello, I bought a shotgun mic last year and have helped out on some
student projects. On one project we were out in the cold damp (some
light misty rain) for several hours. I imaging that the dampness can
get into a shotgun mic and cause problems.

Could be. What kind is it?

So, what is the best way to make sure a mic is properly dry? Is air
drying at room temp good enough? Can any light warmth be applied?

When you aren't using it, put it in a sealed bag with some dessicant
packs. Ask your local sushi restaurant for a bunch of the "do not eat"
dessicants that come with nori. Or buy some on Ebay.

I recall seeing somewhere that a non-lubricated condom can be used to
keep a shotgun mic dry, but another sound person I talked to seemed to
feel that using a condom was a bad idea. I don't have a budget for
expensive accessories. THe mic does have a foam cover and I got a
furry "dead cat" for better wind protection.

The condom is remarkably effective and will kill a lot of the top end, but
sometimes it's necessary. You can put an SM-57 in a condom, seal it up
with a little chewing gum at the seal, and submerge it at least down to
fifty feet without damage.

Anyway, again, whats the best way to dry a damp mic.

Put it in the dessicant bag. And always keep it there when you aren't
using it.

If it's a 416, you will be amazed at how insensitive to moisture it is...
the Sennheiser RF scheme really does wonders. If it's a Schoeps, well,
keep it dry.