Posted to rec.audio.pro
apa apa is offline

Default Tapping line outs from mixer insert points

I was asked by a student group here if they could get a multi-track
recording of their talent night. I don't have a multi channel
splitter and the level of the event really doesn't warrant getting
one. The venue has a mixer with unused TRS insert jacks on the input
channels. I cut the RCA ends off an old RCA to 1/4 inch snake and
wired a trs plug on the end with the tip and sleeve connected. I
figure I can use this to tap the individual channels and feed them
into my motu 24 i/o for a down and dirty multi-track recording. I
figure I'm OK as long as the trims stay put after set up and level
adjustments are done with the faders. I tested it and it seems to work
fine. Is there any reason this is a bad idea that hasn't occurred to
me yet?

Thanks, Andy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Nov 10, 2:22*pm, apa wrote:
I was asked by a student group here if they could get a multi-track
recording of their talent night. *I don't have a multi channel
splitter and the level of the event really doesn't warrant getting
one. The venue has a mixer with unused TRS insert jacks on the input
channels. I cut the RCA ends off an old RCA to 1/4 inch snake and
wired a trs plug on the end with the tip and sleeve connected. I
figure I can use this to tap the individual channels and feed them
into my motu 24 i/o for a down and dirty multi-track recording. I
figure I'm OK as long as the trims stay put after set up and level
adjustments are done with the faders. I tested it and it seems to work
fine. Is there any reason this is a bad idea that hasn't occurred to
me yet?

Nope. If there's a sound check make sure you're not getting any levels
hot enough to clip the MOTU's inputs, otherwise you're good to go.
This is a classic way to do it.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

On Nov 10, 2:22*pm, apa wrote:
I was asked by a student group here if they could get a multi-track
recording of their talent night. *I don't have a multi channel
splitter and the level of the event really doesn't warrant getting
one. The venue has a mixer with unused TRS insert jacks on the input
channels. I cut the RCA ends off an old RCA to 1/4 inch snake and
wired a trs plug on the end with the tip and sleeve connected. I
figure I can use this to tap the individual channels and feed them
into my motu 24 i/o for a down and dirty multi-track recording. I
figure I'm OK as long as the trims stay put after set up and level
adjustments are done with the faders. I tested it and it seems to work
fine. Is there any reason this is a bad idea that hasn't occurred to
me yet?

Thanks, Andy

It's the tip and _ring_ you want to tie together at the insert end.
The sleeve is ground/shield at both ends.
But I'm sure that's what you meant to say ;-

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 11/10/2010 3:22 PM, apa wrote:

The venue has a mixer with unused TRS insert jacks on the input
channels. I cut the RCA ends off an old RCA to 1/4 inch snake and
wired a trs plug on the end with the tip and sleeve connected. I
figure I can use this to tap the individual channels and feed them
into my motu 24 i/o for a down and dirty multi-track recording.

If you mean that you connected the center conductor of the snake cable
to the tip and the shield to the sleeve, then you only did half of the
job. That will get you a signal to the recorder, but since inserting the
plug all the way breaks the normalling contacts, you won't get the
signal through the mixer to the PA. so since you said it appears to
work, I suspect that you're inserting the plug half way so the tip
connects to the ring contact of the jack. If you do this, then you
really don't need a TRS plug on the mixer end.

What you should do is put a jumper between the tip and ring of the plug
and connect your hot "tap" lead to that. This way you can put the plug
in all the way, keep the signal path in the mixer intact beween the mic
preamp output and the next stage. And when you insert the plug all the
way, you don't have to risk it falling out, making bad contact, or being
pushed in far enough to break the signal path in the mixer.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

apa wrote:
I was asked by a student group here if they could get a multi-track
recording of their talent night. I don't have a multi channel
splitter and the level of the event really doesn't warrant getting
one. The venue has a mixer with unused TRS insert jacks on the input
channels. I cut the RCA ends off an old RCA to 1/4 inch snake and
wired a trs plug on the end with the tip and sleeve connected. I
figure I can use this to tap the individual channels and feed them
into my motu 24 i/o for a down and dirty multi-track recording. I
figure I'm OK as long as the trims stay put after set up and level
adjustments are done with the faders. I tested it and it seems to work
fine. Is there any reason this is a bad idea that hasn't occurred to
me yet?

The trims DO need to stay put, you can't run a very long cable, and
you will be in the PA operator's lap. But it is entirely workable.

DO NOT forget to add some ambient microphones and some audience spot
mikes. The PA guys don't need that stuff, but when you want to mix
down, you will. Ambient stage mikes are a nice thing too because
sooner or later you will have performers who are off-mike.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
apa apa is offline

On Nov 10, 6:19*pm, RD Jones wrote:
On Nov 10, 2:22*pm, apa wrote:

[...]

Right - that's what I meant. Sometime my inability to proofread
astounds me. Thanks.

Best, Andy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
apa apa is offline

On Nov 11, 10:49*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
apa wrote:
[...]

Good advice thanks.
Best, Andy