Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default USB Mic Converters

After reading multiple reviews on the various XLR-to-USB mic converters, I
bought a Blue Icicle (primarily because that's what my dealer had on the shelf
at the moment.) It's a neat little tool to have in the toolbox, but the gain is
a little low for my application when used with a dynamic mic. It's find with a
condenser. Has anyone compared the Icicle with the Shure, CEntrance, MXL, or
Marshall units for overall gain?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 08:46:09 -0500, mcp6453 wrote
(in article ) :

After reading multiple reviews on the various XLR-to-USB mic converters, I
bought a Blue Icicle (primarily because that's what my dealer had on the

shelf
at the moment.) It's a neat little tool to have in the toolbox, but the gain
is
a little low for my application when used with a dynamic mic. It's find with

condenser. Has anyone compared the Icicle with the Shure, CEntrance, MXL, or
Marshall units for overall gain?

For $60, and because in their specs they don't mention 16 or 24 bit, I'm
guessing it's 16-bit. 24-bit is better.

No headphone amp or jack so you'll be listening through the latency of your
computer if you plug headphones into it.

I just went with the Mic Port Pro from Centrance. Centrance has a headphone
jack and enough power to hear what you're doing. On my Senneheiser 421
dynamic, it works just fine for singing.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Mann Richard Mann is offline

Has anyone used multiple USB mic interfaces in a multitrack recording package?
If so, what software did you use? If not a direct software solution, has
anyone linked interfaces together with ASIO4AlL or a similar system?

I'm thinking of using a pair of USB mic interfaces for stereo recording, or
even three or four of them.

Richard
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/8/2010 10:48 AM, Richard Mann wrote:
Has anyone used multiple USB mic interfaces in a multitrack recording package?
If so, what software did you use? If not a direct software solution, has
anyone linked interfaces together with ASIO4AlL or a similar system?

I'm thinking of using a pair of USB mic interfaces for stereo recording, or
even three or four of them.

I previously researched this question and came up with a "sort of" answer. If
you're using Windows with build-in USB ports, and if you're using identical USB
mics with identical drivers, Windows will probably have a problem detecting the
mics. If you use different mics and drivers, it may work. YMMV
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Richard Mann" wrote in message
| Has anyone used multiple USB mic interfaces in a multitrack recording
package?
| If so, what software did you use? If not a direct software solution, has
| anyone linked interfaces together with ASIO4AlL or a similar system?
|
| I'm thinking of using a pair of USB mic interfaces for stereo recording,
or
| even three or four of them.
|
| Richard

Centrance claims that two or more of their USB interfaces will work
together. Check out their web site. I have a Centrance and have been very
pleased with the sound quality, while using a variety of microphones.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 11/8/2010 10:48 AM, Richard Mann wrote:
Has anyone used multiple USB mic interfaces in a multitrack recording package?

I'm thinking of using a pair of USB mic interfaces for stereo recording, or
even three or four of them.

The idea seems kind of diceyto me, but most of the microphone
manufacturers say you can do it. I know that CEntrance has a universal
driver for their microphone interfaces that they say will talk to
multiple units (theirs) and I believe them. But I've never tried it
since I have only one MicPort Pro. Maybe Ty and I should get together
for lunch one day and bring our MicPorts.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 10:48:56 -0500, Richard Mann wrote
(in article ):

Has anyone used multiple USB mic interfaces in a multitrack recording

package?
If so, what software did you use? If not a direct software solution, has
anyone linked interfaces together with ASIO4AlL or a similar system?

I'm thinking of using a pair of USB mic interfaces for stereo recording, or
even three or four of them.

Richard

Mic Port Pro and Axe Port Pro worked simultaneously into my Apple Mac Book
running Garage Band last week.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 01:58:16 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

On 11/8/2010 10:48 AM, Richard Mann wrote:
Has anyone used multiple USB mic interfaces in a multitrack recording
package?

I'm thinking of using a pair of USB mic interfaces for stereo recording, or
even three or four of them.

The idea seems kind of diceyto me, but most of the microphone
manufacturers say you can do it. I know that CEntrance has a universal
driver for their microphone interfaces that they say will talk to
multiple units (theirs) and I believe them. But I've never tried it
since I have only one MicPort Pro. Maybe Ty and I should get together
for lunch one day and bring our MicPorts.

Not that I wouldn't want to have lunch with you, good sir, but did that, got
the t-shirt and the key chain. My MacBook is running 10.5 something.

You coming to Charm City any time soon?